Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doriona4

2.5% vs 10% benzoyl peroxide question

so i now know that the 2.5% cream is less irritating than the 10% cream. but not for me. i just started using dans regimen about a month ago. for the first week i was using a spot treatment i already had. acnefree's terminator 10. its a 10% benzoyl peroxide formula. and after reading more into the info on this site, i decided to try the reccomended neutrogena on-the-spot instead.

so after a week of using that my face turned bright red and started flaking really bad. even my moisturizer stung after using it, which never happened with acnefree's product. i stopped doing the regimen for a few days and even switched moisturizers from neutrogena to cetephil. after only one night after cetaphils product my face wasnt red anymore, and a week later it stopped flaking. so i went back to acnefree terminator and im fine. its a little red after i first apply it but that goes away in about 30 min.

so now im confused. why does the 10% not bother my skin so much as the 2.5%? should i even consider dan's bp? i used the same amount of bp with both products (two finger lengths) but a huge difference in results. i am finally starting to clear up really well. im 23 and had acne since 13 and i have never had my skin this nice since then. but the acnefree is pricey, and dans bp is not.

so my main question is how similar is dans bp and neutrogenas? i dont want to waste my money and look like a tomato, but i dont understand why the smaller concentration of bp made my face that way? any advice?

2.5% BP is definitely less irritating and drying than 10% BP. The most likly explanation for your case is some ingredient other than BP in On-the-spot is not liked by your skin.

I did use acnefree sometime in the past and my skin had no problems with it, but since I was not doing Dans regimen, the results were not impressive. Go ahead and try Dans DP, the general consensus here is if BP helps your acne then use Dans BP as it is the most pleasant BP to apply. This is especially true when you are using large quantities as the regimen stipulates, which you are doing. You will not want to use any other BP, the price factor is an added bonus.

If the 10% isn't causing irritation, don't switch.

so i now know that the 2.5% cream is less irritating than the 10% cream. but not for me. i just started using dans regimen about a month ago. for the first week i was using a spot treatment i already had. acnefree's terminator 10. its a 10% benzoyl peroxide formula. and after reading more into the info on this site, i decided to try the reccomended neutrogena on-the-spot instead.

so after a week of using that my face turned bright red and started flaking really bad. even my moisturizer stung after using it, which never happened with acnefree's product. i stopped doing the regimen for a few days and even switched moisturizers from neutrogena to cetephil. after only one night after cetaphils product my face wasnt red anymore, and a week later it stopped flaking. so i went back to acnefree terminator and im fine. its a little red after i first apply it but that goes away in about 30 min.

so now im confused. why does the 10% not bother my skin so much as the 2.5%? should i even consider dan's bp? i used the same amount of bp with both products (two finger lengths) but a huge difference in results. i am finally starting to clear up really well. im 23 and had acne since 13 and i have never had my skin this nice since then. but the acnefree is pricey, and dans bp is not.

so my main question is how similar is dans bp and neutrogenas? i dont want to waste my money and look like a tomato, but i dont understand why the smaller concentration of bp made my face that way? any advice?

When switching products its common to get redness. Your skin is use to the other product. I use to use acne free. Are you using as much bp with acne free as you are with the regimen? I would find it hard since the acne free BP bottle is so small.

thanks for the responses everyone. the acnefree works fine for me. i haven't had any major breakouts, only 2 or 3 small whiteheads will pop up a week but they are gone in about 2 days, though i still have tiny blackheads all on my forehead. but thats ok. any progress at all is welcome by me. it is going to be more expensive to keep up this product though, so i am going to order dans bp. and i will only use half of what i am now so maybe i wont get red and flake again. i'll let you know how this works out when i get it in.