Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
violets

Retin A confusion

so my dermatologist gave me retin A sometime ago and ive been using it on the occasional big pimple. I'm not sure if i'm applying it correctly-are you literally supposed to put it right on the pimple without spreading it? or are you supposed to apply it to the whole area even where there are no pimples? Also, sometimes (okay, most of the time) I go overboard and use more Retin A than I should-can that spread the acne more or is it okay?

You should only be applying a pea sized amount to your whole face. For me though, when I used it, I started getting acne where I never had it before. So maybe instead of spreading it over your entire face, just stick to the problem areas. Your skin will get worse before it gets better though.

Retin A is not a spot treatment.

Apply a pea-sized amount to your whole face. The insert gives instructions; read them and follow them. If there is no insert either call the pharmacy or look up Retin A and how to apply it.

As Wynne said, retinoids are not a spot teatment,and they will do little good the way you are using them. Spread a thin layer over all of your face, its the only way.

Some people had bad experiences with retinoids, but if youre careful, and apply plenty of moisturiser (jojoba also helps a lot) they can really help.