Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lollypolly

Can someone who knows about Sugar/GI help me please?

Ok so here's the deal.

Switched to raw food diet about 8 months ago and noticed significant improvement in my skin. Over the past few weeks my skin has gone nuclear, never, ever been this bad.

It's totally different from what I had before (I used to get big angry whiteheads around my mouth and chin - dairy related I reckon). What I'm having now is a lot of uninflammed spots around my entire face, some cysts, pretty much a mixed bag but ALL over my face and some are red.

So I was talking to another raw foodie about acne and she had said to avoid fat completely or mixing fat and fruit and had talked about how she needed to avoid fruit and the Glycemic Index and the importance of this. Anyway, I checked out the GI and a lot of the stuff I've been eating recently is very high on the index.

Taking a while to get to the point I realise. I'm only just realising that maybe GI is relevant to me and this flare up I'm having now (or my condition over the years in general) but is this (GI) the same as a problem with sugar? i.e. will I be ok sticking to things low on the GI or should I cut out all fruit to avoid sugar to the extreme?

This might explain why alcohol breaks me out too right?

Last question - there are a million links to the GI, does anyone know a decent site to refer to?

Any help/comments welcome!

If you want to lower the overall GI of your meals, it would seem that you would want to add fat to your diet, considering that fat lowers the GI of a meal.

I wouldn't cut out all fruit, but instead:

1. Replace things like apples and bananas with lower-sugar options like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, kiwifruits, etc.

2. Increase avocado/nut/seed/olive oil/coconut oil intake

This would have the effect of lowering the overall GI of your diet. You say that you might be considering avoiding all dietary fat; I really just can't see how this would fix your problem.

Anyway, Glycemic Load is better than Glycemic Index, since it also considers the amount of carbohydrates the food contains. Nutritiondata.com is a great place to check the Glycemic Load of just about any individual food.

If you want to lower the overall GI of your meals, it would seem that you would want to add fat to your diet, considering that fat lowers the GI of a meal.

I wouldn't cut out all fruit, but instead:

1. Replace things like apples and bananas with lower-sugar options like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, kiwifruits, etc.

2. Increase avocado/nut/seed/olive oil/coconut oil intake

This would have the effect of lowering the overall GI of your diet. You say that you might be considering avoiding all dietary fat; I really just can't see how this would fix your problem.

Anyway, Glycemic Load is better than Glycemic Index, since it also considers the amount of carbohydrates the food contains. Nutritiondata.com is a great place to check the Glycemic Load of just about any individual food.

Thank you very much. Yes something inside me wasn't making any sense of cutting out fat as opposed to the fruit side of it.

I guess I wanted to try cutting out all fruit to see what impact this made initially - I realise other things I might be eating will have sugar in them but figured this would be a good place to start. Looking back I felt as if I wasn't eating enough fruit and have upped this majorly. The majority of my diet in the first few months was greens with fat and my skin was doing just fine on that. The minute I get guilt pangs over no fruit and start eating it loads - whammo, mega spots all over. Can't be a coincidence really can it?

I'll check out nutritiondata.com. If I find out that it's bloody sugar/GI (what's the difference) I'll throw a huge party.

Ok I've had a look at the GL/GI stuff. Now I see that things like sweet potato are quite high - so I don't know whether to focus on avoiding fruits OR avoiding high GI?

Man, why can't this be simple?

I think GI/GL...

The majority of my diet in the first few months was greens with fat and my skin was doing just fine on that. The minute I get guilt pangs over no fruit and start eating it loads - whammo, mega spots all over. Can't be a coincidence really can it?

This is such a common story among raw fooders.

When you mix fruits with fat, NO matter how many calories you eat, you can expect a reaction like that.

Fruits and fat just don't mix.

Dr. Graham keeps preaching this point over and over.

The average raw fooder (with diet of greens and fat) is eating more than 60% of calories from fat. The blood is constantly saturated with fat. When you throw fruits into the mix your Candida suddenly goes crazy and you start to get all sorts of related problems.

This happens among raw fooders all the time.

Take fat out of the equation and suddenly fruits cause no problems.

The majority of my diet in the first few months was greens with fat and my skin was doing just fine on that. The minute I get guilt pangs over no fruit and start eating it loads - whammo, mega spots all over. Can't be a coincidence really can it?

This is such a common story among raw fooders.

When you mix fruits with fat, NO matter how many calories you eat, you can expect a reaction like that.

Fruits and fat just don't mix.

Dr. Graham keeps preaching this point over and over.

The average raw fooder (with diet of greens and fat) is eating more than 60% of calories from fat. The blood is constantly saturated with fat. When you throw fruits into the mix your Candida suddenly goes crazy and you start to get all sorts of related problems.

This happens among raw fooders all the time.

Take fat out of the equation and suddenly fruits cause no problems.

Yeah i got 80/10/10 this morning. The thing is I don't think I could give up fats at all or limit it to such a small amount and seriously I've only started getting problems since I started eating huge amounts of fruit so I'm thinking it's pretty common sense for me to take fruits out the equation.

I'm gutted about this but need to get my skin back on track first, then slowwwwwwwly reintroduce small amounts of fruit like apples or berries.

I had my first green smoothie without any fruit this morning - it was so rank I threw half away :(

I, too, have just had a similar breakout as I've been eating more fat but also more fruit. They are incompatible.

Shite isn't it? Just about to read 80/10/10 although I've already decided what I'm doing. Raging cos I went on a huge shop yesterday and bought hundreds of fruit and loads of sweet potatoes :)

Can this be right?

Food: White Wine

Food Serving Size: 5 oz

Glycemic Load per Food Serving: 0

Glycemic Response to White Wine

White Wine has almost no digestible carbs, therefore no effect on blood sugar levels.

The thing is I don't think I could give up fats at all or limit it to such a small amount

Look, just do it. It's not difficult at all once you get over the initial hurdle. I don't follow it religiously. I'm about 80% raw with one cooked meal on most days. Some days I'm 100% raw. That works for me nicely. As time passes I probably drop more and more cooked food away. That seems to be the trend for me.

and seriously I've only started getting problems since I started eating huge amounts of fruit so I'm thinking it's pretty common sense for me to take fruits out the equation.

Yes, it's common sense, but it's based on wrong assumption.

I'm gutted about this but need to get my skin back on track first, then slowwwwwwwly reintroduce small amounts of fruit like apples or berries.

And as you introduce fruits back watch your skin bomb again? Well, small amount won't probably do that much harm.

The thing is I don't think I could give up fats at all or limit it to such a small amount

Look, just do it. It's not difficult at all once you get over the initial hurdle. I don't follow it religiously. I'm about 80% raw with one cooked meal on most days. Some days I'm 100% raw. That works for me nicely. As time passes I probably drop more and more cooked food away. That seems to be the trend for me.

and seriously I've only started getting problems since I started eating huge amounts of fruit so I'm thinking it's pretty common sense for me to take fruits out the equation.

Yes, it's common sense, but it's based on wrong assumption.

And as you introduce fruits back watch your skin bomb again? Well, small amount won't probably do that much harm.

I'm half way through the book now. I get it. Fats + fruit don't work. Too much fat = unhealthy. Raw diets = high in fat mostly. I can see how upping my fruits over the past couple of months while having the high amount of seeds/avos/oils has created this problem...

The book says up to 24 hours for the fat to dissipate from bloodstream so as not to impact the sugar absorption.

I'm pissed off. I like my raw recipes but I can see how they are not contributing the the best of health and it's backward to avoid fruit for the sake of tasty raw 'toast' and avos here and there. Fruit is better and tastier.

It does seem like mega consumption of fruit to achieve 80% carbs but I'll give it a go.

Will detox fat out system tomorrow then kick off on Monday.

I'll also refer to GI/GL to see if that's playing a part...

Why am I annoyed? :)

My experience is that it doesn't make much of a difference.

But with two disclaimers:

1. Your red blood cells are not swimming in a sea of fat (i.e. low-fat diet).

2. Your eat whole foods in their natural state.

I eat quite a bit of high-GI foods, such as almost one whole pineapple a day. It hasn't affected me a bit.

This, of course, is just my experience.

My experience is that it doesn't make much of a difference.

But with two disclaimers:

1. Your red blood cells are not swimming in a sea of fat (i.e. low-fat diet).

2. Your eat whole foods in their natural state.

I eat quite a bit of high-GI foods, such as almost one whole pineapple a day. It hasn't affected me a bit.

This, of course, is just my experience.

Thank you a million for your help. I feel quite stupid not having realised how much fat I was actually consuming but not so stupid in that I had no idea fruit and fat together could be causing my recent problem.

I'm finding the book very interesting and going to look over the sample menus later. At least I won't be missing out on all the fruit I bought yesterday... :)

Thanks again

OK so I figured I'd cut out fruit for a few days to see if that made a difference. My skin cleared up but I felt like absolute shit. Never felt so bad since turning raw.

I've now decided it'll need to be the fat that goes as I can't live without fruit, my body was craving it like nothing else!

Mental stuff