Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iloveuk

How to find a doctor that performs subcision?

I am having troubling locating a doctor in my area that will perform subcision for my rolling scars....The one place that I did find that offers subcision as well as the full range of lasers told me that my scars are not "serious" enough to require subcision and they tried to sell me on some lasers i.e CoolTouch and even recommended Thermage instead. They did confirm that some sort of remodeling was necessary for my skin to ever have any sort of "semi-normal" appearance...(I know scars will never be 100% better)

From my personal research, I feel that subcision would yield better results for me than lasers as lasers seem "somewhat" unreliable as far as individual results and despite what the docs say I do have what I would say are "moderate" rolling indented scars"...they are definitely deep in areas and in some spots form a line that looks like I was slashed deep with a knife down the side of my cheek. I also have very sensitive rosacea skin and don't feel as comfortable with laser as I would a targeted physical modification of individual scars...Well, I would at least like to try subcision first, see how it works and perhaps use laser later on to finish things off if need be...

I think this particular place that I consulted with last just wants to get as much $$ as they can out of me with the laser and then if that doesn't work they figure they can get more $ when I turn to subcision?

Do many derms perform subcision or would a plastic surgeon be a better bet? Should I just call every derm office in town and ask straight up if they perform subcision for acne scars?? Would be cool if someone in or near Arizona could even refer me to a place that performed subcision for them

So everyone else has been able to easily find a doctor that will do this? Or hasn't wanted to and/or tried?

Guess I'm on own

Hi iloveuk,

Although I'm not in Arizona or the US for that matter, I've found it quite difficult to locate a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who offers subcision in the UK.

I searched on the internet for hours upon end for a derm or surgeon who offers subcision in Scotland but there doesn't appear to be any.

I travelled to London a couple of times to see Dr. Chu who offers subcision and he's good at it as he's thorough and I've had some improvements. I'm due to go see him again next week and hope to have another subcision.

You say you have some rolling scars and there is no better procedure for this type of scarring than subcision. You'll need several subcision treatments to see good results but it's quite a cheap procedure.

Do your research and ask around, and I'm sure you'll find someone who is familiar with it and will be able to help. Send a few emails to some surgeons or dermatologists you find on the internet or even try calling them if they provide a contact number.

I found what I wanted by using the internet and I'm sure you'll be able to do that too.

Thanks for the reply...

I am going to do what you suggest, that is call and/or e-mail every dermatologist that I haven;t already seen and inquire as to whether they would perform subcision or not. I wouldn't mind traveling, at least driving-wise, so even a doctor in LA isn't out of the question.

I am also intrigued by needling and feel it could be a reasonable alternative to subcision. I will be placing calls to tattoo shops/permanent makeup artists to see if any would be willing to help. I have already e-mailed a few but have not heard back yet.

Good to hear that you have had good results with subcision! I really do feel it is a cheaper, more effective alternative to laser for rolling scars, at least as a first resort....

Laser doesn't do anything for rolling type scars. It's mainly aimed at superficial scarring on the surface whereas rolling scars are the result of what happens under the skin during acne. The skin becomes bound down in some areas and subcision cuts the tethers and allows the depressed areas to raise up closer to the normal skin surface.

Good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll find someone who will be able to help. :)

Yeah, I know laser wont even touch these. I think the docs want to sell me on CoolTouch because they have it, and they will make more $$ off of me. Of course, they shouldn't lie and tell me my scars will improve 80% with CoolTouch. The redness inside of the scar might improve, but the actual indent will not change much, I know. I really don't care about improving the red marks anyway, because they fade with time and/or can be covered with concealer, but the indents really detract from my face.

Nice to see you are from Scotland...my dad is from Glasgow and also used to have a house on the Isle of Tiree...I have been there and it is beautiful

I found a doctor in Oklahoma City. She's a great doctor, and I worship the ground she walks on lol.

Here's the thing. Those doctors that you talked to want to talk you out of subcision because they can't make much money off of it.

Guess how much my doc charged me for subcision? $0.00

Of course I payed for the collagen filler and some botox (about 250-300 bucks)

Back in my darkest days of rolling scars (looked like a knife slash: "your scars aren't that bad...") there wasn't a forum like this one to come to. You should first be EXTREMELY thankful for this place and for the internet in general, and secondly be PATIENT. I lived with my scars for over 5 years before I had them fixed, so don't expect people, especially doctors, to come to your aid at the drop of a hat ;)

Personally, I'd stay away from lasers. To me they seem like a waste of time (yes, I talked to MANY laser doctors in the past.)

There's another doctor in Plano Texas who does subcision, but I do believe he probably charges some cash on that.

Be patient. Look around, be willing to travel maybe, then look around some more. The doctors are out there, so don't give up.

I found a doctor in Oklahoma City. She's a great doctor, and I worship the ground she walks on lol.

Here's the thing. Those doctors that you talked to want to talk you out of subcision because they can't make much money off of it.

Back in my darkest days of rolling scars (looked like a knife slash: "your scars aren't that bad...") there wasn't a forum like this one to come to. You should first be EXTREMELY thankful for this place and for the internet in general, and secondly be PATIENT. I lived with my scars for over 5 years before I had them fixed, so don't expect people, especially doctors, to come to your aid at the drop of a hat ;)

Personally, I'd stay away from lasers. To me they seem like a waste of time (yes, I talked to MANY laser doctors in the past.)

There's another doctor in Plano Texas who does subcision, but I do believe he probably charges some cash on that.

Be patient. Look around, be willing to travel maybe, then look around some more. The doctors are out there, so don't give up.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with everything that you've said. I am willing to travel, although it would be nice to find a doctor within Arizona so I wouldn't have to deal with driving home and being on the road while recovering from the procedure.

Most of my worst scars are 5 years old....does this effect the outcome in anyway?

I fully expect to pay for the procedure, and in most cases it is far cheaper than laser anyway so that isn't an issue...

Glad to hear that subcision worked for you though! Were the fillers necessary for you or would you have has substantial improvement without them? I would like to avoid them myself...

hey iloveuk, i live in scottsdale and theres a couple of doctors that do scar reduction surgery, which i think is very similar to subcision, just google scar reduction in phoenix and you'll see some results

hey iloveuk, i live in scottsdale and theres a couple of doctors that do scar reduction surgery, which i think is very similar to subcision, just google scar reduction in phoenix and you'll see some results

Hey, I was actually just thinking about focusing my search on Scottsdale as I typed my last post. It seems like the kind of place that would have a higher concentration of doctors focused on cosmetic-type surgeries. I will check that out...thanks!

Hey Iloveuk,

I just sent you a PM. I have a very similar situation to yours, as I'm in Arizona, have rolling scars that are 5-years old, and am looking for a Doc in Phoenix/Tucson.

Did you ever find a doc or follow through with a treatment?

Thanks!

-Will

Finding a doctor that performs subcision is hard. My current derm doesn't even offer it and also recommended CoolTouch. He takes a quick 15 seconds or so to observe my skin.

Luckily I was able to find a much better derm in my area that offers and specializes in subcision. Will be getting my first round done right after the school semester is over.

Hey IloveUK...It sounds like I have similar rolling scars to you...I have already had 3 fraxel laser treatments with minimal improvement (about 2 years ago) and just had Smartdot c02 laser and again with very little improvement :boohoo: Man, the amount of money that I have spent is crazy! But I guess I wouldn't mind spending it so much if I was guarenteed an improvement and I knew that I was finally happy with my skin...ofcourse it will never be scar free but just to have it less noticeable would be fantastic. I am interested in subscicion also...maybe this can help us?? :pray: Please keep me updated as to how you go and what you have done...all the best!! I really hope this works for you!!

I've had a similarly difficult experience finding a doctor in my area (Ohio, but I'd go to a neighboring state if needed) who does subcision. There just isn't enough information out there. This is a perfect example of why we should have some type of section on this site devoted to doctors (as I suggested in my recent post about doctor reviews (although I'm not the first to suggest this)). If we had a doctor review section, you could just go to it, look up your area, look up whatever procedure you wanted done, and bam, you'd be on your way to getting it done. No fumbling around in the dark, no bullshit.

I've lived with my scars for a decade and I'm ready to get some real work done on them. After a good deal of research, I too have reached the conclusion that lasers would be ineffective on my rolling scars.

I'm having it done this fall... second time... Had it done ayear and a half ago with a different doc and not seeing that doc anymore.

It left me with a linear scar next to my rolling scar.

I did have a lot of improvement in my rollling one though.

I believe the new doc I am going to will perform it better and more efficiently.

I live in Okc. and am looking for a Dr. can you tell me about yours?