Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChristyV

Accutane side effects?

I'm about to start Accutane in a few days, and I'm really excited about it (yay for clear skin :D ) I've read about the side effects such as dryness, joint pain and others, and I'm pretty sure I can handle it all. What I'm worried about though is long term effects from Accutane. Has anyone here been off it for about a year or so? Have you guys experienced anything which may be related to Accutane? I don't want to have to be worried about whether or not I'll have to deal with long term effects, or have them at all.

Hi Christy,

I've been off of accutane (20 mg for 8 months) for about a year now. I would say the one thing I experienced during and after is hair thinning. Thats all.

My sister took it 6 years ago, remains super clear, but has experienced hair thinning as well (still continues but isnt too bad - she def doesnt mind given that she has clear skin)

Thats all

Hope this helps! My acne has unfortunately returned and Im considering accutane again despite the hair thinning. Its really a miracle drug in many ways

Been off the drug nearly 18 months, i suffer from numerous sides, including hair loss (from my entire body), rosacea, ocular rosacea, raynaud's disease and dry skin to name a few. Just thought i would post my side of the story as i am sure you will get people who post saying they are perfectly clear with no side effects...

Thanks you guys for your responses :) I'm guessing it depends on the person and how their body handles the drug...

Been off the drug nearly 18 months, i suffer from numerous sides, including hair loss (from my entire body), rosacea, ocular rosacea, raynaud's disease and dry skin to name a few. Just thought i would post my side of the story as i am sure you will get people who post saying they are perfectly clear with no side effects...

I was only on accutane for 19 weeks, i was on a pretty average dose for a long while but towards the end i went up to 80mg, i strongly believe side effects and their severity are directly related to doseage!!

Looking back i would rather be forced to take 20mg for a year than the dose i was on....

I was only on accutane for 19 weeks, i was on a pretty average dose for a long while but towards the end i went up to 80mg, i strongly believe side effects and their severity are directly related to doseage!!

Looking back i would rather be forced to take 20mg for a year than the dose i was on....

Hm.. I don't think I would be on a very high dosage, but I'll ask my aunt (my dermatologist) to put me on a low one. She prescribed me one pill a day, though I'm not sure how many mg :think: Hopefully I won't experience any really bad side effects.

The highest dose one pill could be is 40mg (as far as i can remember), but chances are she has you on 20mg, which is a good dose. Although you still have a risk at sides, the risk is MUCH reduced verses a higher dose...

The highest dose one pill could be is 40mg (as far as i can remember), but chances are she has you on 20mg, which is a good dose. Although you still have a risk at sides, the risk is MUCH reduced verses a higher dose...

Yeah she told me I would get dry lips and headaches, both of which I'm not too worried about (I just hope my lips don't get overly dry and seriously cracked :silenced: )

Do you know what would be a good moisturizer? I'm not sure what to get. I heard Cetaphil was really good, but that it was also heavy on the skin (which I don't like).

Hair loss all over my body including eyelashes and eyebrows, rosacea, and scarring from the IB. I still have all this nearly half a year later and I took accutane for only two weeks.

I have been off it for about 18 months now. I still have dry skin but have some absolutely shocking joint pain. My ankles and knees are in constant pain and its unbearable at times.

This only cropped up in September 2007 and I finished my course in July/Aug 2006 so whether it really was the Accutane I don't know. I am being tested for Arthritis amongst many other things. I am pleased I took accutane as I was nearly suicidal, but am worried I am paying the price for it now.

Greg

Wow.. these are some pretty serious long term side effects.. I'll definetely talk to my aunt about these.

My sister took Accutane a few years ago, and experienced back pain and dry lips, but that's all. It didn't clear up her skin, though. Does this mean Accutane may not work for me? Or would us being related have nothing to do with whether or not Accutane will clear my skin?

My sister took Accutane a few years ago, and experienced back pain and dry lips, but that's all. It didn't clear up her skin, though. Does this mean Accutane may not work for me? Or would us being related have nothing to do with whether or not Accutane will clear my skin?

There is really no way to tell, I wouldn't take this drug unless it was your very last option...Do you have severe cystic acne? If not, stay away from it. Try Bactrim or other antibiotics. Hell take them long term if need be, but dont take accutane unless nothing else works, and then evaluate the risk/reward...

There is really no way to tell, I wouldn't take this drug unless it was your very last option...Do you have severe cystic acne? If not, stay away from it. Try Bactrim or other antibiotics. Hell take them long term if need be, but dont take accutane unless nothing else works, and then evaluate the risk/reward...

Agreed, plus also try home light therapy, works great for alot of people.

Well, I mostly have inflamed acne as well as the occasional whitehead. It used to be worse during school; I'd have breakouts of clusters of whiteheads, probably because of all the stress. Now I only get tiny whiteheads here and there, maybe because I've been drinking so much water (2-3 liters a day). My aunt recommended I take Accutane, though, and said it would clear me up in 2 months or so. And I reallyy want clear skin before I start school again :) I've tried Retin A, which made my skin worse, and things like Proactiv and other things which I can't remember right now :think:

Hm I've never heard of light therapy. What is it exactly ?

Well, I mostly have inflamed acne as well as the occasional whitehead. It used to be worse during school; I'd have breakouts of clusters of whiteheads, probably because of all the stress. Now I only get tiny whiteheads here and there, maybe because I've been drinking so much water (2-3 liters a day). My aunt recommended I take Accutane, though, and said it would clear me up in 2 months or so. And I reallyy want clear skin before I start school again :) I've tried Retin A, which made my skin worse, and things like Proactiv and other things which I can't remember right now :think:

Hm I've never heard of light therapy. What is it exactly ?

Does the sun clear your skin? say if you go on a long holiday where you end up getting a tan? Home light therapy just uses the part of the spectrum that is destructive to P.acnes without damaging the skin, most also combine it with another part of the spectrum that acts as an anti inflammatory.

Check out the laser and light section of the forum and give this a read http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Blue-red-...aq-t118454.html

Does the sun clear your skin? say if you go on a long holiday where you end up getting a tan? Home light therapy just uses the part of the spectrum that is destructive to P.acnes without damaging the skin, most also combine it with another part of the spectrum that acts as an anti inflammatory.

Check out the laser and light section of the forum and give this a read http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Blue-red-...aq-t118454.html

Hm I've never really noticed if the sun cleared my skin.. :confused: But this does sound interesting, I remember seeing something about it in my aunt's office. Thanks for the info :)