Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Loci

Someone please educate me re: all acne=hormonal acne

Hi, I'm new. I'm your typical woman that has horrible flare-ups right before and after my period. I know how acne works, or rather develops, and in essence all acne is caused by hormones that secret oil that thus block follicles createing acne. What I do not understand is, if this is the case, why is it that topicals work for some and not for others? Why is it that people believe that certain products cause them to break out (like make-up and such) when it really should have no link to why they are breaking out at all?

I was on topicals for years and NOTHING worked for me. The latest one was duac. My cousin, who had previously been on it, cleared her skin completely for a year! Not a single pimple. I try it and it doesn't work, in fact it made my skin worse. I understand how a topical solution can rid of existing acne, but how does it prevent more from appearing if you're not attacking the hormones causing them?

Same for products? Why is it that people say "this makeup made me break out, even if it's non comedogenic"? It shouldn't matter if your hormones are not directly affected, right?

Confused.

Hey, I completely understand your confusion. I am also that woman with horrible breakouts before her period which seem to creep up on m out of nowhere when all of a sudden....breakout-hell!! Here is what I found at http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m084...23/ai_107488057

Your cycle starts on the first day of your period--and lasts anywhere from 21-40 days. Ovulation (when an egg is released, awaiting fertilization) occurs on or around day 14 of your cycle. In the first week after your period, estrogen increases, keeping skin clear (this hormone helps keep oil glands in check). But once ovulation occurs, your blemish potential increases, peaking in the days before your period. The result: oily skin and breakouts.

Now everyone's skin is different and it may react to different ingredients in certain products. Like if a product says non-comedogenic, it may not be necessarily so, as some of the ingredients are not clinically known to clog pores, but for some people (people like me, for example) there is a chance that it could make them breakout...Hormones are also varied from person to person. Everybody is unique and sensitive to certain things while others are immune to a product's claimed effects; when hormones are added into the mix it becomes that more complicated. That explains why so many people who suffer from acne try so many different products, treatments and diet changes because they are looking for the one which works the best and doesn't give them any effects that are undesirable or simply doesn't help the condition of their skin. That is exactly how it was for me and i've finally settled down with a no-dairy (substitute it with brown rice milk or almond milk) , no refined sugar diet and stievamycin (tretinoin and erythromycin prescription gel)) cetaphil cleanser for oily skin and cetaphil fragrance-free lotion and Boots No7 non-pore clogging foundation with spf 15 - this combination has worked wonders for me, as long as its not the week before my period. Then my skin has a mind of its own!! anyway, i hope I helped to clear up some of your confusion...:) Good luck on your journey to clear skin

~Monique

Thank you so much for your response. :) I completely understand how the hormones bring about acne, but thank you for helping me better understand why topicals work on some and not on others.

I guess it's still hard for me to understand how topical solutions can prevent breakouts, if essentially they are all hormonal, in some people. I guess those people probably do have a different skin type and their follicles do not get bombarded by the oil production as much.

In any case, after trying every topical under the sun and NOTHING working, my derm put me on spirolonactone. So far, not so good, but I have only been on it for less than 2 weeks. Its' made my skin look worse, but as I've read, that is what happens for the first 3 months. I've taken minocylcine before and that has helped, but the effectiveness wore down after awhile. Let's hope this one works. :) I am willing to stick it out based on all of the success stories that I have read.

Oh! Don’t get upset, I think it is problem of every second girl next to you. There are many ways that can help you to cure the disease but a way that suits you and is not one of the scams to cure them should be adopted. It is better to refer to an online guide

For that can make you aware of the pros and cons of the different ways and provide you a better solution. This will help you to balance yourself.

All the best!!!