Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
corvettelexi

Does not wearing makeup help?

Has anyone given up on wearing makeup and found that it actually helps your acne?

im wondering if makeup can irritate the skin, or contribute to acne? i mean i cut down on my makeup by alot alot alot

but thinking back on how much crap i used to put on my face, even in high school when i didnt have acne at all. at all. at allllllllllllllll...ugh i feel like maybe thats why i got acne right after i got into college....

any experiences?

Well, it depends on the make up. I think you are less likely to get a breakout from mineral make up than liquid. Perhaps you could invest in some mineral makeup?

Makeup definitely contributed to all the whiteheads and clogged pores I used to have. I wore heavy liquid foundations all through middle school (ah, the joys of peer pressure to have flawless skin!) and even into high school. Finally I realized my skin was definitely NOT benefiting from it, so I started using a lighter powder foundation. Now I hardly ever wear makeup. And guess what? I'm fully clear now.

Makeup, especially heavy foundations and some concealers, can clog your pores. Once bacteria is trapped in these clogged pores - voila! - there is your acne.

Molly is right to a certain extent. Mineral makeup is definitely lighter than liquid foundation and many powder foundations. Unfortunately mineral makeup can pool into oily areas of the skin, thus clogging your pores. It can also exacerbate dry areas on the skin. Plus the "minerals" used in the makeup can irritate certain skin types. I gave in to the mineral makeup fad once, and it was the worst my face ever looked.

The only makeup that ever helped my skin is the Clinique Clarifying makeup. It has Salicylic acid in it. But it's heavy stuff and tended to dry my skin out. I stopped makeup for about a month but it actually didn't help at all, so I knew it was my clogged pores, not the makeup. The Makeup just made it worse but didn't cause it in my case. Once I got on Tazorac and stopped the cycle of Clogged pores, I can wear my Lancome Teint Idole without fear of breakouts. I can't wear minerals because of I am allergic to Mica. so in my case, minerals made my skin worse.

my skin definately gets worse everytime I wear makeup. I rarely wear it, but when I do I always notice a few more of those annoying bumps on me forehead and around nose. I've recently switched from liquid foundation to powder and I love it! My experience with mineral makeup was horrible as well. It caked on, and left a shine (which I hate because I already have naturally oily skin) and sat right in my pores making them so noticable

I break out whether I wear makeup or not, no matter which kind. My skin feels better (fresher) at the end of the day when no makeup is worn though.

make up definitely doesn't cause acne because there are so many people with perfect skin who wear make up all the time. I definitely think that some make up can make acne worse though. I used to wear layers of concealer which was quite cheap and after I stopped, my acne improved soooo much. I think medication also helped and the make up didn't cause my acne because I had it before I wore make up. But i definitely agree the wrong make up can make acne worse. Mineral make up is meant to be better for skin and even to help it but I don't have the time or feel the need to wear it other than for very special occassions. I don't want to risk it making my skin worse!

It depends on what kind of makeup you're using, how much you're using, and how your skin reacts to makeup in general.

For instance, when my skin was breaking out badly over the winter, I kept caking on thick layers of stick concealer over my mineral makeup to hide the gross cystic breakouts on my cheeks.

Months later, after doing a million things to help my skin (taking fiber supplements, new BC, new face wash, jojoba oil, no more BP) and realizing the only places that still had bad breakouts were the places where I was putting a lot of stick concealer, I stopped wearing the concealer and switched to a mineral concealer.

My cheeks thanked me by not being covered in cystic acne anymore.

Its different for everyone. Some people can break out from everything including NOT wearing makeup (as for me) and some people can wear anything without breaking out or at least only have to complain about zit here or there. There is no right answer, it depends on you.

I definitely think make up makes acne worse. Not like way worse but worse although I just can't give up wearing make up sadly.