Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iris_25

A regimen that finally worked for me

I have had a very positive experience with my new regimen and wanted to share it with other acne troubled people. First let me say that I have tried most of the salicyclic acid and benzoil peroxide treatments out there and had no success with either one of them. I had a 15 years battle with acne and nothing I tried really worked. Anyway, I recently started to focus on diet and finally got improvements. My skin hasn't looked as good since I was 12.

I am taking OMEGA-3 supplements (molecularly distiled to eliminated mercury and other pollutants). I also eliminated sugar as much as possible (except for the sugar in fruits, vegetables and fruit juices). No more cookies, sodas and ice-cream. No more fried anything. I am eating a lot of fruits which have anti-inflammatory properties (cherries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries). I also eat a lot of spinach for its high ALA content and salads with plenty of olive oil.

As a topical (mostly preventive) treatment I am using Murad clarifying mask (which contains sulfur). I use it as a spot treatment, and once a week as a mask.

To diminish the acne marks I found a good do-it-at home peeling. I am applying Retin-A once a day for 4-5 days (in the evening) and at the end of the 5 day period I apply the Murad mask for about 15-20 minutes. The skin peels very nicely after the mask is removed. The peeling lasts a day or two and after that the acne marks are less visible. No burning sensation, no redness, no snake-like skin. Just peeling.

You need prescription for Retin-A. You can buy the Murad mask on ebay.com, for much less than the retail price. Anyway, if nothing really worked for you then try this regimen. Diet does matter no matter what some doctors tell you.