Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oread

Do you think it's necessary for a 19 yr old female to take a multivitamin?

I eat very healthily(at least by my standards:) They are just so expensive if you get a good one and they are a pain. I was also wondering if there was a difference between cheap vitamins and expensive ones at the health food store. I know it's important to get a high quality brand for things like fish oil but is it important for things like calcium?

Multivitamins have so many conlflicting, competing nutrients inside of them that I highly doubt their effectiveness, even in the nicest brands.

Instead of a multivtamin, I would suggest supplementing the individual vitamins you know you need.

No.. not 'necessary' imo..

Even with a crap diet, I'm not sure a multi-vitamin really achieves much apart from using up $$ (the ratios are much too superficial and could even put things out of balance if they actually did anything)..

Fish oil, on the other hand, could be useful IF you don't get enough omega-3s in your diet (such as in fish and egg)..

I dunno about calcium. I'd say just eat broccoli. :)

No.. not 'necessary' imo..

Even with a crap diet, I'm not sure a multi-vitamin really achieves much apart from using up $$ (the ratios are much too superficial and could even put things out of balance if they actually did anything)..

Fish oil, on the other hand, could be useful IF you don't get enough omega-3s in your diet (such as in fish and egg)..

I dunno about calcium. I'd say just eat broccoli. :)

Im going to add in a fish oil soon since I dont eat fish or eggs. I take a cal/mag supplement because I dont eat dairy and it's unlikely that I'll eat proper amounts of brocolli everyday since I hate it=)

daily needs for calcium and magnesium can be covered quite easily, as far as i'm aware, from leafy greens and other green vegetables (collard, spinach, brussel sprouts.. but I don't blame you if you don't like brussel sprouts! ICK) .. but if you don't like the [i think] pretty mild taste of broccoli, I'm gonna guess you don't like the others either.. in which case, you could try having a green smoothie every now and then, which if made right will just taste like a fruit smoothie :)

best of luck

Studies show that supplementation with a multi is useful and safe.

For some time I resisted believing that our food was less nutritious because of the way it is harvested, grown, stored, sold and so on. But I have seen compelling evidence that such is the case. A supplementation can't substitute an healthy diet and you can't supplement 100% of all minerals and vitamins and eat nothing but french fries and be healthy (some people believed otherwise and attempted it with disastrous results) But a supplement can't be a powerful insurance against flaws of your nutrition that are independent from us. If you were living in a tropical uncontaminated island 100 miles away from the smallest town picking your fruits, gathering your veggies, breaking your nuts, fishing your fish ... I would suggest you don't need supplements. Also it doesn't matter that you're 19.

You're as healthy, well nourished and able to absorb nutrients as your lifestyle is not as your age is. There are athletes in their 90's out there still lifting weights, jumping, swimming with ripped bodies, extremely healthy heart, arteries and elastic youthful skin. As well as there are apathetic, lethargic, depressed, spacey, unfit 6 year old out there.

There is a difference between cheap supplements and high quality ones.

You should use a natural high quality multi (like solgar for example) which is retinol, vitamin E and iron free and which doesn't exceed 50-60% RDA

you don't need supplements

go get a blood test done and see if you are deficient in anything, and then take the necessary supplements.

if you are dead set on taking vitamin pills, get your vitamin intake from foods and not from pills.

excess stuff you don't need or use gets dumped by your body

so if you are not deficient and you are already getting the right amount your body needs, you are just wasting money

so if you are not deficient and you are already getting the right amount your body needs, you are just wasting money

The problem is that the complete profile of every vitamin, mineral plus health marker would cost a fortune and you would have to do it every two months or so.