Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay S1

Stopping BP causes extremely oily skin?

I never had oily skin... like ever. I've been on BP for like 3 years and I was clear and happy. Now it's not even working.. so i thought what the heck, lets just stop using it. I'm breaking out obviously... but the most confusing part is that I'm having an extremely oily skin right now. I never seen my skin this oily.

Does BP stop oil production? And has anyone been more oily than ever after stopping BP?

Also, I've started taking fish oil.. would that contribute to the oil production? I've heard fish oil helps alleviate the excess oil...

OH i just realized I stopped putting on Moisturizers.. i think thats why my skin is over producing the oil?

Does BP stop oil production?

I have a copy of a study from a medical book claiming to have found that BP reduces oil production. If I remember correctly, the effect wasn't all that pronounced, but that's what they found.

OH i just realized I stopped putting on Moisturizers.. i think thats why my skin is over producing the oil?

People on this site have been posting for YEARS about moisterizers and oil production, but I can't think of any serious rationale to expect them to have any effect on it. I certainly haven't seen any scientific studies on that.

some people will tell you differently, but i swear my skin gets noticably oilier when taking fish oil.

Do you break out from that excess oil?... I am breaking out

while i do think the oilyness plays a part in acne, lately my skin has been really oily but my acne has gotten better. which is counter-intuitive i know. you could probably get into a whole discussion here about sebum composition, as in different lipids, fatty acids, and whatever.

i guess my hypothesis here is that sebum quantity counts, but composition may count for even more. would be nice to not have oily skin though :\ mine is off the charts.

while i do think the oilyness plays a part in acne, lately my skin has been really oily but my acne has gotten better. which is counter-intuitive i know. you could probably get into a whole discussion here about sebum composition, as in different lipids, fatty acids, and whatever.

i guess my hypothesis here is that sebum quantity counts, but composition may count for even more. would be nice to not have oily skin though :\ mine is off the charts.

It actually is the fish oil I think...

Caution : In some individuals with oily skin, supplementing with fish oil can exacerbate the condition. Start slowly by taking just one capsule per day. Provided your skin does not become visibly oily, gradually increase the dosage.

http://vitamedica.com/html/EPA-DHA-Fish-Oil2.html

So I guess it's kind of like using BP, slowly get into it...

Does that mean our skin will slowly get less oily as we take minimal amounts? Then we up the dosage?

Has anybody ever experienced this before...?

Very interesting post. If BP decreases oil production, I'd sure like to know the science behind it.