Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
buttacup79

Last resort acne help..please!!!!!

any new ideas?

i am 29 year old female that has had acne for 15 years. Recently in the last 2 years have experienced very oily skin, very oily hair, cystic acne, rosacea, blackheads, whiteheads. Would like to go more natural route since all meds worked for a while then my skin became immune to it and stopped working.

here is what i tried:

1. fish oil pills

2. jojoba oil

3. aspirin mask

4. cerave moisturizer

5. healthy diet - no sugar except fruit derived, no hydrogenated oils, no processed food

6. all known topicals such as duac, differin, retin a

7. all known antibiotics as well as accutane

8. exfoliaters - baking soda, exfoliating cloth

what are you doing or taking right now?

what's your lifestyle like?

those two questions will probably need to be answered for anyone can help you out :)

just off the cuff, i would recommend the following basics to anyone - ample sunlight, ample exercise, ample sleep (don't underestimate the power of those three), and ample vegetables and h20 (as addition to your diet).. Also, minimal external 'action' on your skin (either a really gentle cleanser with natural ingredients or just water) to give your body a chance to heal the skin on it's own without your 'meddling' with it :)

I also would recommend taking minimal to zero supplements as again you're kind of just meddling with your body (unless you have a 'diagnosed' deficiency from a 'professional,' that you trust!). IMHO, multi-vitamins and herbs won't achieve much. Try and get nutrition from a balanced and fresh diet.

That's my 2 cents right now!

PS. all of these factors are things that need to be constant for a significant period of time (well, the longer, the better) in order to 'work.' doing these things or anything temporarily or one-off won't achieve clear skin in the long-run, IMHO.

what are you doing or taking right now? Stopped all antibiotics and fish oil, using aspirin mask and honey, just started using skyn iceland healing serum for stressed skin.

what's your lifestyle like? I dont go to bed late, at latest 11:30PM, occassional drink once a month, excercise daily, use mineral makeup monday thru friday, not that stressed, steer clear of chemicals whenever possible.

Thanks!

Right now i'm on the 'no washing' bandwagon - i have sensitive skin and it was dry with acne so i stopped washing it (though water is okay every few days) and it is clearing up and my complexion is a lot better.. pretty amazing actually and it's only been about 5 days. so you could try that and see what happens.

when did you stop antibiotics? if you took them for a while, or recently (or both) I would recommend the use of a really potent (not cheap) probiotic supplement. that (and zinc cos i have a deficiency) is the only supplements i take every day.

another thing to add is that mineral make up breaks me out. dunno why. it just does. i guess that ties in with the whole 'don't mess with your skin' stuff - even 'good' things, like minerals, put externally on the skin every day can mess with the skin's natural state (it's ability to keep at a balanced state of moisture etc).

as you can see, this is all slanted towards my experience. if you don't have much acne anywhere else but mainly your face, and your skin gets dry (and especially irritated after washing) and if it looks it's best in the morning.. etc.. then perhaps try to minimise washing and with only water.

once again, just my opinion. good luck.

There are many things left to try. I find many ideas on this forum for things to try and although many of them dont work for me some work effectively, i think it all depends on the person. Here are some suggestions that you could research or try.

1) Taking ACV (apple cider vinegar) internally and applying externally, ( this worked really well for me)

2) Liver Flushes . ( i have heard amazing things about these, but never tried them yet)

3) B5 cure, this is where you take large doses of vitamin B5 it causes the release of coenzyme A which causes skin oil to be removed ( this has also been said to be effective)

4) Combat Candida. Try and cure candida (an internal parasite) this is often linked with inflammation and infections such as acne.

5) Try to get rid of alegens such as milk and wheat from your diet.

6) try Zinc

7) i find emu oil an effective moisturizer. ( oil is said to dissolve oil)

8) I have heard lactoferrin can be effective in treating cystic acne

These are just some ideas. Good Luck

There is always Accutane. I started on this in April of this year. I had acne of some sort or another covering my face and entire back since the 5th grade. I tried everything (Differin gel, Retin A, Antibiotics and dozens of over the counter products)! I would never recommend antibiotics, but would recommend that if you have been on them for a while that you get yourself a good brand of probiotics to put back the good bacteria into your digestive tract. Anyhow the Accutane is very strong and I have had all the usual side effects such as dry skin, dry lips, cracks in the corners of my lips, fatigue (sleep more!), dry eyes, sensitivity to sunlight (use lots of sunscreen and reapply) occasional headaches, but no depression. However my skin looks fantastic! I saw results within a week. I started out with 40mg (it's based on body weight) and was upped to 60mg in month #2. I have since reduced it to 40mg. You have to weigh the results against your general well being. At 40mg I am still getting good results without excessive side effects. If you are not taking all your B-vitamins...start taking them. Patience is necessary, but like I said I see the results and because I know that this treatment is permanent in most patients I feel very hopeful. Unlike the antibiotics that would work immediately and then as soon as you went off them everything would come back...not to mention all the unpleasant side effects of using them. Unlike antibiotics, Accutane shrinks the pores in your skin and it's amazing how smooth and clean it looks. Good luck.

Fish oil is not just for acne. Unless you eat plenty of fish, you shouldn't cut it out just because you took it for a little while and your skin didn't immediately clear up. It's anti-inflammatory for one, and increasing anti-inflammatory foods/supplements (c, beta carotene, zinc, etc) will help with your rosacea. My face is never red anymore.

2 courses of accutane did absolutely nothing for me, btw.

Try paleo diet. I keep repeating that, but it is working so far for me for the past two weeks. Stick to it and report:)

Wow! Thanks for all the great answers. I think it may be the mineral makeup...it was to good to be true...Anyone recommend a good foundation...price is no object. lol? I was using Clinique before the switch. thanks!

I think also i will get allergy tested. Its crazy that we can develop allergies later on too.