Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey,

I'm about to go on Azelaic acid (alongside Lymecycline), and I've just come off Retin-A, after a horrible experience.

Retin-A destroyed my skin and I was no way going to wait it out, so I've come off it and gone onto Lymecycline.

I'm collecting Azelaic acid (to supplement Lymecycline) tomorrow, but I hope it doesn't cause this whole purging or 'gets worse before it gets better' effect that Retin-A and other retinoids do.

Does Azelaic acid have an 'initial breakout' or purging effect? Also, what is the best form of Azelaic acid - Finacea or Azelex?

Thanks.

I use Finacea and most people don't have that initial breakout - I experienced probably a "mini" one. I think it was more my skin getting used to the Finacea rather than an actual IB.

And I completely recommend azelaic acid so even if you do experience a purging effect, keep on truckin' through because the results afterwards are great.

I guess compared with Retin-A, Azelaic acid must be very minor in any IB it has? Thanks.

I use Finacea and most people don't have that initial breakout - I experienced probably a "mini" one. I think it was more my skin getting used to the Finacea rather than an actual IB.

And I completely recommend azelaic acid so even if you do experience a purging effect, keep on truckin' through because the results afterwards are great.

Dear Loki,

I just read your post about your Retin-A experience. It sounds like we both were prescribed it at the same time and had a very similar experience. I'm basically appalled that the IB was soooo bad!

I went to the derm last the week before last and although I actually cried in her office about the Retin-A, she convinced me to stick with the Retin-a, which I am doing. But, the Retin-A left red marks for every breakout I had, so I literally have more red marked skin then non-redmarked skin at this point. She presecribed me Finacea to use in the morning (while using Retin-A at night), to help with the red marks. Today marks my week anniversary of Finacea. I only got two pimples this past week (one small and one big) -- so I don't think it will cause nearly the same IB as Retin-A.

I hope it works well for you and I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with Retin-A.