Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
violets

I seriously want accutane-advice!

Okay so-this may sound wacko, but i've asked 2 dermatologists for accutane and no one will give it to me! I have very mild acne but it's so frustrating. I was thinking, would it be absolutely ridiculous to like give myself a break out to get accutane? If I did that, would I still be completely clear after?

Yeah, don't wash your face 3 days before the visit and the night before rub dirt and grime on your face. And then rub car oil over your face the night before too.

Accutane guaranteed.

I was on accutane for 4 months and got hair loss on month 3. So this is a big decision you got to decide for yourself, but you might get lucky. Accutane is like Russian Roulette.

hair loss? Yeah, I read that that was one of the side effects-does it happen equally to guys and girls? What was your dosage?

Have you given antibiotics a try? Usually a derm will put you on those and once those don't work then they will put you on accutane. I was on 3 months of antibiotics and when those did not work I was put on accutane. I don't have any horrifying side effects thank goodness. I am a 26yr old female who weighs about 140 and I am taking 60mgs a day. I must say I am so glad I took the medication as my skin is pretty much clear now. I get the occasional small bump every now and then but the cystic acne has gone away.

Wow, that's scary. I thought there was only hair loss if you took a high dose.

Well, my dermatologist has given me Retin A and my skin is generally clear except for some whiteheads, blackheads, and the occasional big pimple. Even with antibiotics i'd probably get the occasional big pimple and I heard that once you get off of them your acne comes back even worse and with accutane that's not possible, right? The problem is, my dermatologist refuses to give me accutane! I've been to 2, and both refused so I don't know what to do.

Even after accutane you will still get some spots. It is designed for acne...not just the occassional spot. I don't think (from how you have described you skin) that you would get any benefit from it.

That sucks, i'm sorry.

and Lora, wait, does accutane help hormonal, sporadic acne or acne that doesn't go away? I'm so confused. I thought it helps those small, annoying whiteheads even?

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. In the past, I remember a member said they did that so they would be prescribed it.

I used to feel like you, the people with severe acne get Accutane then get 100% clear, but the people stuck with mild acne don't get Accutane and are stuck with a few little pimples 24/7. It's kinda frustrating huh, but I think you should keep trying for Accutane. I took it and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

That's exactly how I feel! I mean I understand that it's reserved for severe cases but it's still a risk either way. I hate how both dermatologists won't take me seriously when I request accutane. I'll keep trying:)

They only prescribe it for acne that is scarring.

really?! i'm sure there are some exceptions though. have you been on it?? i wish my derms would just give it to me! lol

Sup i've been on tane for like one year now you would have to take other medicines like minocyclin and tetracyclins or w/e maybe dianette for chicks im not sure and uhh be resistant to it and then they will perscribe it depending on how bad it is. There are many side effects and if it isn't that bad you should just try dans regimen i hear alot people saying good things about it shanio out!

Accutane is the shit. Cleared my face up amazingly. I have scars mind you but having silky smooth skin, no oil, no cysts, no zitz. Its worth suffering on for a few months. The sooner you start the sooner your done :P.

They only prescribe it for acne that is scarring.

really?! i'm sure there are some exceptions though. have you been on it?? i wish my derms would just give it to me! lol

Yeah, I'm on it right now. You look hot in your pic I wouldn't worry.

violets, dermatologists have strict guidelines, set up by the government under the iPledge system, that they have to follow when prescribing Accutane because it *is* so potent. It's chemotherapy. iPledge has cracked down and made it increasingly difficult to obtain because dermatologists were dispensing it for mild cases and because of the severe risk factors. Please read up as much as you can before jumping onto the Accutane wagon. If you've not tried antibiotics before it's VERY doubtful you'll get a prescription for Accutane.

Accutane is the shit. Cleared my face up amazingly. I have scars mind you but having silky smooth skin, no oil, no cysts, no zitz. Its worth suffering on for a few months. The sooner you start the sooner your done :P.

congratulations!! see, that's why I want to take it. Then i'll never have to worry about the random, obnoxious pimple again that pop up at the worst times. Ugh, like tonight I skipped out on a party because of a freaking pimple!!! awesome. Oh, and the "suffering" is only a few months? I thought it's six?

i think it'd be unwise if they would put you on accutane for only mild breakouts...

especially if you haven't tried antibiotics! accutane does have really serious side effects and i don't think anyone realizes how big of a pain in the ass it can be until you've taken it.

(i realize some people have very mild side effects and for some it may be totally worth it in the end). i went on accutane because i've had persistent moderate acne for...7? years and my dermatologist had already tried just about everything else...it really is a last resort medication.

if you're just occasionally breaking out, that's pretty normal for most people. most everyone who's a teenager or young adult has the occasional breakout or zit; don't worry about it!

something that did help me significantly was retin-a. it just completely retexturized(?) my skin and really helped with breakouts....and antiobiotics may help you too; as well as birth control.

the main reason I haven't taken any antibiotics is because I heard they make your acne worse when you stop taking them...Like right now I have 3 whiteheads, 1 big pimple:(, and some blackheads but my face will not just be clear permanently. ughhh. And if I take antibiotics won't I have to take them for like 5 years?

how have your side effects been on accutane?

thanks so much for your response:)

the main reason I haven't taken any antibiotics is because I heard they make your acne worse when you stop taking them...Like right now I have 3 whiteheads, 1 big pimple:(, and some blackheads but my face will not just be clear permanently. ughhh. And if I take antibiotics won't I have to take them for like 5 years?

how have your side effects been on accutane?

thanks so much for your response:)

You don't need Accutane for 4 zits. Any dermatologist who puts you on it would be totally irresponsible without trying all the other major treatment methods (antibiotics, retinoids, BP, etc.) that don't carry severe health risks.

Ditto what Joe Max said. I just kinda felt the need to comment since it seems like the info isn't all straight...

Accutane is only for severe OR persistant acne. Persistant meaning you have tried nearly every med out there with no success.

To me, it sounds like you get a breakout once in awhile...and trust me I know it's annoying and frustrating and no fun, but seriously, that is not enough for accutane. It's a really strong drug, I know, because I've been on it and I'm going on it again. I think you could benefit from antiobiotics, topicals, maybe even over the counter stuff. Accutane is a last resort.

Oh, and also, Accutane gives you breakouts beyond all belief in the beginning. As does any medication for acne. (Not everyone, though)

Just thought I'd put that in and also, your derms for the most part know what they're doing. Good luck, hope you find something to help! :)

what have your side effects been with accutane?

i've read some really positive stories and some negative ones. But logically, it seems like the people with the negative stories are more likely to post about it than someone who completely cleared with minimal side effects. I wish my dermatologist was just more liberal with it. So basically there is no way ANY derm. would give it to me? I didn't know that-I thought the two I went to were super conservative with accutane or something. Thanks for you input!