Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone, i'm new here but i've been lurking for some time. I was curious if anyone has been diagnosed with Bdd (Body dysmorphic disorder)? I tried to get my dermatologist to give me accutane...she refused. So I went to another dermatologist, he refused...Anyway, my parentals sent me to therapy for various reasons and I was diagnosed with bdd which seems like bull to me. I mean I am obsessed with acne and other things in relation to my physical appearance but i can see a pimple when I complain about it and other things as well. it's not like i imagine pimples. I may be dramatic about it and think a tiny blackhead is a huge problem or whatever but I don't create them in my mind. idk, it's so confusing. I mean if I get a pimple I refuse to go out and feel like everyone is staring at me, etc. but it seems like that's common. And if I gain a pound I feel like i've tripled in size and the whole world is looking at how disgusting I look. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone with acne has been diagnosed with bdd and what your experience has been with it because I think the diagnosis is BS.

I think most of the time these things are BS as well, but its hard to tell.

I'm pretty sure most people who suffered from acne showed at least mild signs of BDD or some sort of social anxiety.

If you have only mild acne, I doubt people are staring at you, or maybe people stare cause they like what they see :D

thanks for your reply:)

yeah, i don't know. I don't think bdd seems real because unless someone has like zero pimples and are creating them in their mind then it seems dumb to give that diagnosis. My therapist is lame anyway. He put me on these meds for something else that don't do s***. I believe in general like diagnoses (spelled soo wrong) but not small things like bdd, multiple personality disorder, etc.

If I got sent to a therapist I would be diagnosed with probably a dozen problems. All thanks to acne!

Guest kiwikali

i just got over BDD and anorexia, which are kind of realated and stem from anxiety, and acne dysmorphia. acne dysmorphia is not very well known and rather rare, but it's where you have mild or no acne at all yet you think that you have terrible incurable cystic acne, and constantly scrutinize yourself. i always thought BDD was about your body not your face (it was for me anyways) so that's a weird diagnosis. maybe it's acne dysmorphia. i went through therapy and rehab for the anorexia, and i'm happy to say that now im 100% better! it takes time and patience... it was worth it though. i feel better then ever. :D

I don't think bdd seems real because unless someone has like zero pimples and are creating them in their mind then it seems dumb to give that diagnosis.... I believe in general like diagnoses (spelled soo wrong) but not small things like bdd, multiple personality disorder, etc.

BDD is real, and it's not something small. In fact, the suicide rate for BDD is very high compared to the rest of the population, and it's not uncommon for a BDD sufferer to perform his/ her own plastic surgery at home because the clinics and hospitals refuse to perform cosmetic surgery on them. There's some debate about whether multiple personalities (Disassociative Disorder) exists, but if it does exist, it's not small either since the an individual who is diagnosed with DD has an average of 30-90 personalities.

I mean if I get a pimple I refuse to go out and feel like everyone is staring at me, etc. but it seems like that's common.

I think not going out because you have a pimple is less common than you think.

BDD

I have a degree in psychology and a strong interest in BDD. What you are describing sounds a lot like it if I'm honest. People with BDD often do not imagine flaws, but they over-dramatise existing small imperfections. Have you been offered any medication or counselling such as CBT? I'd reccommend trying them before you pursue accutane for very mild acne.

People with BDD often do not imagine flaws, but they over-dramatise existing small imperfections.

That's exactly the thing. BDD can be connected with perceived imaginary or slight physical flaws which actually are real but which a person is excessively preoccupied with. It's not so much the 'flaw' - real or imagined, but the way in which you cope with and perceive it, I believe. I think the name of the disorder is quite misleading in that sense, in that many people seem to think that it's only connected with people who imagine their flaws entirely or that it solely concerns the body and not facial features/the skin.

It may seem to you that the natural thing to do is to avoid going out because of a breakout, and I'm sure many of us have felt that way before, but if your concern over your appearance is affecting your lifestyle in any great way or hindering your ability to go out when you want to a considerable extreme, then I think the possibility that you're suffering from BDD is a very real one. Like Jolian said, it's certainly a very real disorder and a potentially very dangerous one at that for many people. Although it is difficult sometimes to draw the line between what might be considered a diagnosable disorder and what may seem like a common response to a problem like acne, especially with the recent increase in public awareness of things like OCD, BDD, bipolar disorder, etc., I suggest you read up a little on body dysmorphia and acne dysmorphia. You could always go for a second opinion, too, if you're still unsure whether it's something you're suffering from. I also second the suggestion to look into CBT... if you don't believe you've been rightly diagnosed, you may still find the things you learn from something like that and the techniques it can teach you to be of great use.

Thanks for everyone's replies. This topic is so confusing to me. I have been to 3 therapists so far (all forced by my parents)-the first one did nothing, the second diagnosed me with depression, and the third BDD! That's what makes me think that it's all BS. The BDD diagnosis was for weight and acne obsession (I thought if you have BDD it's only one obsession??). I think the therapist might have been biased because i'm a former bulimic and wear make up, so many he thinks the pimple or pimples I obsess about are imaginary or something. I mean I do go out, but normally only when my skin is clear and if I get whiteheads, etc. I try not to go out unless it's necessary. If I get a big pimple I normally either try to go out and wear a scarf to cover it or something or put my hand over it which only makes it worse. Or if i'm really self conscious about it I just stay home (like i'm doing right now, and drive myself crazy staring at it in an enlarged mirror and putting tons of Retin A on it which i know only makes it worse. I don't know, is it possible to have bdd in relation to acne and weight? It seems like everyone worries about this kind of stuff, it's not like a psychiatric problem. I stopped seeing the therapist that diagnosed me with bdd because I didn't think he made any sense and he was kind of rude. My second therapist put me on meds which did absolutely nothing. Psychology is so confusing!

I was diagnosed with BDD by one doctor but I don't see him anymore anyways,

so no one else really knows about it. But one doctor looked it up in his medical

dictionary and the description was something like "the belief that one has a horrible

flaw that's usually non-existent to others or almost invisible..." So then I realized

I didn't have it: I DO have acne and I DON'T imagine it.

Have someone ever commented your acne?

"Why do you have spots in your face?"

"Why don't you do something with your acne?"

"Have you tried <enter a skincare product>?"

"Yes, he's the guy with acne."

Thanks for everyone's replies. This topic is so confusing to me. I have been to 3 therapists so far (all forced by my parents)-the first one did nothing, the second diagnosed me with depression, and the third BDD! That's what makes me think that it's all BS.

Well, BDD does have a high comorbidity rate with other disorders. That means that people diagnosed with BDD often suffer from an additional disorder, especially anorexia, which happened with Kiwikali.

I think the therapist might have been biased because i'm a former bulimic and wear make up, so many he thinks the pimple or pimples I obsess about are imaginary or something.

Well, any good therapist would know that wearing makeup doesn't mean you have an appearance-related disorder.

I don't know, is it possible to have bdd in relation to acne and weight? It seems like everyone worries about this kind of stuff, it's not like a psychiatric problem.

Yes, it's possible. Some people with BDD fixate on their nose and thighs. All of us dislike the appearance of one aspect of our bodies, but people with BDD--as was said earlier--approach what they don't like about their bodies in a very abnormal way. That is, disorders are named thus because the behaviors are objectively far from what is normal.

Have someone ever commented your acne?

"Why do you have spots in your face?"

"Why don't you do something with your acne?"

"Have you tried <enter a skincare product>?"

"Yes, he's the guy with acne."

I LOVE THATTT.

wow that is probably the worst.

But yeah i obsess over acne too.

I don't really stay at home if i have a breakout but it definetly affects my mood.

I probably have the worst self confidence and have been told that..

violets- good luck with everything

They've thrown around BDD for me however its a bit more serious than just depression, i've gone into hysterical psychosis (requiring hospital visit) over a breakout.

however in reality its just control issues and paranoia. I have Aspergers so i integrate things very differently.

BDD tho is a valid diagnosis for some people so don't discount it as bullshit for everyone.

For a long time i was diagnosed as borderline because i'm female. it took years for them to finally realize that its not OCD + BPD but in reality i have Aspergers but its hard to recognize in females unless you've had years of testing.

that said i DO know some people with authentic borderline so really i stopped saying it was a crap diagnosis, it was just a crap diagnosis for ME

with things like this its best to not be generalizing as some people who may have it would read this thread and feel like utter shit.

BDD may be overdiagnosed or selfdiagnosed but for some people it IS real and so to discount without a medical degree is to step over a very thin line.

keep it to the individual.