Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sonal

How did you know if your acne is hormonal?

They say acne is mostly hormonal and you will outgrow it as an adult. I kept waiting for this to happen and it never did.

When I get pimples, its mostly on my cheeks. Is hormonal acne mainly on the jawline? I have read about this and it says for women with hormonal acne, they have irregular periods, facial hair etc. My periods are always regular though.

I think acne is mainly due to a weak liver which is not able to remove toxins from the body effectively.

In my case, I know meat products are definite triggers. Probably my liver cannot detoxify all the artificial hormones, antiobiotics they give to the animals. For some people, its dairy or refined carbohydrates. For some, its alcohol. Some women with polycystic ovarian syndrome, also have acne. I am not sure if I have that. I don't have some of the symptoms associated with it like over-weight, hair loss etc.

My other problem is extremely oily skin and overactive sebaceous glands I guess. By the middle of the day I can feel the oil dripping from my face. It is also probably genetic since my dad also had acne.

Oh well, I guess I am just trying to diagnose myself... :think: lol...

I might go to an endocronologist to check my hormone levels, I am not sure if insurance will cover it though?

I don't think there are any definite traits of hormonal acne. I have it, but I don't have PCOS, my periods are regular, I have a normal amount of hair, and my acne is all over my face with the bulk of the issues occurring around the chin area. I've lived abroad where there were fewer chemicals added to foods and that didn't improve my acne, but birth control has helped it dramatically.

Oh boy- I've heard that "you'll outgrow it" thing a million times. I'm 34 and still waiting to outgrow it. I don't have PCOS either. I think for a lot of us, it is hormonal and you never outgrow it Lots of women can control it with BCP's and spironolactone, it seems. That's the only thing that worked for me. I've been off both for about 3.5 years (got pregnant, had baby, breastfed a year, and have been trying to conceive again for 1.5 years) and my skin has been a mess ever since. It's been at it's worst (since going off BCP and spiro) for the last 6 months or so, IMO.

Oh boy- I've heard that "you'll outgrow it" thing a million times. I'm 34 and still waiting to outgrow it. I don't have PCOS either. I think for a lot of us, it is hormonal and you never outgrow it Lots of women can control it with BCP's and spironolactone, it seems. That's the only thing that worked for me. I've been off both for about 3.5 years (got pregnant, had baby, breastfed a year, and have been trying to conceive again for 1.5 years) and my skin has been a mess ever since. It's been at it's worst (since going off BCP and spiro) for the last 6 months or so, IMO.

Hi Kriszti, can you please tell what BCP were you using? I might try that. I have read some stories here though about how BCP aggravated their acne or it became worse after coming off it. I am kinda scared of that too.

I think I will get my hormone levels checked first to make sure if my acne is indeed hormonal. If my hormone levels are ok, then I guess BCP wouldn't help me.

Hi Kriszti, can you please tell what BCP were you using? I might try that. I have read some stories here though about how BCP aggravated their acne or it became worse after coming off it. I am kinda scared of that too.

I think I will get my hormone levels checked first to make sure if my acne is indeed hormonal. If my hormone levels are ok, then I guess BCP wouldn't help me.

I took Yasmin. :)

I read that most of the time it isn't hormonal, it's due to an allergy. I also read about trying an ELISA test to see what you are allergic to, so you could try something like that if you are desperate.

I have read about this and it says for women with hormonal acne, they have irregular periods, facial hair etc. My periods are always regular though.

Not necessarily. And not necessarily all the symptoms. I have regular periods, but androgenic hair issues. It's called hirsutism.

BTW, not all facial hair is hormone related. If it's peach fuzz, it's not.

Also, you could get tested and told your results are normal, but that won't mean you don't have a problem with hormones. There's a range considered normal, but that doesn't mean it's normal for you at that stage in your life. There's also the fact that hormones fluctuate and might not be high when you are tested. And there's your degree of sensitivity to any amount of hormones.

If you are going to try BCP, you need to make sure it's one of those with a progestin that doesn't have androgenic properties. The one in Yaz, Yasmin, ORtho Tri Cyclen, and what I use, Zovia are not androgenic. There's a list explaining this on the hormonal treatment board but you'll probably have to search for it. I think the subject line was something like 'BCP comparison chart.' For some reason no one will pin it so it's always there for people to refer to. I guess there's no moderator on that board.

I think my acne is more hereditary than hormonal, since my dad, aunt and 1 cousin also have it. The rest of his siblings and my other cousins have no acne problem though.

I started getting acne ever since puberty and its mainly because oily skin. I think hormonal acne starts in adulthood in people who had no acne as teenagers. Anyway I went to my GP and he gave me minocyline and Yasmin birth control pills. I took Yasmin for 2 days and I broke out into a cyst on my forehead the next day. I usually never get cysts. So I am suspecting its must be the Yasmin. Also I think my acne is not hormonal so Yasmin is probably not going to help and might make it worse. I am still debating whether to take the minocycline. I have a big event coming up in 2 weeks and would like to have clear skin by then. But if I get an IB from the minocyline, then I dont want that. I had a big break-out after eating chicken 2 weeks back and I am still dealing with that. Usually my pimples dont leave scarring but I did a stupid thing and used Zeno on those pimples. Now I am left with dark scars from the pimples :wall:

That $150 spent on Zeno was an absolute waste!

I think my acne is more hereditary than hormonal, since my dad, aunt and 1 cousin also have it. The rest of his siblings and my other cousins have no acne problem though.

I started getting acne ever since puberty and its mainly because oily skin. I think hormonal acne starts in adulthood in people who had no acne as teenagers.

Yeah. That's wrong. And oil is triggered by hormones. DHT to be exact, which is a form of testosterone which increases at puberty and is worsened by diet and health in dozens of ways listed in my sig. In addition, oily skin doesn't necessarily = acne. There are other factors, also worsened by diet/health. The tendency to be acne prone is hereditary, but it's still related to hormones.

I started getting acne ever since puberty and its mainly because oily skin. I think hormonal acne starts in adulthood in people who had no acne as teenagers.

Yeah. That's wrong. And oil is triggered by hormones. DHT to be exact, which is a form of testosterone which increases at puberty and is worsened by diet and health in dozens of ways listed in my sig. In addition, oily skin doesn't necessarily = acne. There are other factors, also worsened by diet/health. The tendency to be acne prone is hereditary, but it's still related to hormones.

Yes but in general oily skin is more prone to break-outs. I have a friend who gets acne mainly on her chin but she has dry skin. So I think her acne is more likely hormonal since dry skin people usually dont get acne. My mom has dry skin and she never got a pimple in her whole life! Now if only I had inherited her skin instead of my dad's...lol.

I also think that oily skin is more prone to breakouts. The oil holds onto the dead skin cells that would otherwise be sloughed off by nature. This clogs and pore and causes a breakout. I have also heard that acne around the mouth and chin is hormone related. I was told this by doctors and estheticians. My skin is also very oily. I am waiting for Dan's products to arrive so I can start his regimen. Hope it works!!!

How did you know if your acne is hormonal?

Nobody knows the cause of acne (though there are many competing theories to choose from!), but AFAIK, a case would typically be classified hormonal if it mostly coincides with the start of your period.

It's interesting that decades ago, Vitamin B6 (e.g., 50mg/day) was used (with claimed success) to treat specifically premenstrual acne flare-up, and the mechanism was (one of my favorites) correcting low tryptophan levels. I speculate that this "cure" may have fallen into disuse as the large increase in fructose use over the last decades have created their own separate mechanism of lowered tryptophan (and impaired zinc absorption) that B6 cannot correct for.

These days, it is hard to avoid large doses of fructose in the diet (especially for people who believe it is "healthy" to eat lots of fruits), so if there was truly a benefit of using B6 to treat pre-menstrual acne, it may now be obscured by fructose-related suppression of tryptophan.

If your acne comes and goes with your cycle, you should look into estrogen dominance and adrenal fatigue.

But you can also have excess androgens or be very sensitive to any amounts of androgens at the same time you have estrogen dominance. And all acne is related to hormones except in cases of pores clogged by topicals or pollutants. Even allergies involve hormones. The same applies to genetics. We are all genetically predisposed to acne.

My beautician once told me. Pimples on the chin means hormonal induced (period/ time of month). Above the lips are diet causes. I dunno if thats true.

I definitely think my case is hormone related. I never had pimples my whole life until I turned 28. At this time, I also switched my brand of birth control due to psycological issues. I started developing cystic acne on my jawline and lower cheeks. So after enduring this for about 9 months (I wanted to see if anything would change) I was switched to Yasimn. My doc said that this will help with the issue. So I start next sunday. Wish me luck guys!!