Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GRK

Question for ladies on Spironolactone

I've been taking Spironolactone since Nov. 2007; 100mg morning and night (max dose). It took a while but I'm really happy with the results (only 2 small pimples right now). However, my period has all but vanished. I currently have what looks like a very light period every 2 weeks or so, but it only lasts 1.5 - 2 days each time. I went to my OB/GYN last week and she said she suspects I am not ovulating at all. I know the Spiro has a hormonal impact - that's why it worked for my skin - but if that's what's causing my "female problems" I'm not sure it's worth it. Does anyone else have a problem like this?

Are you on a bcp? If not, have you considered starting one? It seems that Spiro has the tendency to mess with periods, but if you take a bcp, they should be completely normal.

I've been on spiro 100mg daily for almost 8 months and my cycles have not been normal but not bad enough to make me want to add bcp's. I haven't had any spotting but they are unusually short...like 2-3 days instead of 5-6 and lighter. It also seems like their always late too. I'd rather deal with it than take bcp's....they are not without their own risks.

Thanks for your advice. I am hesitant to go back on BCP (been off since Nov. 2006 after 8 years on). I probably don't ovulate now, but I definitely won't on BCP. So I could go on BCP to get regular "fake periods", but - agree w/ brown-eyedgirl - they are not without their own risks. My basic philosophy is "The fewer meds I'm on, the better". Any thoughts other than BCP?

GRK,

I have been on spiro now for a year. I had the same problem you are talking about. Just this past month I have stopped spotting and had a normal short period. Just like the other side effects, I think it takes the body some time to figure how to work around the medication. I would say to give it time. The clear skin has been worth it to me. Hell, I would live 24-7 with a period to keep my skin like this!

I do have to be careful though-- since I have no signs of PMS anymore, I have no warning that it is coming, and this last one came on very quickly but stopped just as fast.

Me too. The cycle has been irregular, flow different, but I do not want to go back on bcps so I'll deal with it.

For several months I was having the same issue on Spiro - a very light period every two weeks and probably not even ovulating. I recently started taking Vitex which is an herbal supplement generally known to promote healthy, regular cycles. I'm currently 21 days without a period and I'm assuming I'll make it to about day 28 before I get one again. I believe the Vitex might be the reason for the improvement because it's the only thing I've done differently.

I dont use it anymore but when I was on it, I didnt have a period for a full month. I gave the pill a good six months and then I quite taking it. It also made me go to bed at like 8:00 everynight. I would crash on my keyboard

eeks, you know, i actually haven't had my period for a year now, even before i started on spiro (2.5 months ago). have absolutely no idea why. but i'm sure spiro isn't helping the cause either =/

now that thanks to spiro i'm actually able to show my face outside of the house without feeling like a hunchback of notre dame, i'm DEFENITELY not going off of it. but i'm reluctant to add yet another med (bcp, as suggested) to my routine.. want to stay as natural as possible.

sighh... i hate this :( anyone else have super irregular cycles "back in the day" as well?

also, are there any natural(er) alternatives to bcp?

Where do you get Vitex?

It is sold in health food stores and some of the online vitamin stores (like Vitacost) sell it. Since my last post about this I have definitely seen an improvement in my cycles, but for all I know it could be a coincidence that I started taking the Vitex at about the time my cycles decided to get back in order. :think: