Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SmallTreasures

Blargh! I transformed one little clogged pore...

Ok guys, let's raise our hands: how many of us let picking consume our lives?

If it weren't for picking, my acne problem would disappear. I always say that I'll quit picking, but if I'm in front of a mirror, I can't help but want to scratch off every little flaw. Half the time that "flaw" is microscopic or not even there! I just exacerbate the "problem area", and it ends up turning red and inflamed...or in this case, it bled. It bled badly. After this scab goes away, I'm afraid I might end up with my very first scar. :doh: (I have some pictures attached if you want to see what I'm talking about. It doesn't look awful in the pictures, but it definitely does in person. My mom thought I badly burned my face. :( )

Last week for the very first time, my boyfriend exclaimed, "Laurel, your skin looks so soft and smooth! It's practically glowing!" And what do I do a few days later? I mutilate my skin. This frustrates me so much. It's turning in to a serious addiction, and I have no idea what to do about it. I've battled addictions before, - alcohol, smoking, cutting, you name it! - but this is one that I can't seem to overcome.

Do any of you guys have any tips on how to overcome picking? Any little piece of advice would be much appreciated! :D I just want this out of my life!

(P.S. -- The Twelve-Step Program doesn't seem to be working for this one. :lol: )

post-61265-1213882134_thumb.jpg

post-61265-1213882141_thumb.jpg

post-61265-1213882134_thumb.jpg

post-61265-1213882141_thumb.jpg

Well I've got the same problem :cool:

I'm a teenager so I've got a few pimples overall on my whole face, but the problem with picking makes them look like big bad ones.

When I forget the "don't pick" rule, I feel stupid ;) and then immediately disinfect the area, get some bepanthene creme to help it regenerate as fast as it can and let it heal without touching it anymore.

Hi. I'm Siava and I'm a recovering picker. Hi Siava! :P

Avoiding mirrors helps. I look it in long enough to make sure I'm decent. I don't get close up to it anymore unless I'm plucking my eyebrows or applying eyeliner, forcing myself to ONLY focus on those areas. It gets easier and easier as time goes by. You can do it, lady!

Hi. I'm Siava and I'm a recovering picker. Hi Siava! :P

:lol: :lol: Hi, I'm Laurel, and I've been pick-sober for almost 24 hours!

Avoiding mirrors helps. I look it in long enough to make sure I'm decent. I don't get close up to it anymore unless I'm plucking my eyebrows or applying eyeliner, forcing myself to ONLY focus on those areas. It gets easier and easier as time goes by. You can do it, lady!

Thank you so much, Siava! (That has to be the most amazing name in the whole world, by the way! :wub: ) I will definitely try that. I just have to make sure that when I put on my concealer, I stand a good distance away from the mirror. Otherwise I will try to cover every little flaw, get frustrated, and end up picking. :doh:

awww, your so cute. i know what you mean though, sometimes i get the urge to pick at like pores. If I get the urge I do something with my hands or something to distract myself like an intense workout or maybe you could buy a stress ball and squeeze it every time you have an urge to pick. Good luck!

It sounds silly but put a little post it on your bathroom mirror (or all your mirrors for that matter) that says DO NOT PICK, or maybe a picture of you or someone else with really nice skin. I am a recovering picker, I still pick every now and then but what helped me was staying away from mirrors, if I find myself staring at my face I just hurry up and get out of there but if you can't stay away from mirrors try the post it trick.

If it weren't for picking, my acne problem would disappear. I always say that I'll quit picking, but if I'm in front of a mirror, I can't help but want to scratch off every little flaw. Half the time that "flaw" is microscopic or not even there! I just exacerbate the "problem area", and it ends up turning red and inflamed...or in this case, it bled. It bled badly. After this scab goes away, I'm afraid I might end up with my very first scar. :doh: (I have some pictures attached if you want to see what I'm talking about. It doesn't look awful in the pictures, but it definitely does in person. My mom thought I badly burned my face. :( )

Last week for the very first time, my boyfriend exclaimed, "Laurel, your skin looks so soft and smooth! It's practically glowing!" And what do I do a few days later? I mutilate my skin. This frustrates me so much. It's turning in to a serious addiction, and I have no idea what to do about it. I've battled addictions before, - alcohol, smoking, cutting, you name it! - but this is one that I can't seem to overcome.

Do any of you guys have any tips on how to overcome picking? Any little piece of advice would be much appreciated! :D I just want this out of my life!

(P.S. -- The Twelve-Step Program doesn't seem to be working for this one. :lol: )

you've got real nice skin and a nice face. there's not really anything anyone can tell you except just chill out about it.

It sounds silly but put a little post it on your bathroom mirror (or all your mirrors for that matter) that says DO NOT PICK, or maybe a picture of you or someone else with really nice skin. I am a recovering picker, I still pick every now and then but what helped me was staying away from mirrors, if I find myself staring at my face I just hurry up and get out of there but if you can't stay away from mirrors try the post it trick.

That's a great idea! :D I definitely need to put a little reminder in my bathroom. What usually happens is that I literally black out and just start going to town with picking. If I have a little reminder, I may not have such a tendency to get into that state!

Thank you so much! :wub:

My tip:

Have someone you live with and/or see everyday to check your skin everytime you meet. Tell that person to be very strict and angry if he/she notice that you have picked on anything. Maybe throw in a neverending rant about why you absolutely must not pick your skin. Works quite well for me, 'cause you get awfully tired of that rant.

:lol: Yes, I would definitely get tired of a rant like that! I think I may try that. I'll probably get my boyfriend to pitch in because he's always completely honest with me. And plus, I'm helping him with one of his addictions, so I think having him help with mine would be a fair trade off! :angel:

Thank you, dear! :D

you've got real nice skin and a nice face. there's not really anything anyone can tell you except just chill out about it.

Awwh, thanks. :wub:

But listen. I sometimes sit in front of a mirror for hours and pick until a side of my face is covered in scabs, scars, and inflamed spots. I haven't done that in a long time because I made an effort to get rid of all those marks, but that urge could come back any time. I wish I could just "chill" about it and have it magically go away, but I'm afraid that's impossible. :lol:

Aww, it is hard to stop isn't it. This might help:

www.acne.org/habit-reversal.html

I would dab a bit of neosporin on that, which actually helps me leave it alone for a while.

Good luck!

I have the same problem

i will pick at a clogged pore.

it got bad this year during the winter

at one point at i had like 5 big scabs.. ew

but now im getting better about not touching my face unless i am applying topicals or makeup

hah but i'm definitely going to put up reminders on probably all my mirrors.

this is off-topic but my friend wrote on all her small-portable mirrors little things like "cute hair girl" "your skin looks great today" hah she said it helped her not feel so bad n stuff.

Eee you mutilated that one pretty bad. Yeah I once had a stubborn blackhead on my nose some years ago. It was probably barely noticeable to others but I kept noticing it in the mirror up close. So I started picking on it and trying to get it out, and I ended up getting aggressive about it even though it started hurting. Once you start picking at something it's hard to stop. I had a scab there for several days afterward and had to come up with weird excuses as to why it was there and in such a strange location right on my nose. It ended up forming a kinda hypertrophic scar which is kinda noticeable...damn, that is one of my most sore regrets and something that was totally preventable.

Moral is, if you're gonna pick, at least give up before damage gets outta hand. But OP I know what you mean about just standing in front of the mirror for a long time and picking and picking at pores and other things.

When is comes to picking, I am a disgrace. I only really get congested and clogged pores so when I leave my skin alone it looks quite clear, but I KNOW there are HUNDREDS of little lumps blocking my pores and stopping me from having the beautiful skin that I so badly would love to have.

I'll go away with my boyfriend and leave my skin alone and when I get back home and look at myself in the mirror I feel so pleased with how my skin looks...except, maybe I should just squeeze that one really bad blackhead...ah, better...maybe also those few bumps on my forehead...until all-of-a-sudden half an hour has passed and my skin is a big, red, inflammed mess! I know I shouldn't do it, but it just fels so right, and at the time, it's very rewarding, irdding my skin of all those little bumps.

I am hopeless.

When is comes to picking, I am a disgrace. I only really get congested and clogged pores so when I leave my skin alone it looks quite clear, but I KNOW there are HUNDREDS of little lumps blocking my pores and stopping me from having the beautiful skin that I so badly would love to have.

I'll go away with my boyfriend and leave my skin alone and when I get back home and look at myself in the mirror I feel so pleased with how my skin looks...except, maybe I should just squeeze that one really bad blackhead...ah, better...maybe also those few bumps on my forehead...until all-of-a-sudden half an hour has passed and my skin is a big, red, inflammed mess! I know I shouldn't do it, but it just fels so right, and at the time, it's very rewarding, irdding my skin of all those little bumps.

I am hopeless.

Awwh, sweetheart you are NOT hopeless! :comfort:

You literally described my life. :lol: It's the price that comes with being a perfectionist. Honestly, take the suggestions that people have given me! So far, they've really really helped. I just had a BAD hormonal breakout this week, and I came out of it pick-free! That is the first time that's ever happened. If there's hope for me, there's hope for you! :D

One suggestion that has helped me tremendously is putting sticky-notes on my mirror that say, "Don't pick!" I've also gotten my boyfriend to reprimand me if I do end up picking. :P Also, you have to remember that what you're doing to your skin damages it in the long run. You may be ridding yourself of those bumps temporarily, but they'll come back in droves and inflamed a few days later. These simple reminders have done wonders. So far, so good!

Good luck, my dear!

i know what you mean. sometimes i try to tell myself that the picking is actually doing some good (like getting rid of white/black heads temporarily, removing scabby, dry patches) but I knwo it's bad. i have really bad OCD and it has taken a lot for me not to stay up at night absorbing myself in all of the little flaws on my body. i guess it's jsut easier than focusing on the bigger stuff, but it's turned my little teenage acne problem into a full-flared mess. I'm awful at kicking habits (I also smoke, which my firends say is jsut another way to temporarily deal with my issues and not think about the bad stuff). i bite my nails, cuss liek a sailor, all of that stuff.

i guess in the long run, it's all abotu how strong you are. i try to be strong- it's hard. in every little red bump- from the zits on my chest to the stress rashes on my legs to the bug bites on my arms- i see my flaws. i see why no boy will ever want to touch me for real and why i can't get the one boy i've always wanted. i jsut wish i had flawless skin, or at least didn't think about it so much. my friends have some acne, and it doesn't seem to btoher them too much. mine is definatley worse, but not bad enough to obsess and stress this much. i dunno if its the OCD or i'm jsut a freak or what, but it's consuming my life.

and that's not helping the stress rash at all...