Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cheeseblu

can dents heal by itself over time?!!

Hi guys ive been struggling with acne for about 5 years and . now the problem with scars is constantly plaging me

My parents wont let me try anything to get my scars fixed.. they say it costs too much and say ) I'm too paranoid aobut it (which is completely false, and if you don't believe me you can look at my album)

another reason aside from cost is that they say "dents can fill itself over time"....

Im a biology major, aiming to be premed and Idon't think this will not happen. I'm only 20.. and these dents are making me go crazy.. like i cry about this a lot.. I know I seem super emo right now .. but I'm only saying this since this forum is semi-anonymous (so don't bash me too much about that cuz what can I say.. I'm a girl.. and all girls want to look pretty naturally)

but im holding on to the string of hope that pehaps my old fashioned parents are true

so Question: have ANY of you heard of anyone who had rolling/icepick scars that healed itself/ filled itself over a period of time?

any?!

it won't disappear, but the look will get better. I too suffer from this and I can't do shit about it. The only thing i wish for is a time machine. haha but o well, Just live life happy and you'll find out that no one cares about them too much after meeting you. I still get paranoid with the lighting on my face and i get irritated. I still want to get a cheese grater and grate my whole face.

Giiiirl, I feel ya. I've been trying to ignore my scars.. I do wish I had a time machine. I dread looking at old pictures when my skin was perfectly flawless. And after using so many medicines and chemicals, it's completely scarred me for life! Wish I should have just listened to my parents and took great care of my skin. :(

I'm just praying they heal on their own. It is expensive to get them resurfaced and what not. =/

Let's hope for the best.

I should have taken Roaccutane in Year 8/9. I'd have perfect fucking super smooth the best skin.

But instead I took Roaccutane 6 years later (cause I didn't know about it) after the pimples fucked up my skin quality. THANKS YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT ACNE FUCK.

cheeseblu and FiliPinoPrime - I feel your pain and it fucking sucks. Is there anything a cosmetic surgeon or dermatoligst can do to fix this shit?

Laser? Fraxel?

I feel like there is no options in this 'advanced technologal' world.

i think your parents are right. from the look of your pictures your scarring is minimal and may in fact improve over time without anything too invasive. i think you are stressing more than is necessary and shouldn't do much save a few topicals to improve your overall skin. try apple cidar vinegar; its cheap and fairly effective

Over time I believe they do look better. I have one on my chin from getting a cortisol injection at the derm and it use to look a whole lot worse, 6 months ago, so in my case it has faded over time. Still there but does not stand out as bad as it use to.

lol i guess, i'm going back in a time capsule right now... but my answer to my former self 2 years ago (the original post was in 2008:P) is no.

unfortunatly, those dents have just been deepened with more cystic acne i've had to battle through the past two years and now my skin looks like holey cheese

... sort of "in your face!!" for my parents... who before thought I was being paranoid (no pun intended)

now they are always telling me to put on makeup when i visit their friends hahaha, i'm a monster:P

so ive literally just give up and started accutane.. woohoo.. i'll see how that goes :P

Yeah, I have to agree...if anything they tend to look worse as we age because our faces droop and becoming thinner :boohoo:

it won't disappear, but the look will get better. I too suffer from this and I can't do shit about it. The only thing i wish for is a time machine. haha but o well, Just live life happy and you'll find out that no one cares about them too much after meeting you. I still get paranoid with the lighting on my face and i get irritated. I still want to get a cheese grater and grate my whole face.

Lol. I feel you with the whole cheese grater thing. I wish I could grate my skin too!!

Minor ones can fill in completely, especially with the aid of a topical retinoid. The right side of my face is basically scar free apart from some barely noticeable marks.

Minor scars I had when I was 20 have completely gone.

Edited by softly_softly

My sister's ex boyfriend had very bad acne (probably as bad as it possibly gets) and he was on accutane and cleared up and still has scarring. I think it looks better over time. Plus, compared to his old acne, he looks a million times better. I don't understand why people get so frustrated over scars. I guess if you still want that porcelain skin, you'll keep fighting for it. There are always alternative options anyway such as LED light therapy and dermrolling. I've been using an LED light for maybe a year now and It seems like any dips in my skin have filled themselves in. I just looked in the mirror one day and realized I didn't have any pitted scars. I had pretty bad acne at one point all over my cheeks and had dips from that but I'm not sure what happened.

I'm not a doctor so please excuse my attempt to pass on something my gyn told me years ago, but some people secrete a certain oil/substance from their bodies that make them less likely to permanently scar or get bad stretch marks. Not sure if the same applies to guys or if this even still applies to me as i know the chemical makeup of your skin changes every 7 years, but some people will see that their scarring naturally fills itself in while others may have to take care of it by other means.

So basically it's definitely possible but it varies from person to person.

so who did the premed route go?

what are you doing now?

still premed :) acne hasn't deterred me from that route however^__^

just graduated college! applying right now! doing secondary applications nerrvousss

Edited by cheeseblu

My sister's ex boyfriend had very bad acne (probably as bad as it possibly gets) and he was on accutane and cleared up and still has scarring. I think it looks better over time. Plus, compared to his old acne, he looks a million times better. I don't understand why people get so frustrated over scars. I guess if you still want that porcelain skin, you'll keep fighting for it. There are always alternative options anyway such as LED light therapy and dermrolling. I've been using an LED light for maybe a year now and It seems like any dips in my skin have filled themselves in. I just looked in the mirror one day and realized I didn't have any pitted scars. I had pretty bad acne at one point all over my cheeks and had dips from that but I'm not sure what happened.

ohhh also ChyCheyenne :D can you let me know which LED light therapy you use :) ahh I know it probably wont be good for this time period because I am still taking accutane.. but I would just like to know for what I can buy , after my whole regimine yayy!

ohhh also ChyCheyenne :D can you let me know which LED light therapy you use :) ahh I know it probably wont be good for this time period because I am still taking accutane.. but I would just like to know for what I can buy , after my whole regimine yayy!

I actually just used a very average one that I bought on ebay. I used it hoping it would help my acne and I noticed it would fill in my forehead ridges (or whatever from wrinkling your brow) if used for a month or so consistently. I would use the blue and red simultaneously for quite some time because it only covered small areas of the face at one time. I probably used it a minute on each area though and it worked out pretty nicely. Like I said though I just woke up one day and realized all I really have are redmarks and my scarring was really gone after I had complained about it for so long. However, unfortunately it hasn't done anything for 2 chicken pox scars that I have on my face (not that I really expected it to since they are pitted but it would have been nice). I still have some mild acne which is clearing (if I stick to my regimen) but I haven't had any of the scarring type of acne for quite some time really. I would also recommend that diet can help with scarring. Eating a lot of good fats/oils will help your skin heal itself (ex: coconut oil, butter, unheated extra virgin olive oil).

Also, if you're willing to spend a lot of time trying to fix your scarring, I've heard good things about dermarolling and needling. I've always thought that would be painful though. I doubt apply any kind of cream topically will do anything though other than dermarolling it in. However, I have used argan oil in the past and I plan on going back to using it when I'm clear (can't use it now, have problems with folliculitis) because it seems to help my skin. I don't know though, it could all be a waste but I think the whole getting rid of acne thing and the whole getting rid of scars spheal takes a lot of time. You have to eat your best (lots of veggies and good fats), take good supplements, and use good products that aren't just bogus.

Hi..Back in 2006 I had a brutal dent on my chin..It literally looked like someone took an icecream scoop and scooped out my chin (all b/c of a stupid blocked sebaceous gland that got severely infected). I found laser therapy helped...called BIOFLEX as well as taking collage supplements.

I actually just used a very average one that I bought on ebay. I used it hoping it would help my acne and I noticed it would fill in my forehead ridges (or whatever from wrinkling your brow) if used for a month or so consistently. I would use the blue and red simultaneously for quite some time because it only covered small areas of the face at one time. I probably used it a minute on each area though and it worked out pretty nicely. Like I said though I just woke up one day and realized all I really have are redmarks and my scarring was really gone after I had complained about it for so long. However, unfortunately it hasn't done anything for 2 chicken pox scars that I have on my face (not that I really expected it to since they are pitted but it would have been nice). I still have some mild acne which is clearing (if I stick to my regimen) but I haven't had any of the scarring type of acne for quite some time really. I would also recommend that diet can help with scarring. Eating a lot of good fats/oils will help your skin heal itself (ex: coconut oil, butter, unheated extra virgin olive oil).

Also, if you're willing to spend a lot of time trying to fix your scarring, I've heard good things about dermarolling and needling. I've always thought that would be painful though. I doubt apply any kind of cream topically will do anything though other than dermarolling it in. However, I have used argan oil in the past and I plan on going back to using it when I'm clear (can't use it now, have problems with folliculitis) because it seems to help my skin. I don't know though, it could all be a waste but I think the whole getting rid of acne thing and the whole getting rid of scars spheal takes a lot of time. You have to eat your best (lots of veggies and good fats), take good supplements, and use good products that aren't just bogus.

Guest Timehealsall
Minor ones can fill in completely, especially with the aid of a topical retinoid. The right side of my face is basically scar free apart from some barely noticeable marks.

how old are you now? Can scars that are 4-5 years old (shallow ones) be treated with a retinoid?

how old are you now? Can scars that are 4-5 years old (shallow ones) be treated with a retinoid?

yaa I have heard retinoid works as well! the only thing is.. after looking up info it seems like constant application is needed... for the rest of ur life.. or at least a maintanance schedule... like maybe daily application for 1 week every 1 month or so. Because Retinoids thin out the outer layer of the skin and thickens the inside layer. .. at least that was what I got out of my readings. anyway I tried Retin-A micro last year around this time an dit gave me a really scary IB and peeling phase :/ and then I kept on using it for about 6 months... and then I just gave up because I was still getting a new cyst every 1-2 days.. and although it DID seem to smooth out some of the minor indents.. but I felt my skin texture felt a lot more supple... but in a "weak" "delicate" sense.. (not like smooth glowy and supple way)

so when I stopped using it.. the funny thing was the first two weeks or so after stopping, my skin was awesome! My skin was still smooth (the areas that didn't have pimples at least) and I was starting to get glow back.. but after about a month, everything went back to before.... so... yaap

but this is just my experience however... the smoothing out minor dents is enticing.. I'm just not sure if i would want to follow through the rest of my life with it