Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aaron123

Do Nothing Approach?

Hey guys, I'm 17 and have had acne since about 11. Of course my mum got me on all sorts of different medicines, dermatologist, etc. I've been on Differin, a myriad of BPs and Salicylics, and tried Dan's Regimen. Some brought minimal improvements; nothing huge.

One thing has struck me as odd: Though my face isn't looking so great acne wise (moderate), my forehead is just about completely clear. I've come up with this theory: When I used these chemicals I usually would neglect getting the forehead area because I didn't want to mess with my hair and bangs. Now at this stage, I look in the mirror and see splotchy red marks on my cheeks from old zits, but the forehead is just about immaculately clear.

I've basically called it quits on topicals for the last 3 weeks or so, as I'm currently convinced that they've effed up my face and system over the last 6 years. However, I've considered that I might have a Zinc deficiency, so I've very recently started taking Zinc pill supplements. Right now, at most, my face will get 2-3 whiteheads every couple days that I have to wait a few days for them to develop before they'll come out on their own simply when taking a shower. The only chemical I'm applying to my face right now is regular bar soap (is this too acidic/basic for the face to handle?).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? About how long does it take for results to show up? 4-6 weeks I think?

Try washing your face with honey.
Wait, is this the needs more cowbell Bruce Dickinson or the Iron Maiden Bruce Dickinson?

Er...anyone else have any thoughts on my situation? Something *looks at first posts*...relevant?

there were people on here who were just using water.

then again i never break out on my forehead either but still use the same cleaner on it and everything.

What kind of skin type do you have? I have dry extra sensitive skin and chemical products just dry my face to hell as well as making it extremely oily, flipping back and forth. If your skin is similar chemical products are a recipe for disaster. Some people just cannot handle bp, sa, etc.. I would recommend trying out purpose face wash. Its very neutral and wont dry you out too bad. What I personally do is mix purpose with jojoba oil and wash, gently dry, then moisturize with around 3-4 drops of jojoba oil and 1 drop of tea tree oil. The tea tree works as a natural antibacterial but you really need the moisturizing power of the jojoba oil to balance it out since it can be a little harsh when used alone. Good luck!

I would try not washing at all, apart from with water every few days (or when you feel like you need it - which for me, doesn't feel often since my skin is only oily when i mess with it!).. make it warm or cold water too, not hot.

I've only been trying this since monday (it's now friday where i am) and my complexion hasn't looked (or felt) this good in a while, at least not without make up anyway! acne is clearing up and since i'm less red, i get less stressed about seeing other people. it's fairly awesome. :)

ps. i can relate to your observations and experiences too. and my forehead is completely clear too (i don't focus on it much, i've mainly focused on the cheeks in terms of topical stuff). kinda sucks, tho, to think 'so.. i've been making it all worse for myself? for this long? by trying so hard to get rid of it?' but hey, better to realise it now than never right :) ..

i use bp on my whole face even though my forhead is clear (i only get like one blemish every 3 weeks on it) but i noticed that when the blemish goes away on my forhead it leaves no red marks like the acne on my cheeks do. i think it is because the forheads skin is alot thinner or somthing. but im not sure. good luck with your no regimen regimen though.

Irritation can definately make your face worse. BUT there are ways to use certain topicals and minimize irritation, maybe you were using them too harshly. Also, my pimples leave red spots on my cheeks and never on my foreheads and it has nothing to do with topicals, my cheeks are just more sensitive. I wouldn't suggest using bar soap, it can destroy the top layer of your skin and be very very clogging. If you want to quit topicals, just switch to a gentle cleanser. My favorites are Aveeno Soothing Creamy Baby Wash, CeraVe Cleanser(might be clogging), and Mary Kay Creamy Cleanser 2.