Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay S1

How to stay clear and gain weight?

I'm one of those people that are ripped but skinny ripped..

I'm trying to gain more weight, but with my current diet, it's pretty hard to gain any weight.

I avoid red meat, diary, sugars, grains (just added).

I eat chicken breasts, fish, eggs, a lot of vegetables, beans, and fruit.

Now here is my problem: I used to eat about 6-8 bowls of rice a day. Thats a lot of carbs, and I think thats how I maintained my weight. I've recently stopped eating any rice because I wanted to lower my glycemic load and I want to test how that will affect my acne.

So what else can I eat that will give me more carbs that is also low in glycemic load?

I'm also getting hungry really fast after meals... I used to be full for a long time after 2 bowls of rice in a meal. But even if this doesn't help my acne, I definitely need to lower my rice intake for my health.

Oh, and i eat a lot of Extra virgin olive oil. Would that contribute to my weight gain at all?..

Please give me your advice.

Can you eat nut butters like almond butter?

That's an easy way to add calories to your diet. Same goes for beans.

But if you're avoiding dairy, sugars, and grains, then I would go all out and try a low-carb diet, where imo it's much easier to maintain your weight. These half-assed reduced carb, low-fat diets just don't cut it.

This must be one of the few things I agree with rakbs. Those half-ass approaches usually don't work.

Either go low-fat, high-carb (with lots of fruits) or low-carb, high-fat diet. People seem to have the most success with these 'extreme' approaches. Fats and carbs don't mix very well. So choose either one.

This must be one of the few things I agree with rakbs. Those half-ass approaches usually don't work.

Either go low-fat, high-carb (with lots of fruits) or low-carb, high-fat diet. People seem to have the most success with these 'extreme' approaches. Fats and carbs don't mix very well. So choose either one.

Sorry if im hijacking.

Im on a low carb-high fat diet right now (implenting more fats with time)..

But say, if I wanted to add a little more carb like 1 fruit a day or perhaps some brown rice. Should I remove some of the fat, or stay high fat and see how I would react to more carbs?

I know I can handle alot more than I give myself credit for, I just got a messed up stomach by antibiotics.

Which is good I guess

How much body fat you have?

Are you trying to consciously raise your body fat?

If you're moved by aestethical reasons consider that you won't look better or be healtheir once you have gained body fat. If you find yourself low on body fat but "shapeless" (so to say) you might find more success by keeping your diet as it is and adding a variety of conditioning exercises to shape your body and fill the silouette without actually gaining weight.

I always say this and I'm not trying to hijack people goals, it's just that there so much confusion about the role of muscles, fat, connettive tissue, exercise, gaining weight and losing weight that people often choose the wrong goals expecting results that won't be brought by whatever method is chosen to meet such goal.

The typical example is the starving girl who wants to be lean like a moden and believe that keeping losing weight is the way to, while actually she is going from fat to flab. What she actually need is some exercise-mediated toning and body shaping.

I'm trying to gain more weight, but with my current diet, it's pretty hard to gain any weight.

If you'll eat more you'll just gain fat

Are you losing weight day by day right now or stabilized yourself to a lower weight?

If you're losing weight than you should eat enough to sustain your body.

If you're not losing weight, eating more food will just cause your body to create fat stores rather than using it.

You need to be more specific about what you're after and why

Now here is my problem: I used to eat about 6-8 bowls of rice a day. Thats a lot of carbs, and I think thats how I maintained my weight. I've recently stopped eating any rice because I wanted to lower my glycemic load and I want to test how that will affect my acne.

So what else can I eat that will give me more carbs that is also low in glycemic load?

I'm also getting hungry really fast after meals... I used to be full for a long time after 2 bowls of rice in a meal. But even if this doesn't help my acne, I definitely need to lower my rice intake for my health.

Oh, and i eat a lot of Extra virgin olive oil. Would that contribute to my weight gain at all?..

Please give me your advice.

Do what I do. I can gain up to 50lbs in 6 months and lose up to 10lbs in a week. I am the man, the myth, the machine. :)

And no, eating olive oil has NOTHING TO DO WITH WEIGHT GAIN AT ALL. Whoever told you this was the biggest idiot on planet Earth or what playing a mean joke on you LOL!!!! I will tell this to my fellow bodybuilders in the gym tonight for huge LOLZ! :lol:

anyone can gain weight just eat more calories then your already having... But to add muscle you need to have an extensive workout so your ripping your muscle fibers so they can rebuild. And what food helps repair muscle? PROTEIN so thats why you should supplement with a natural protein shake I take egg protein... I already gained about 3 pounds of muscle in a month. Remember you can only gain 1 pound of muscle per week. but If you want to gain weight eat alot of more healthy high calories and make sure you weight train atleast 3 days a week working every muscle. Just watch out because I noticed since I highered my caloric intake I broke out.. and im pretty sure it was from the food... so be careful with that..

Oooh, now i get it. It's either Low fat, high carb; Or High fat, low carb.

This is extremely confusing.. because I'm pretty sure I'm not a High fat consuming type... whenever i eat excessive animal fat from cow or pork, I easily break out fast.

So I was always on a Low fat, high carb diet... But consuming so much carbs is not healthy even for a low fat, high carb diet... especially because I ate so much white rice (extremely high in glycemic load) I noticed i have many symtoms of 'Hyperglycemia' (high blood sugar levels), almost similar to diebetics. Such symtoms as polyphagia (frequent hunger), polyuria (frequent urination), poor wound healing, and especially a constant dry mouth. I just read that these symptoms could also be from a fatty acid imbalance, but I'm taking my fish oils now. It may also be high blood pressure levels, high cholesterol...

I actually have no idea what is going on. Recently I'm doing an intense research on this stuff... I feel like I'm a child that is lost in Disney Land (If you know how frightening and confusing this may feel..). I'm a graduating university student, and I'd really like to get all of this diet figured out by the end of this summer.

So this is my plan after some long and intense research and thinking. Stay on my low fat, high carb diet, but reduce the amount of refined carbs (white rice in this case), and replace it with brown rice and omit any glutins and other grains. Eat more vegetables.

I really hope this was the source of my acne (I have mild acne)

If you're moved by aestethical reasons consider that you won't look better or be healtheir once you have gained body fat. If you find yourself low on body fat but "shapeless" (so to say) you might find more success by keeping your diet as it is and adding a variety of conditioning exercises to shape your body and fill the silouette without actually gaining weight.

I'm not actually worried about my body shape or fitness. I'm in great shape right now, just a little on the skinny side, yet I'm very built (I workout everyday). I'm just worried that I may lose more weight due to my drop in carbs... (the white rice)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback, as well as the future feedback.

I guess we don't have to fight this alone after all!

Do what I do. I can gain up to 50lbs in 6 months and lose up to 10lbs in a week. I am the man, the myth, the machine. :)

And no, eating olive oil has NOTHING TO DO WITH WEIGHT GAIN AT ALL. Whoever told you this was the biggest idiot on planet Earth or what playing a mean joke on you LOL!!!! I will tell this to my fellow bodybuilders in the gym tonight for huge LOLZ! :lol:

LOL

well, what do you do Necromancer?... I'd like your advice on weight gaining

Did you mean the fast food diet?...

anyone can gain weight just eat more calories then your already having... But to add muscle you need to have an extensive workout so your ripping your muscle fibers so they can rebuild. And what food helps repair muscle? PROTEIN so thats why you should supplement with a natural protein shake I take egg protein... I already gained about 3 pounds of muscle in a month. Remember you can only gain 1 pound of muscle per week. but If you want to gain weight eat alot of more healthy high calories and make sure you weight train atleast 3 days a week working every muscle. Just watch out because I noticed since I highered my caloric intake I broke out.. and im pretty sure it was from the food... so be careful with that..

Thanks for the advice,

i tend to break out on protein shakes... oh yeah! egg whites are a great source of protein!

But for gaining weight...the problem with having higher calories is that i can't eat any of the food that are high in calories... they are all like dirty aggravating foods

When they say low carb - high fat I don't think they mean nasty red beefs and all the bad fats. I think they mean more like alot of the good/"better" fats and low on carb (but still enough to keep your bloodsugar stable).

And theres a big difference on the fats, wether they come from a nasty red beef and a grass-fed healthy beef.

What I bolded is wrong. That 1 lbs a week MYTH is complete BS. I gained 40lbs in 6 month back in 2006. That is more than a lbs/week. This fall from August to October, I plan to gain 20lbs and hit around 220lbs. Working out 3 days a week is another MYTH. Doing that will barely maintain current mass. Food didn't do it most likely.

LOL

well, what do you do Necromancer?... I'd like your advice on weight gaining

Did you mean the fast food diet?...

Thanks for the advice,

i tend to break out on protein shakes... oh yeah! egg whites are a great source of protein!

But for gaining weight...the problem with having higher calories is that i can't eat any of the food that are high in calories... they are all like dirty aggravating foods

No, I don't eat fast food much. I cook my own food - 4-6 meals a day.

Working out 3 days a week is another MYTH. Doing that will barely maintain current mass.

How often do you work out? I am thinking about trying some bodybuilding again...

no you can only gain a pound of muscle per week thats if your doing everything right.. extensive weight training,eating great, and proper rest. You might be talking about gaining fat or water weight..and im talking naturally if you take creatine or steroids of course you could gain more but thats not natural.

Working out 3 days a week is another MYTH. Doing that will barely maintain current mass.

How often do you work out? I am thinking about trying some bodybuilding again...

I workout pretty much everyday except vacation. On somedays I do 2-a-days, morning cardio and evening weights.

no you can only gain a pound of muscle per week thats if your doing everything right.. extensive weight training,eating great, and proper rest. You might be talking about gaining fat or water weight..and im talking naturally not while taking creatine or fucking steroids.

Behave! That right there showed your intelligence to bodybuilding. Creatine is found in meats and is completely natural. And I bet you got your 1lbs/week garbage from a website or someone told you that. You never really experimented it with yourself.

Also I'm not talking about fat or water weight either. Look at my pics loser LOL!

I know creatine is found naturally in the body aswell.. but im saying you can only gain 1 pound of muscle a week without taking supplements... of course if you take creatine you could prolly gain more in a week thats all im explaining. not tryin to argue on a message board man, just here to help people and myself.

no you can only gain a pound of muscle per week thats if your doing everything right.. extensive weight training,eating great, and proper rest. You might be talking about gaining fat or water weight..and im talking naturally if you take creatine or steroids of course you could gain more but thats not natural.

1.5 pounds per week is more realistic.

And supplementing egg protein isn't any less natural than supplementing creatine. (I don't advocate either practices.)

Oooh, now i get it. It's either Low fat, high carb; Or High fat, low carb.

Not true. Mixed diets work great as well: The Zone, The Isocaloric ...

You can easily have a macronutrients split of 33/33/33 and it would work well as well.

But as long as you don't overeat and consume a variety of healthy fresh foods, macronutrients ratios are meaningless and certainly not the criteria you should base your nutrition on.

I'm not actually worried about my body shape or fitness. I'm in great shape right now, just a little on the skinny side, yet I'm very built (I workout everyday). I'm just worried that I may lose more weight due to my drop in carbs... (the white rice)

Don't base your results on the scales.

The scale is useless.

The point is how much fat and muscles are in your body.

Let's say you're at 9% body fat.

If you have nonexistent atrophied muscles then you would be skinny but still wouldn't want to raise your fat. If you have are toned conditioned muscles you might have the physique of gymnastic or swimmer (ripped and lean) and therefore you wouldn't be skinny. You might want more muscular mass than that and therefore become bulky. But still you wouldn't want your body fat to increase.

If depends on your goal, what you want aestethically and functionally, the scale doesn't matter and you could throw it away as well.

0.5 is more realistic expecially after the first couples of months.

If you're gaining weight then you're gaining fat and muscles.

There's no such as a thing as a "gain" of 100% muscles

All people who brag about how they gained 5 pounds in a week are delusional and get a reality ass kick when they finally perform a DEXA body composition scan.

The slower you gain besides the better.

Creatine doesn't increase muscle growth. Creatine mostly assist in the recovery of central nervous fatigue

wow supplementing with 100% pure egg protein is definentally more natural then taking a creatine supplement.

and for my source "Impatience is the biggest enemy for those of us trying to gain muscle weight. On 'average' the best anyone can do with a perfect diet, excellent & hard workout routines, and everything else being perfect, is about 0.454kg (454 grams = 1 pound) of muscle per week. Scientifically this is the maximum limit for human beings. (Whttp://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/trainingT18.html)

wow supplementing with 100% pure egg protein is definentally more natural then taking a creatine supplement.

How so?

Both practices seem like a way of extracting amino acids from a healthy food; throwing away the rest of the food; and only taking the amino acids.

The only "natural" way to do it would be to eat whole eggs, and whole foods that contain creatine naturally.

0.5 is more realistic expecially after the first couples of months.

If you're gaining weight then you're gaining fat and muscles.

Sorry, but I can't agree with this.

A lot of weightlifters do indeed overdo the whole "bulking" thing and end up adding both fat and muscle (in fact, I've seen many people saying things like "You are supposed to gain fat on a bulk, there's no way around it). But if eat sensibly then any fat gain while gaining muscle would be negliglble imo. And I know this from experience.

A lot of weightlifters do indeed overdo the whole "bulking" thing and end up adding both fat and muscle (in fact, I've seen many people saying things like "You are supposed to gain fat on a bulk, there's no way around it). But if eat sensibly then any fat gain while gaining muscle would be negliglble imo. And I know this from experience.

That's why I said if you're "gaining"

If you're gaining weight then you've exceeded the threshold at which you can put on muscle without fat. And it's not a negligeable amount of fat. In most circumstances it is 50% of the total weight gained. The body potential for muscle growth is 0.25 to 0.5 pounds of dry muscle tissues. It's a physiological limit.

Now let's say you eat like a garbage pig and gain 25 pounds of weight in six months.

You can expect 9 of those pounds of be muscle tissue. You can expect 5 of those pounds to be glycogen. You can aspect 1 of those pound to be connective tissue. You can expect 10 of those pounds of the fat.

Now let's say you just eat slightly more than maintenance and gain 19 pounds in six months.

You can expect 10 of those pounds to be muscle. 5 to be glycogen. 4 to be fat.

This is unavoidable if you gain weight.

The only solution if you want to really minimize or avoid fat gain is to eat at maintenance.

Your weight wont change but slowly you'll have more muscles and less fat.

This approach is called recomposition.

Try eating lots of fatty dairy products. No skim! Unless you are allergic to milk or something. I wouldn't be surprised if being skinny and ripped is healthier than being fat and 'ripped.'

I wouldn't be surprised if being skinny and ripped is healthier than being fat and 'ripped.'

Well said daughter of Eve !

Lol, this post has turned into something irrelevant to acne.

Ah, I see.

Thanks a lot for the reply Danny

I'd like to clarify some things...

I'm on the ripped and lean side and I'd like to get slightly bigger, but not really bulkier.. I dont really want any more muscle than what I have now because I dont want to look so bulky. I guess I want to be slightly bigger? Would I have to make more body fat or just more muscles?..

And what do I have to do exactly? If I wanted to actually put on some weight, would I need more protein or carbs, fat? Also, as stated by Necromancer, I should just eat more often? Of what though?

Lol, this post has turned into something irrelevant to acne.

Ah, I see.

Thanks a lot for the reply Danny

I'd like to clarify some things...

I'm on the ripped and lean side and I'd like to get slightly bigger, but not really bulkier.. I dont really want any more muscle than what I have now because I dont want to look so bulky. I guess I want to be slightly bigger? Would I have to make more body fat or just more muscles?..

I'm afraid what you want is slightly impossible.

If you're ripped and have a low ideal body fat, that's the frame of your body.

You said you don't want more muscles because that would make you bulkier but you don't want fat either since it won't make you bigger just flabbier and not ripped anymore.

Another option though might be to train your muscles in a way that they're shaped to make you look bigger. Actually you might want to lose more fat for that but it also depends what BF% you have right now. By building the muscles of the chest, shoulders and back and leaning your waist a lot you appear bigger. Also if you gain flexibility and stretch the fascia of your muscles they will also have a different look. If you could post a pic that would help a lot to see what you really need.

And what do I have to do exactly? If I wanted to actually put on some weight, would I need more protein or carbs, fat? Also, as stated by Necromancer, I should just eat more often? Of what though?

If you want to put on more muscles you need to train more and increase your post-workout nutrition. If you want to gain fat you just need to increase your calories and your body will store them since it can't utilize them. But this is really not an healthy or aestethically pleasant option.