Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LkyCharm

I'm Desperate....

I'm 23 yrs old & i've had HORRIABLE acne since i was 14. People called me pizza face in middle school. My acne used to be really bad but the older i got the better it got. It's no where near as bad as it used to be. Normally I will get a few small breakouts that drive me crazy but lately the acne really hurts like huge purple spots on my face, i'm embarressed to go places, make up doesn't even help cover it up just makes it less purple. My husband thinks i'm beautiful but i hate the way i look. I also have a son that is 9 months my skin looked great while i was pregnant. I can't say i have tried everything but i've tired over the counter stuff which works for like 3 months then stops, i've tried some things back when i was younger that was perscription & same thing, proactiv worked GREAT but when i stopped using it BAM came back even worse. i've been told to go to a spa & get facial treatments but omg they are soooo expenisve & with the way the economy is there just isn't enough money for "me time." I've been looking around on the site for ways to make it better, i'm going to buy the products here to see if they work, but money is tight so i was going to see what other people had to say about stuff they used at home to make it better, anyone got suggestions?

I'd consider going to a dermatologist or your regular doctor to see if you can get birth control pills unless of course you're planning on having another child soon or there are other contraindications to birth control. BCPs can make a huge difference for hormonal acne in women. So can spironolactone. But for either, you need to go to a doctor for the prescription.

Retinoids are also great.

I'd consider going to a dermatologist or your regular doctor to see if you can get birth control pills unless of course you're planning on having another child soon or there are other contraindications to birth control. BCPs can make a huge difference for hormonal acne in women. So can spironolactone. But for either, you need to go to a doctor for the prescription.

Retinoids are also great.

I agree. I'm ttc now, but nothing outside of BCP and spiro have really helped control my acne. I did Accutane 3 tinems when I was younger, and it got rid of the cysts for the most part, but not my whiteheads. As it is right now, my derm is very conservative with women who are ttc, pregnant or breastfeeding, so he won't give me anything stronger than a pregnancy class B topical for my acne, such as erythromycin and Finacea. I was on that combo for a good while, but it wasn't really doing much for me, and I'm getting some decent break-outs on my chin and sometimes on my cheeks and the crevices around my nose. I've been on the DKR (acne.org regimen) for four weeks now and still breaking out, but this is no surprise to me. I also added in organic apple cider vinegar (I drink 1 tsp in a glass or container of water 3x/day) into my regimen about two days ago. It's $5 a bottle, so I figure there isn't much to lose in trying that as well.

It's always worth a trip to the dermatologist. I'd rather pay out cash and get prescription medicine than spend tons of money on over the counter and spa treatments that are either temporary fixes or not work at all. I credit my dermatologist with helping to clear my face. We tried different combos of stuff before we finally got it right. I didn't want to go on accutane, so we were aggressive with oral antibiotics and topicals. I also changed my diet and added high doses of Vitamin C and Zinc supplements. I'm 100% clear and now working on my scars and discoloration. I'm not saying this will work for you but if you have been suffering this long, it's time to see a medical doctor. I actually see a PA (Physician's assistant. She is much cheaper than a Dr. but can write prescriptions and she really knows her stuff about acne. I pay out of pocket because one trip to her and sending my prescriptions to Canada to be filled is cheaper than going to the spa every 2-3 weeks for purifying facials that only helped somewhat.

Doctors/Derms are WAY overrated when it comes to the battle against acne. IMO, your better off seeing an allergist, or figure out on your own just what the hell is going on. This may not be an easy fix, but certainly a less expen$ive one. After all my years of going to derms, they never mentioned anything about changing diet or avoiding certain chemicals...whay? They're out to make $$$. I had 3 courses of Tane in my life, and guess what...I NEVER needed them!

my husband told me yesterday that when his insurance kicks in & i cancel mine he wants me to go to a derm. the last one i went to when i was like 16 (worst in my life) he told my mom i needed plastic surgery. where i live at there aren't really any good derms. my mom has skin cancer & she see's the best here but you have to be as bad as she is to get an appointment. i've thought about tagging along to one of her appointments to see if she might give me a hint of advice...would that be a good idea?

my husband told me yesterday that when his insurance kicks in & i cancel mine he wants me to go to a derm. the last one i went to when i was like 16 (worst in my life) he told my mom i needed plastic surgery. where i live at there aren't really any good derms. my mom has skin cancer & she see's the best here but you have to be as bad as she is to get an appointment. i've thought about tagging along to one of her appointments to see if she might give me a hint of advice...would that be a good idea?

I would make an appointment with your mom's derm instead of bogarting your mom's appintment. If s/he isn't accepting new patients, say that your mom is a current patient, and they'll usually take you. Although, does your mom's doctor specialize or have interest in treating acne?

If proactiv worked for you stick to it.

The thing that is working for me right now has been my switch to no-dairy no-cereals/grains diet (no potatoes or sweets or cashews/peanuts either). So far so good, but you got to stick to it, and have good nights of sleep.

Try it for two weeks?