Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~ Dee

Oily.. Need a heavy coverage foundation, & compact makeup

Every makeup I've tried with a decent ingredients list turns orange later in the day. Or, completely quits working and looks disgusting after an 8 hour shift. They leave all my pores showing and the makeup turns into a soup on my skin. Even using blotting tissues don't work. Because often, by the time I get to it, all the makup comes off onto the blotting paper. Even just patting lightly.

Including Everyday Minerals. Matter of fact, my skin is simply way too oily for that makeup. It also enhances every pore and wrinkle I have.

I really need to find a new combination. I turned 35 today, but am super oily, & have at least one wrinkle that makeup likes to fold into.

I also have to wear a sunscreen everyday.

Oh, & if if contains bismuth oxychloride I can't use it.

I need a compact powder, because of my job.

So, again... I'm looking for a compact powder to carry for oily skin, & a full-heavy coverage foundation to wear.

Please help me out. (Cover girl fresh look also turns orange)

Are you only looking for drugstore brands?

The only Drugstore brand I can think of is Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse. I would have LOVED it if they only had it in my color (they were all too dark for me). They have pressed powders now, too. Applying it with a brush will get the best coverage.

After that, the first two to pop into my head are Mac and Dermablend. I haven't used either, but I've read many many reviews. I don't know how either of them are with oily skin (Dermablend may be better), but both are made for full coverage. Dermanbled is less likely to cause breakouts than Mac, as Mac is pretty pancake batter-y, but many people have no trouble with it.

Dermablend's color selection is very small. Mac is far better with the color selection. Dermablend you can get at Ulta or Sephora, Mac you can get at department stores.

EDIT: Revlon makes a colorstay for oily skin, but I had a HORRIBLE breakout when I tried that (after they put the SoftFlex in it), so I avoid recommending that stuff. However, your skin may take to it fine, if you haven't tried it already.

It would be nice to find a drugstore brand due to the cost of living. But, I'd seriously look into anything. If it's outrageously priced, I'd probably opt out on it though.

I'm very pale. Hence the statement about orangey color. I need stuff that goes on Ivory, & stays Ivory.

I will not use MAC. It can cause breakouts.

I'm not sure which version of dermablend to use...Must be for pale ppl... & Do they make a compact I can carry around to help with oily skin?

I think you may want the Smooth Indulgence line. I remember trying the colors at the store and the lightest shade looked light enough for me. Might have been a bit too pink. Hard to tell. With some super pale, neutral powder, it might have been fine. They have a trial version you can buy.

If you don't want talc, stay away from that "magic powder" nonsense. That's all it is. Talc. You can buy your own in bulk for way cheaper if you really want. Or use baby powder. Or just a simple pressed powder.

Unfortunately the only compact they make, as far as I can tell, is the finishing talc powder. However, a good compact is much easier to find, I think. If you're looking for matte (I'm also uber pale and uber oily), Dream Matte by Maybelline makes a pressed powder you may want to look into. They look less orange-y than their mousses.

Thing with Dermablend is it's really expensive (though cheaper than Coverblend) and really difficult to remove without their special makeup remover or an oil based remover (baby oil method). I say go with the baby oil since you can get a huge bottle for like, two bucks at target instead of blowing more money on the special stuff.

Here's the site.

After trying so many foundations, I always go back to the Clinique clarifying foundation. It gives a good medium to heavier buildable coverage and seems to last and not melt off my oily skin. This foundation is truely for oily skin and is a very matte finish but not super heavy. I do not use Clinique pressed powder since it seems to cake on me or look weird if using it for a few touchups but the loose is ok. I like the Estee Lauder double matte powder compact (around 25.00 but lasts forever). The compact is pretty, stays pretty for months and the powder is soooo good. Gives good coverage over the foundation as well as seems to have superior oil controlling qualities and doesn't look cakey or glowey if you use it a few times throughout the day. Also you can wait till they do the free gift with purchase and get freebies when you buy it. It hasn't ever broken me out and I've used it off and on for years.

Drug store brands?? I havn't found many that I love, but for 4 hours or under, the Almay clear skin one is OK. I also worry about breakouts and tend to like the foundations which have the clarifying qualities.

Clinique Superfit is pretty good also. Gives a nice SEMI matte finish but had the tendency to melt off after around 4-5 hours and also could break me out if left on too long.

Colorstay is good but I think clogged my pores. Thinking about trying it again since the finish is nice and the colors are good.

Hope this helps a bit.

I've wondered about trying dermablend myself, since I love a very long lasting foundation. I live in Texas and the heat is an issue with foundations. Many do not hold up in 100 degree weather, the Clinique clarifying does. : )

Everything looks either orange or yellow on me, so I use Prescriptives. I know it's spendy, but to me, it is worth it. I tried Loreal Color Match foundation last year because I thought I'd find something cheaper that was as good, but the coverage just wasn't as good as the Prescritives foundation I use. Who knows, though, maybe you'd have some luck with it. The concealer they make is pretty good, actually. Come to think of it, I also liked Mary Kay's medium coverage foundation as well when I used it, and it isn't as expensive as the Precriptives stuff. It had good coverage, blended well, and matched my skin fairly closely. I don't use poweder, so I have nothing to offer about that. Sorry!

I have read some great reviews on the Covergirl Fresh Complexion Pocket Powder Foundation. It isn't a mineral makeup, but it is supposed to combat shine.

You should give Joppa Minerals a try. My friend has super oily skin and she loves their full coverage formula (too drying for my skin) they add kaolin clay to this formula so it would be wonderful for absorbing oil. They have really cheap samples and also are offering free shipping so it would be worth a try.

I want to thank everyone for thier suggestions.

Keep them coming.. It'll take me some time to explore these. But, I am paying attention.

I also know I'm not the only one w/these issues.

It can be very difficult to take care of your needs on the job nowadays. So, your advice may help more women than just me.

:cool:

Hi,

Just want to share with everybody I found my HG foundation for my (extremely) oily /acne-prone skin :dance: . EDM doesn't work for me. It shows fine lines, makes my skin feel really dry but when I look at myself in the mirror my face is really oily. Its staying power is not good as well.

I find YSL foundation to be the best in controlling oil. I tried The Body Shop (hoping it's natural), Lancome, Dior, Chanel, Estee Lauder (the DoubleWear foundation stays on really long but I always break out wearing that). If you've been to Asia you can see that all of the premium lines above have a special range (often Whitening / Blanc sth) in Asia market and those are really good, always have SPF of at least 25, control oil well.

So now I mix EDM foundation with Peter Thomas Roth Clarifying Gel and apply it as a base then put on YSL WHITE MODE FOUNDATION SPF 30 (compact) and I'm good to go all day even in this humid summer in Asia. I sometimes use Chanel Blanc Concealer and put Guerlain Loose Powder on top. My skin still gets oily after 3-4 hours but when I look in the mirror it's not bad. I often put on makeup at 9 in the morning then go around all day and by 8 PM if I need to go out again, I just need some blotting tissues and a little MAC Blot Powder.

Now I always stock up those products everytime I travel to Asia. I think those with oily skins should give YSL White Mode a try.

I often use DHC Q10 Moist Color Base SPF 30+ in beige under my foundation. It got great reviews on makupalley as an oil controlling primer, non greasy sunblock, and color corrector in one. Once it dries it won't budge, & it gives some coverage too, so you end up using less foundation on top. I mix it with my moisturizer to apply because it dries really fast and can be hard to spread around.

What I also really like that doesn't get greasy on me is Origins Reflection Perfection Mattifying Foundation; it's under $20 and lasts awhile for a seemingly small tube. I apply it with a damp makeup brush, cuz again it dries fast. Then I set it with a powder (EM in my case, which is my usual foundation). I also like Origins compact powder for touch-ups.

Sorry no drugstore recommendations, but everything slides off my oily face too... I liked Loreal Ideal Balance for it's coverage and colors, but it turned to goopy cake mix on my face.

I still have to blot with my current products, but just a few times a day as opposed to every hour. I don't look gross either, even if a little shine comes through.

Also, if foundations are turning orange on you, then there is a good chance they are too dark and/or warm toned.

have you tried a primer at all? i don't have oily skin, so i don't have this problem, but i've heard awesome things about monistat chafing relief powder gel as a primer and oil controler. maybe that would help? i've also heard good things about the clinque clarifying foundation that someone else mentioned.

Have you tried an oil absorbing or mattifying lotion? Or monistat chafing gel as a primer? A layer milk of magnesia also absorbs oil. According to cosmeticscop.com 'The magnesium hydroxide is more absorbent than clays or talc, and also has antibacterial properties for skin.'

Try bare minerals. It's a loose powder and it's all natural. I also have extremely oily skin by the end of the day, but the bare minerals does not cake on like liquid makeup so your face does not feel like it's running by the end of the day. very nice.