Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aly64

How to look older?

I'm in my mid 20's, but I still look like I'm a teenager. I get tired of people thinking I'm so young. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to look older?

I'm afraid that gene runs in my family as well. I'm almost eighteen and still look thirteen. My mum swears I'll be thankful for that gene one day, but right now it's just a nuisance. :lol: She's almost fifty and still looks like she's thirty.

Growing up, however, people thought that she was older than she was, despite the fact that she physically looked younger. Her secret was in the way she dressed, spoke, and presented herself so sophisticatedly among others. It's not that she was trying to be someone she wasn't; she just always found her style to be more sophisticated. Thus, people believed her when she said she was twenty-something. :P One thing that may help you is videotaping yourself to see how you sound and look to others. It's a little trick my mum taught me!

Also, never overdo it with makeup. Over-applying makeup makes you look less mature than you really are. Keep it simple: use neutral eyeshadows (play it up for a night out, but don't go overboard!); soft blushes or bronzers for a natural glow; foundations that match the skin tone.

Finally, pay attention to trends that are common within your age group. Don't limit yourself to just jeans and average-looking shirts. Wear things that are bold and chic! :D (One trend that I just ADORE right now is the pencil skirt. It's so lovely, and just the perfect touch to a woman's look!)

I'm afraid that gene runs in my family as well. I'm almost eighteen and still look thirteen. My mum swears I'll be thankful for that gene one day, but right now it's just a nuisance. :lol: She's almost fifty and still looks like she's thirty.

Growing up, however, people thought that she was older than she was, despite the fact that she physically looked younger. Her secret was in the way she dressed, spoke, and presented herself so sophisticatedly among others. It's not that she was trying to be someone she wasn't; she just always found her style to be more sophisticated. Thus, people believed her when she said she was twenty-something. :P One thing that may help you is videotaping yourself to see how you sound and look to others. It's a little trick my mum taught me!

Also, never overdo it with makeup. Over-applying makeup makes you look less mature than you really are. Keep it simple: use neutral eyeshadows (play it up for a night out, but don't go overboard!); soft blushes or bronzers for a natural glow; foundations that match the skin tone.

Finally, pay attention to trends that are common within your age group. Don't limit yourself to just jeans and average-looking shirts. Wear things that are bold and chic! :D (One trend that I just ADORE right now is the pencil skirt. It's so lovely, and just the perfect touch to a woman's look!)

Everything you said is SO true. I am sixteen and most people below the age of thirty think that I am twelve. The rest think I'm around eighteen :dance:. I guess it's because I act more like a twelve-year-old when I'm around the younger crowd.

I have this same problem being 20 going to my little brother's highschool and asking what class i am in?

i hate that haha even coworkers ( i work in an office environment) treat me like a little kid, quite frustrating sometimes.

I think it's about how you carry yourself. and i try not to dress too "teen-y" (i.e. brand names on clothes, etc, heels .. i'm short too which doesn't help the situation)

Hah I get the same thing. just turned 20 and people just refuse to believe me when I tell them so. In fact, alot of people go so far as flat out calling me a liar when I tell them I'm 20. They swear I don't look a day over 14, which is annoying, but I know I'll be thankful for it one day, when I turn 50 and still look 37 (with the help of good genes and proper skincare, of course) :D

Hehe I'd just enjoy looking young babe. I'm 22 and would ****ing KILL to have those kind of genes :)

Your mum's right, you'll be super happy about it when ur 30 :dance:

I'm 24 and people often think I am about 18. Just embrace it. In 10 years you'll love looking younger.

One thing though, if you want people to take you more seriously as a adult, then dress & grooming can help a bit. This doesn't mean piling on makeup or anything. If you wear neutral tones and classic matte lip colors it will make you seem more mature. Just enough makeup to come off as polished. Trendy colors tend to make you seem younger. With clothes, go for classic pieces that fit well and are a bit dressier. Again, really trendy stuff screams young, as does super casual.

For instance, if I wear a short jean skirt & a tee and pink lip gloss people think I am 16, but when I wear wide leg trousers and a black top knit top and red heels & red lipstick then people think I am more like 21. So on occasions when you feel you need to be more commanding (ie. work), then dress & grooming can help.

haha my mom says "wear makeup"

I dressed up to work and they said "we dont expect you to dress up.." lol

My job is very casual as well (no dress code, no expectations at all), but sometimes I dress up still. Even when I go casual & wear jeans I try and dress them up, cuz it makes me seem more professional & people take me more seriously. And you know what they say: "dress for the job you want, not the job you have" which usually means, dress up more.

Like for a guy, I think cutting their hair makes them look younger. But for a girl it can be different, so you can experiment with that.

If people are saying that you look younger than you are, I would take that as a compliment. Unless you're an adult and people say you look 12. In that case, I feel sorry for you. Puberty must not have been kind to you.

If people are saying that you look younger than you are, I would take that as a compliment. Unless you're an adult and people say you look 12. In that case, I feel sorry for you. Puberty must not have been kind to you.

Are you kidding? I'd speedily whip out my ID with a huge cheesy grin if someone said I looked 12. That'd put me over the moon! :D

I have the opposite problem - I'm 16 and people always age me between 18 and 25. I've only just left school, and most people assume I'm at Uni or working. From what I've found, too much makeup generally makes you look younger than you are, and obviously the type of clothes can make a difference. To be fair though, the main thing that sets your age is your attitude, how you speak and how you deal with things. If you act convincing mature, people see you as older. If you go round screaming and messing around as a 12 year old would, then people are going to see you as younger.

I have the same problem, it used to annoy me especially when going into clubs and the bouncers thinking my ID was a fake. Now that I am closer to 30...I'm 28 now, I am enjoying it LOL My kids make me feel older then I am, so now when I get carded I appreciate it LOL On top of looking super young I am also super skinny which doesnt help. I get comments like "dont you ever eat" or "you need to eat something" That annoys me more then people thinking I am younger than I really am. I eat like a pig, I just have a super metabolism.

All I can say is enjoy it, because when were 50 were gonna be HOT lol

i have the same problem :( i really hate it when people say 'your lucky! i'd love it if people said i looked younger' Last year when i was twenty,i went to the shop in trackies and got ID'ed doing the lottery! the lottery! even worse the girl that asked my age was about fourteen! pffft.

make-up and heels solve the problem for me. lots of eye make-up at that,somehow makes u look older

I have the same problem, and I'm 27. The older I get, the more I appreciate being carded for things :) But sometimes, it really isn't a compliment. People often think I look as young as 13 or so, and I get treated really differently because of it. Thinking I'm a year or two younger is one thing, but people are downright condescending when they think you're a young teen. It doesn't help that my husband looks as young as I do, and we have an almost 5 year old daughter. He's actually had people refuse to believe that he was her father and not her older brother; we've had children at parks refuse to believe we were old enough to be parents. The last couple years it's gotten better for me; people more often think I'm in my early 20s than my early teens. But I sympathize with how frustrating it can be.

Guest kiwikali

i have the opposite problem. on halloween i was getting ready to go out, and the doorbell rings and it was some college students from the university by my house, and they're like so you go to UCI? i'm like... i'm in JUNIOR HIGH. that was 3 years ago when i was barely 13. it's so weird, people are like you're in HIGH SCHOOL??? did you get held back? ahhah. i guess its good to look older, sorry you look young! you'll be happy about that though 10 years from now.

to look older... hmm

push up bra

black kohl eyeliner

but please don't be a slut, no one likes sluts.