Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rhianna

My new regimen log

Hi :)

I am new to posting here, but after reading so many other useful posts I thought I'd better contribute my own experiences! I am 26, suffering moderate acne on my face and chest which I am desperate to clear. It is temperamental, and often looks better, often worse, which adds to the roller coaster of emotions.

Since I was a teenager I have tried... oxytetracycline, minocycline, other antibiotics I don't remember, dianette, various topical treatments (so many that I can't remember their names), and most recently duac & differin. The latter was working ok (not clear, but better) but my doctor, for financial reasons mainly I am guessing, decided I must be growing out of it and therefore will not prescribe any more. Needless to say, I'm not growing out of it! As a last resort I may go back and beg, but it is humiliating at 26 and I always feel like they do not want to waste their time on a condition which is not life-threatening, so I am trying this regimen first.

I am waiting eagerly for my supplies! (I live in the UK so am also hoping they are worth the shipping charge!) Have ordered the cleanser, treatment and moisturiser as I may as well start as I mean to go on and try and do everything properly. As I am already using duac (squeezing out my last supplies with anxiety!), although I have sensitive skin, I have already got used to using 5% BP (a slow and painful process initially, but now mainly fine). So I'm hoping I can jump right in with the correct amount 2x a day, as the quantity seems to be a really important factor in this. Am hoping not to break out from switching regimes, but must remember that despite the good days I've also had rubbish days when I've felt too ashamed to leave the house, so it can't really get much worse :cry:

So, keep your fingers and toes crossed for me! Will post next when they arrive...

Hey, thought I'd welcome you.

I live in the US and it took a few days for mine to come in, so expect it in roughly a week. :)

I also think the starter kit works, even though its only my first day on it.

hey rhianna, im also in the uk and the shipping fee is definitely worth it! the products are such good quality, the bp is almost soothing after a while! mine took about a week to come on the 1-3 week delivery charge so hopefully yours will be just as quick. if you need any advice on uk stuff feel free to pm me. good luck!

Hey there, good luck! I am only on my 3rd day of Dan`s regimen, but I like it already.

It`s not a miracle cream or anything, but it feels good to be taking regular care of my skin. :D

I think that you have to be in a good frame of mind, so keep positive!!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for the support - everyone is so friendly here! And of course good luck with your regimens :D

Hurrah! My order finally arrived yesterday :clap: ... I say finally because I had to call UPS 3 times to chase it up, and each time they told me it would be delivered the next day, and wasn't... I have to say it was processed really quickly by this site though and shipped pretty much straight away, so I can't complain about Dan & co. !

So, it's far too early obviously to comment on my skin, just to say that before starting it was breaking out a bit (because each time UPS told me it was about to be delivered, I held off on the duac because I didn't want to apply the regimen to already flaky skin... but this resulted in a few days of not applying much).

My 1st impressions:

CLEANSER:

I'm impressed by how gentle it is. I've always used gentle cleansers because anything else irritated my skin due to various medications I have used. Previously I was using Avene's extremely gentle cleanser, and Dan's cleanser seems as gentle, with the added benefit that it is foaming which gives it a nice clean feel. Although I am using it twice in the evening (just gently applying it though) in order to feel confident my make-up is off.

TREATMENT:

This is totally different to any other BP I have used. It is quite runny in consistency and goes on really smoothly and easily. It doesn't seem as harsh as Panoxyl (evil!!) and seems a bit thinner than duac and Oxy. It smells slightly, but not enough to worry about. I used 1 pump on my face and 1 pump for my neck and chest last night, and this morning. I was worried waking up this morning in case my face was red, burning and flaking, but thankfully it was fine, a little flaky but then it tends to be anyway, especially after showering. After the morning application I spent all day at work worrying about whether my skin would become uncomfortable during the day, but it has not so I am pleased so far!

MOISTURISER:

Whilst using Duac and Differin my saviour has been Eucerin hydro protect SPF 15. It is quite thick, but after trying a few things it is always the one I go back to because it is the only one that gets rid of the flakiness I get a lot of. In comparison, Dan's moisturiser feels really light. It feels very nice to apply, and goes on easily. Because it is lighter I am applying it all over my face which I never did with the eucerin as it felt to heavy. So far, it is sufficient, I only hope it will be good enough when my face starts flaking after a few days... time will tell! I hope it will be because I like the consistency and it doesn't leave a residue on my skin. I will try adding Jojoba oil first if dry skin becomes a problem.

So, after 2 applications my face feels normal, my chest is slightly itchy, and my neck is itchy, so I'll cut down the amount of BP on these areas tonight. I'm pleased so far, but I have found in the past that dryness and irritation tends to kick in after a few days, so don't want to start too fast and won't be increasing BP amount any time soon!

The only question I have so far is that 1 pump of BP seems HUGE! And takes ages to apply, which I don't mind, but I'm worried that when I'm applying 2 pumps it will take about 15 minutes to apply! I am pressing down on the pump fully but it does say "2 full pumps" in Dans description so I guess this must be right?? Obviously I don't mind spending time on it if it will benefit my skin, but it just seems wrong!

(p.s. please skin be nice to me over the weekend - have a date with an incredibly lovely guy on Sunday!! :dance: With perfect skin..... grrrrrr...... bet he wouldn't believe it if he knew I would prefer it if he got a spot or two once in a while!!)

DAY 3 (MORNING):

My skin was a bit flaky in the morning, but not much. Otherwise it felt fine :) I used 1 pump again on my face, and about 3/4 pump on my chest and neck as these areas were slightly (but only slightly) dry and a little itchy, and I don't want to overdo it. The products still feel easy to apply, and the BP in particular goes on smoothly. My breakout from a few days ago is no worse or better, but at least I can wear makeup :D as my skin is not very dry (yet!)

Thanks HB! :wub:

DAY 4 (MON 30TH JUNE)

So far, so good! My breakout is clearing, I am happy :) (Was bad and squeezed a few the other day but thankfully they are clearing, managed to last 2 whole days then caved in (guilty as charged) eww sorry for that...) However I realise this clearing is probably just coincidence and am trying not to set myself up for a fall...

Am still using 1 pump (sometimes a little less) for my face, and 1 pump for my chest and neck, and I have only a bit of dryness which the moisturiser takes care of nicely. I am applying a decent amount of moisturiser in the evening, but slightly less in the morning as in the hot weather at the moment my skin looks greasy very quickly and I spend forever blotting it otherwise! At the moment I can get away with this, just need to add some around the mouth area throughout the day as this part gets peely (nice ;-) ) I am also able to put the BP on a bit quicker now (though still gently enough I hope) as I am getting more used to doing it.

I must say it's really nice not to have as much redness and irritation as I expected. The first time I used BP (years and years ago) I could only apply it for about 5mins a day then had to wash it off, and I still looked like I had burnt my skin really badly. There is no way I would have been able to go to work with it on all day. I'm not going to increase the BP yet because I am noticing my skin getting slightly drier each day. I'll see what it's like on Thurs night, because that will be 1 week, and go from there.

Negatives so far??

- Slight peeling (not enough to complain about)

- Had a couple of really itchy marks on each of my arms (from getting BP on them when asleep!) which I put hydrocortisone cream on which sorted them out

- Itchy eyelids!! ouch :doh: Think I have resolved this by vowing not to touch my eyes in the day (harder than it sounds!) and by leaving my BP/moisturiser to sink in properly before I go to bed and it all gets rubbed around my face (just when I thought the regime was long enough!)

- The expense of having to buy lots of white tops! (But an excuse to buy new clothes is never a bad thing...)

And that's about all for now. I'm finding it really useful to do this log as it helps me keep track of everything I'm doing, and also slows me down - it seems like I've been doing it a lot longer and the temptation to move too quickly and apply too much gel is huge! Never did have any patience ;-)

Good to see you are easing into it and going about the regimen in the right way. I have to agree that keeping a log really is a great way to make yourself stick with it and do things properly. I have been keeping one as well and I find that I want to go a good job morning and night so I can come post about it. Best of luck.

Thanks hamilton08! And good luck with yours as well. I've been reading your posts and willing you along, they are nice and detailed :)

Anyway... another day, another log

DAY 6 (WED)

Woke up to skin so much improved on my face I almost cried ;) (Beginner's luck I am thinking). Then I showered and my skin shrivelled, dired up and felt really tight, typical! Applied everything as normal, but my skin was quite peely around my mouth, even after moisturising. Think I must have moisturised about 7 times today (just in that area) so will be heading to Holland & Barrett to buy some johoba oil at the weekend and will see if that improves things.

My chest is ok, not peeling or red at all, am wondering if I need to use more here. Does anyone else use it here? If so - how much??? I use 1 pump. Skin is maybe a little clearer but it's hard to tell, I think it's too soon.

My neck is a bit like an old lady's (no more nice hair-up styles for me!) I never really used my duac, differin or BP here so it's never really had much chance to get used to it. Skin no clearer here either, but then it's hard to tell as this morning as even after applying moisturiser it was hard to turn my head! Again, reapplied moisturiser lots here throughout the day. I like the moisturiser a lot, but think I need more help in certain areas so again will try Johoba here. I don't want to revert to my old Eucerin Hydro Protect because it feels really thick now in comparison and I don't want to switch products if I don't have to. I think consistency is important in this regimen. I'll see how it goes.

Overall? I am still happy with how things are going, just hope my face stays clear(ish!). It is so much easier to cope with the spots / redness / dryness is trouble places if there are other places that are looking better - I don't expect miracles after all. It's when it all goes wrong at once it gets a bit depressing :boohoo:

Had a really stressful few days at work recently, am hoping this won't show on my skin soon - especially as I've been reading about cutting down caffeine to reduce the stress response in the body. Have gone from about 28 cups a week to about 2 and am a huge green tea fan now, strangely not missing it much.

(p.s. 1 week tomorrow :dance: )

DAY 9 (SAT)

I have guilt!!

Ooops. :confused: the last few days I haven't been very good... have existed on a few hours sleep (therefore drunk lots of coffee to keep me awake), eaten too much junk food, and rushed the regimen one night because I was too tired to keep my eyes open (I did do it, but didn't wait the full time in between washing and applying BP, and didn't put moisturiser on at all :naughty: ) Woke up the next morning with reeeeeally dry skin (serves me right!)

Since then I've been on my best behaviour :angel: I've rewatched Dan's videos, and increased my BP to 1.5 pumps each on my face and chest. My chest doesn't get very dry at all, but my face is a bit peely still, even with regular applications of moisturiser in the day. Therefore I've bought some Jojoba oil (from Holland & Barrett if anyone from the UK is interested, about £6.50 if I remember correctly). Am hoping this will help.

My neck is quite bad. I have new spots regularly and it is so flaky most of the time there are hardly any areas not peeling off. I skipped a few morning BP applications to give it chance to recover slightly (I can't really reduce the quantity because I'm only using a pea-sized amount anyway!) It got a bit better, so I'll start back on 2x a day again and see how it goes.

My face still looks better, but nowhere else does (not that I expect it to yet of course) so I think it's just coincidence...

DAY 11 (MON)

Ok, so I've been using Jojoba oil since Saturday afternoon. At first I didn't notice much change so was a bit worried that I was stuck with flaky skin... but today I've only had to add moisturiser once so far (in the afternoon), which is much better than usual.

I'm using lots of it - I always add it to my moisturiser now (about 4 drops), and also put a layer on before BP application, as I've read about this in some other people's posts. I thought it would affect the way the BP goes on, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm doing this morning and night, and it seems to be helping control the flakiness now I've been doing it a couple of days.

I'm using almost 2 pumps of BP on my face and chest now (2 pumps for each... it takes me forever!) as other than the flakiness my skin isn't irritated / itchy etc. Except for my neck - I'm back at x2 BP applications a day now it's a bit less irritated, but I'm not using much. It's a bit itchy and red, but bearable and improving.

My face is much clearer than when I started, as is my chest. My neck is a bit improved - the spots have lost their inflamed yucky look anyway, they seem to be healing, so it's just a case of whether the amount of new ones decreases (fingers crossed!)

Overall, I'm a lot happier with everything today :)

Sorry for boring you with my posts :confused: It helps me keep track of things!

DAY 14 (THURS): 2 weeks!

And I'm an idiot. It's official.

Dry, dry, dry, flaky, flaky, flaky. Looks like that dryness just needed a bit of time to kick in - the last few days have been uncomfortable to say the least, despite trying to rectify the situation with extreme amounts of Jojoba and moisturiser.

The last 2 applications I've just used 1 pump for my face, 1 for my chest, and nothing on my neck (will apply a small amount to my neck once a day once it looks like human skin again).

So, I solemnly swear, for all who care to see, that I will not change this amount for a week! To give my skin chance to recover a bit and get used to it. What a plank. :wacko:

(serves me right for thinking everything was going so well on Monday... ha ha ha)

aww sorry to hear you got hit by the flakes, dont worry though everyone has this problem and they're easily fixable by just using a little less bp and lots more moisturiser and jojoba.

by the way, ive always felt that when i have visible flakes on the surface of my skin (lots of them) that this actually enhances how dry my skin is. i dont know why this would be, maybe the dead skin stops moisturiser sinking into the skin as well or maybe the skin is wasting moisture trying to fix dead skin cells (just an idea) but anyway yes my point to that long ramble was when you're skin isnt feeling tight and dry anymore and you feel its a little less irritated you may want to try and exfoliate the flakes off so your skin can fully recover. they should come off pretty easily with a jojoba scrub a la cool as kim deals post (search for it if you're interested) and this way is really gentle too. just thought id let you know because i used to spend forever trying to moisturise the flakes away, with no success obviously, but once they're dead skin they just need to be sloughed off. good luck!

DAY 16 (SAT):

Thanks for the advice :) I really appreciate your comments. How is your regimen going now? Are you pleased with it so far?

So... For Thurs, Fri and today I've been applying 1 pump each to my face and chest, and nothing to my neck. It was still uncomfortable yesterday, so after much searching on this site for a different moisturiser, I hurried down to Boots and bought some Eucerin Replenishing Face Cream (5% urea) and kept my fingers crossed all the way home that I hadn't just wasted more money!

This morning I was really disappointed as I woke up with skin more flaky than ever, I mean huge flakes, more peeling skin than flakes probably and the texture was so dry it felt awful. But I think I made it worse by having a shower. So, I was in a bad mood and felt a bit desperate. I applied the new moisturiser a couple of times, about 1/2 hr inbetween as there were still quite a few flakes left after the 1st time. And by lunch I was still looking ok! (A bit flaky but I don't expect miracles after the morning I had). I added some more on these bits, and this evening it is still looking average which I'm pleased with. So I think this moisturiser may do the trick (I hope). I might add some jojoba oil to it tonight as I'm a bit scared about the morning! (And I plan to have a quicker and slightly cooler shower!)

My neck is really p'ing me off I have to say - I'm getting new spots there and I'm too scared to start applying BP again yet as it's still quite dry. Grrrrrr......

Does anyone have any comments or experiences on the Eucerin moisturiser please? It seems to be the one recommended for UK regimen users. I was hoping to stick to the same products (i.e. Dan's stuff) but I think it would be hard for me to continue without changing the moisturiser.

DAY 18 (MON):

:D Hooray! I have normal (ish!) skin! Yesterday I applied moisturiser in the morning and evening and it was fine all day! Ok, I'm over-using exclamation marks but that really is something after the week I've had. Today I have also not had to reapply yet and it's almost evening (ok so there are a few flakes but I'm not in a position to be a perfectionist). So I'm happy again today :) (ha ha the alarm bells are ringing aren't they? Saying that is just asking for trouble - going on past experience, tomorrow will be a nightmare!)

Things which have helped overcome dryness:

1). My skin has got over the reaction to using too much BP too quickly and has normalised a bit. I plan to enjoy this for a few days more before I attempt to increase it, and when I do I'll give my skin a good week before increasing it again - it seems to take a few days for a bad reaction to occur.

2). Eucerin :wub: It didn't impress me that much the 1st application (I probably expected too much) but now I've used it a couple of days it is very moisturising and just what I needed.

3). Johoba oil - again, this didn't help that much initially, but with the new moisturiser I think it is helping a bit. I now use it in the morning to rub off flakes gently, then leave it on whilst in the shower, and I think it protects the skin from drying out a bit (I find hot water makes my skin very uncomfortable). I wash it off when cleansing my skin in the shower, then when I get out I rub about 4 drops in again. This way, my skin is protected for most of the time.

(Oh, and I'm spot treating my neck once a day with BP, not because I think this will help the spots, because I think you need fuller coverage to acheive results, but at least my skin can gradually get used to it being there).

i used that eucerin at the beginning and its the most amazing this (with a little jojoba added) for getting moisture back into your skin. i never noticed it break me out and a lot of people have had success with it, though i did hear one guy said it gave him a load of white heads. just a heads up. see how your skin does with it, you should be fine but if after a while you're still getting a couple of spots and your skin istn so dry anymore you could always give dans a try. i find its perfect for moisturising now im a way into the regimen

Hi HB :) Yes, I'm hoping that in a while I can go back to using Dan's moisturiser, as I really liked the light texture it has and I have loads left from the starter kit. Thanks for your comments!

DAY 21 (THURS):

So it's been 3 weeks... I'm really pleased with my skin at the moment :clap: Its not very dry, I have only a small number of spots appearing, and even my neck is clearing (although this may be luck because I'm still only applying a tiny amount once a day). I really hope this continues!

As I'm coming into my 4th week I think I should be increasing the amount again soon - I'm scared!! Yes I'm a wimp. It's also a bit tricky to get the precise amounts at the moment because I'm running out of gel and the pump doesn't pump out a full amount properly anymore. When my new lot arrives I'll start using a new bottle, then when I've used some I'll refill it with the rest of the previous bottle as I like to know I'm applying the BP in consistent amounts.

I have to slap myself sometimes as I've started getting critical about a couple of new spots and a slight bit of flakiness which is just stupid and ungrateful because my skin's looking good at the moment! There's just no pleasing some people ;) Seriously though, if anyone is reading this and considering giving the DKR a try, I would say give it a go because so far I'm pleased, although its still early days.

DAY 25 (MON):

3.5 weeks - time is flying! The last 3 days I have broken out morning, night, morning, night etc. It was a bit worrying as I never know when a not-too-bad breakout will carry on to a scary-must-hide-myself-from-the-world breakout. Fortunately today my skin is looking pretty good again so it was just a small setback! It has cleared quicker than normal. I hope it lasts a bit longer this time!

I'm still using 1 pump on my face - my new order arrived today so I can measure properly again, and will increase to 1.25 pumps in the next couple of days (have learned my lesson from increasing too fast!) Will probably not increase it tonight/tomorrow because I won't be able to hide from anyone tomorrow as I'm going to be busy all day so don't want to be worrying (more than usual) about my skin looking awful / dry / red / peely. What fun :confused: I'll be glad when I'm up to the proper amount and that's that.

My chest is great! (ha ha ha you know what I mean :redface: ) Am using 1.25/1.5 pumps here as it tolerates it really quite well now. This may be why I'm clearing here faster, and it seems to be lasting (fingers crossed).

My neck is not so peely, using a tiny bit only, once a day. The last breakout has cleared but I'm not sure if it's coincidence because I'm not really using very much BP there...

The Eucerin is still a life-saver, although I'm still hoping that eventually I can use Dan's moisturiser again as I like the lightness of it... one day!

DAY 29 (FRIDAY) - End of 4th week, start of 5th.

I'm only getting the odd spot now :-) Am really pleased with my progress so far, just hope it continues (my skin is temperamental and fluctuates a lot).

I'm using 1.25 pumps for my face x2 a day, 1.5 for my chest x2 a day, and just a tiny amount on my neck once a day. I still have quite dry flaky skin but the moisturiser takes care of it as long as I have it with me all day to reapply on problem areas. Ive started substituting Eucerin for Dan's at times on my chest as this gets less dry. I'm hoping that over the next few weeks my skin will adjust more to the BP and be a bit less flaky, but we'll see...

I know as I'm in my fifth week now I should be using the full amount, but it's not ready for this after the setback at the start when I used too much (oops!) I'm thinking of staying at these levels for a bit and reassess when my skin is used to it, as it still feels like this is the most my skin can take. I'm a bit less worried after reading CAKD's views on using 1.25/1.5 pumps rather than 2 and this being enough for some people. I guess I just have to see how it goes over the next few weeks. I'm so scared I'll start having big breakouts again!

Have a few big night's out planned - I am determined not to fall off the wagon with my regimen though (my evening application will be later than usual but I'm not going to skip it, hopefully this will still be ok). Just hope alcohol doesn't send my skin crazy! :wacko:

DAY 35 (THURS) - End of 5th week, start of 6th.

Almost too scared to say this, but...... I'm clear!!! :dance: Even for my temperamental skin (great one minute, a disaster the next) this is looking more promising than usual and seems to be lasting a bit longer. Am happy :D (and completely petrified it's just a dream of course...)

DAY 46 (MON) - halfway through 7th week...

Well... in case anyone has noticed I haven't posted for a few days. Why? Because after my last positive post I have been breaking out, getting flakier and just generally having a girly tantrum and throwing my toys out of the pram :)

Kept going with the regimen though and apart from one rather large unwelcome newcomer it's looking a bit better... I started AHA not long ago and I think this may have something to do with the breakout, but it could just be coincidence. Anyway, it's hard to tell what's going on at the moment so I'll give it another week or two... as always! Hopefully one day I'll reach this magical place in the future... :)

I've been re-reading the advice sections and it does clearly say expect to breakout for a month / 2 months / maybe more, so I guess there's still hope! (I was definitely not feeling like this last week tho and did not want to fill my page with pessimistic whinging ;) )