Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EarPlug

How am I getting Acne underneath my hair?

Plain and simple, I Get pimples on my head underneath my hair... It gets REALLY itchy..

Is this a normal place to get acne?

I still get them from time to time and I have mild acne due to my birth control pills. I think it's pretty normal. Acne is just plugged follicles, and there are tons of follicles on your head!

you can get acne anywhere you have hair, just don't scratch it and you may want to try a new shampoo or something

It could be your shampoo or conditioner. My scalp gets that way. When the follicles act up, I use Selson Blue shampoo. Head & Shoulders doesn't seem to work for me, but it works for a lot people. I usually skip the conditioner or use a light one, like Neutrogena, or a simple detangler.

When my scalp calms down, I go back to my regular shampoo and conditioner.

It could be your shampoo or conditioner. My scalp gets that way. When the follicles act up, I use Selson Blue shampoo. Head & Shoulders doesn't seem to work for me, but it works for a lot people. I usually skip the conditioner or use a light one, like Neutrogena, or a simple detangler.

When my scalp calms down, I go back to my regular shampoo and conditioner.

I've always suffered from scalp acne and it does not go away no matter what shampoo/conditioner I try. My main issue is that I cannot use any shampoo with a chemical smell because it usually gives me a migraine. However I did find that when I got a deep cleansing scalp massage at one salon I went to (for 30 minutes), that seemed to clear my scalp up for about a month.

If it is extremely itchy, it could be a form of folliculitis.

If it gets increasingly itchy, and none of the above suggestions work, I'd suggest getting it checked out.

Find a shampoo without SLS, SLES, SMS, alcohol, or synthetic fragrances. That could be the source of your problems. Read my sig.

I have gotten it since I went off BCP 3.5 years ago. I also color my hair, so I'd rather get shampoos and conditioners that are gentle on and preserve my hair color versus treat my scalp issues. How vain is that? :P

I have gotten it since I went off BCP 3.5 years ago. I also color my hair, so I'd rather get shampoos and conditioners that are gentle on and preserve my hair color versus treat my scalp issues. How vain is that? :P

I am totally with you there since I have highlights and somewhat dry hair. My water here is terrible so I end up with frizz if I don't use highly moisturizing shampoo and conditioners. I try to keep the conditioners off my scalp and right now I'm using a kind without any sulfates to see if that helps. The fact is that people can't see your scalp, but dried out, frizzy hair is pretty obvious.

I feel like i'm always responding to these posts with the same answer... folliculitis. Try head and shoulders or a mint/tea tree/menthol shampoo.

Rub it in good and along your hairline (even let it sit while you shower)... you will see vast improvements. I used to have the same thing and now they are much less (drastically) less frequent and tiny if I do get a bump in my hair.

Good luck.