Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stratmom

Help me to help my daughter, please!

My daughter is 12 years old and recently began having a terrible breakout of whiteheads on her forehead and the bridge of her nose. She hasn't begun her period yet, so I assume a lot of this is because of hormonal turmoil in her body! The whiteheads now cover her forehead and the bridge of her nose. It's really awful! (See my post below where I show a picture so you can see what she looks like).

I have some experience with acne, so when this first began happening (about a year ago) I had her use a gentle cleanser, and alternate using salicylic acid products and benzoly peroxide products. This helped, but the whiteheads just kept coming. It was just a few whitehads here and there. But then they started getting much worse a couple of months ago.

So I decide to take her to the dermatologist. The derm gave her some product samples (Duac and Atralin). She told her to continue to cleanse with a mild non-medicated cleanser (we use Cetaphil), use the Duac in the morning and the Atralin at night. My daughter followed her instructions perfectly, and her whiteheads got MUCH worse in a couple of weeks. The whiteheads increased to the point where they now are totally covering her forehead and the bridge of her nose. You can imagine how miserable she is. The derm is always booked up, and we won't be able to see her again for 2 weeks. When I called for advice, she said to discontinue the Atralin but keep using the Duac.

I remember when I had acne and started on prescription creams, my acne did get worse before it got better. But THIS is really awful. My daughter's face looks terrible. She has very light fair skin and is extremely concerned about scarring. And it's not exactly "acne" since it's mainly whiteheads. I never really had many whiteheads (I had big pimples) so I'm rather perplexed about how to clear them up properly.

I'm thinking of having my daughter follow the regimine outlined on this site. We have a gentle oil-free cleanser (Cetaphil), plenty of benzyl peroxide, and a good oil-free moisturizer. The benzoyl peroxide we have is 10% strength. From what I am reading, that is too strong. I will go out and try to find the Neutrogena 2.5% (or another one of the same strength).

Can anyone give me any further advice about how we should proceed? I'm thinking about getting my daugther a Zeno or ThermaClear, but I read that they don't work on whiteheads, just regular pimples.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

When I was her age, I'm 18 now, Duac worked wonders for me, but notso much later in my teens. If I were you, I would really push for accutane, because to be honest, nothing else will fully work, and speaking from experience here, she will be miserable until she grows out of it, if that ever happens, becuase all these chemicals never really properly work. And I know how vain girls can be, and it really hurts them something like this.

I would try continue with the duac for now, since it worked alright for me when I was young. And DON'T take anti-biotics, they REALLY mess you up, I got a fungal infection from taking them for acne 2 years ago, which still hasn't gone :(

And if you need any help with anything or have any questions or anything at all, just PM me, I know how bad dealing with acne be, and I'm more than eager to help.

Whoa, Accutane is really serious stuff! I don't think they'd prescribe it for a 12-year-old. I remember when that stuff first came out, my dermatologist told me that she'd only give it to me if my acne was cystic (which it wasn't). Even years later, they told me that Accutane was too heavy-duty for me.

When I was in my mid-20s and had bad acne, I took Tetracycline for several months and it worked miracles. But I don't want my kid on long-term antibiotics, especially at such a young age. In the end, birth control pills is what finally helped my skin get clear....but obviously that's not for her either, LOL.

But thanks for the advice. She eats too much sugar. I'll also suggest to her cutting down the sugar.

I think that the Duac along with the Atralin irritated her skin and the irritation made the acne worse. Her skin was all red in addition to being all broken out. Now it's just broken out. The Duac doesn't seem to be doing much for her. She's been using it for over a month.

Well, I'm not too sure about accutane, I think the side effects are over rated really. I'm using vitamin A megadosing since I can't get accutane, but it's seriously high doses (6000% RDA, now 3000% RDA) a day. It comes from natural sources, so I think it isn't that dangerous, fingers crossed.

Anyway, wouldn't recommend that to her, that's something she should decide on herself when she's older, because it's REALLY risky :)

I would definately advise her to cut down on sugar. Since I did a couple of weeks ago, my skin has gotten much better, and I feel I have more energy.

Sorry for being a bit naieve here, but why can't a 12 year old take BCP? I know she won't need the contraception part of it, but surely it could benefit her skin anyway?

A 12-year-old girl who hasn't even begun menstruating yet cannot take birth control pills! It would seriously mess up her body. No doctor would ever prescribe it! :doh:

Thats happend to me when starting some new stuff from the Doctor. Once a really bad case of small pimples covering forhead after one week on new antibiotic. When I went to Derm (this was in Texas) they did something I never had done before and it helped clear up the ones on forehead really fast. The nurse took a small piece of dry ice wrapped in gauze dipped it in rubbing alchohol and quickly swept it across forehead and nose a few times. They cleared up within a few days but there was alot of peeling for a few days. When I moved back to Mn the Derm wanted to know what type of treaments I had and I mentioned this one, he said it was very old school....But it worked! Now I don't recommend going out to buy dry ice and doing this, you could get a really bad burn from dry ice. Just thought I would mention.l

Hi

I know a lot about your daughters condition since I also have been dealing with the same kind of acne on my forehead(it is pretty much the only acne I get in my face). I tried a benzoyl peroxide and all that stuff, but after a while I came to realize that I probably got some kind of folliculites.

Check out these pictures(page 3) to see if what your daughter got looks like that. if you think that is what she got then just post in this thread or send me a message to get some tips on what to use for this on the forehead.

Hi

I know a lot about your daughters condition since I also have been dealing with the same kind of acne on my forehead(it is pretty much the only acne I get in my face). I tried a benzoyl peroxide and all that stuff, but after a while I came to realize that I probably got some kind of folliculites.

Check out these pictures(page 3) to see if what your daughter got looks like that. if you think that is what she got then just post in this thread or send me a message to get some tips on what to use for this on the forehead.

I tried benzoyle peroxide on my face and it made me much worse. Isnt that an ingredient in DUAC..maybe you could try one small area with DUAC and another area with something else.

If she has folliculitis maybe try using zinc like washing with head and shoulders. That totally cleared up my scalp acne. I use calamine instead of benzoyl.

Hi

I tried benzoyle peroxide on my face and it made me much worse. Isnt that an ingredient in DUAC..maybe you could try one small area with DUAC and another area with something else.

If she has folliculitis maybe try using zinc like washing with head and shoulders. That totally cleared up my scalp acne. I use calamine instead of benzoyl.

I should add I was on accutane twice. The first time when I was in middle school and it was a life saver. Totally cleared up my skin. And I cant imagine what my skin would look like without it.

The acne stayed away for about a year then I went on it again and it sayed away for several years but came back..but I am sure not as bad as without it.

I am using bactrim now and the dr. gave me clidomycin but that gave me a lumpy forehead with whiteheads so I discontinued that.

I use azelex, bactrim, calamine on spots and head and shoulders.

Yes, that is exactly what is covering my daughter's forehead and the bridge of her nose. It's more like whiteheads (comadones) than actual pimples.

Hi

Check out (page 3) to see if what your daughter got looks like that. if you think that is what she got then just post in this thread or send me a message to get some tips on what to use for this on the forehead.

Yes, that is exactly what is covering my daughter's forehead and the bridge of her nose. It's more like whiteheads (comadones) than actual pimples.

If it indeed is some sort folliculitis, probably Pityrosporum Folliculitis, then you should start by reading these two topics:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Pityrospo...is--t88740.html

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Small-bum...us-t164964.html

Things you could try is cleansing with f.ex ZNP bar(great) or nizoral shampoo and then apply Vivant Mandelic Acid serum or manuka oil/tea tree oil after the shower. These products definetely won't make the condition worse if it's acne, but if it is Pityrosporum Folliculitis these products will probably work great. There is a lot of other great tips in the two thread I linked to..

Be ready for an initial breakout when using Mandelic Acid. My initial breakout started like three days after I started using it and continued for about a week. It was mostly whiteheads coming to the surface.

I am using bactrim now and the dr. gave me clidomycin but that gave me a lumpy forehead with whiteheads so I discontinued that.

Be aware that acne products like Antibiotics and Benzoyl Peroxide will make most cases of Pityrosporum Folliculitis worse bacause it only kills bacteria and not the Malassezia furfur yeast.

Hi! Please visit the Nutrition and Holistic Health section of the forum. You are completely right about cutting down on sugar, as sugar has an immense effect on hormones!

If she were to cut out the sugar and processed carbs like bread and pasta (assuming she eats that) as well as dairy, I'm sure she would benefit.

This morning I took a photo of my daughter's forehead so you can see for yourself.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2748/acnecu2jl1.jpg

Do you think this is acne or folliculitus caused by fungus?

I want to add, she had been treated for foot fungus (athlete's foot) last year (topical cream, not oral). I'm always yelling at her to shower more often (she showers twice a week and is very lazy about it). I told her that keeping her hair clean will help keep her face clear. But most of the time she wears her hair back in a ponytail, so at least it's not in her face.

After reading most of the thread on PF, I also want to add that my daugther's skin did get worse after she took some antibiotics (Amoxicillin) for a sinus infection last month. Not sure if it's just a coincidence, because she started the Derm's acne treatment at the same time.

I appreciate any and all opinions.

Thank you!

post-78047-1213831876_thumb.jpg

post-78047-1213831876_thumb.jpg

I went out today and found the Neutrogena On The Spot at my local Longs drugstore. I'm crossing my fingers that Dan's regimen will work for her! I'll let you guys know how it's going in about a week. In the mean time, if anyone wants to chime into this thread, be my guest -- especially if you think that her problem might be folliculitis and not acne. When I look at her photo so enlarged, it seems to me that it's acne (mainly whiteheads) and clogged pores.

Your daughters acne looks exactly like teenage acne, but maybe a little more in depth.

Whiteheads are OK. They aren't severe signs.

Anyways, my acne looked exactly like hers when I was her age. I started the DKR and now I'm practically clear.

This morning I took a photo of my daughter's forehead so you can see for yourself.

I want to add, she had been treated for foot fungus (athlete's foot) last year (topical cream, not oral). I'm always yelling at her to shower more often (she showers twice a week and is very lazy about it). I told her that keeping her hair clean will help keep her face clear. But most of the time she wears her hair back in a ponytail, so at least it's not in her face.

After reading most of the thread on PF, I also want to add that my daugther's skin did get worse after she took some antibiotics (Amoxicillin) for a sinus infection last month. Not sure if it's just a coincidence, because she started the Derm's acne treatment at the same time.

Thank you!

I woulnd't be too sure. Ask her if it's itchy, if it is, I'd put my money on it being folliculitis.

this looks like the type of acne shell outgrow in a couple months--a year. please dont do anything drastic and mess her up for life. topicals should do the trick. i think you should ask her doctor what to do, not a dermatolgist, i dont trust them. doctors usually help more than dermatologists so try yours. good luck!! your kid is going to be fine =)

This post makes me upset because my sister is going through the same thing, and its all because of the horrible Clean and Clear and Neutrogena junk she is using.

If you want to clear up her skin stop putting all that junk on her face! She is 12 years old! Stop caking on the BP and SA and let her skin naturally adjust to the new hormones. Whiteheads are caused mainly by irritation and all those products are irritants.

Don't fall for all the hype, "acne fighting products" just make your skin worse and force you to get on prescription drugs to get ride of the mess the over the counter products cause.

The best advice I can give you, is have your daughter wash 1 TIME per day with Johnson's Head-to-Toe body wash (most gentle cleanser, way better than cetaphil) and only use a moisturizer if she absolutely has to, I would recommend Cerave moisturizing lotion.

You may ignore my advice because it goes against everything that has been force fed by society on TV, in magazines, etc, but let me just say I have not washed my face with anything other than water for the past 3 months and my skin is flawless, this after suffering through 5 years of fighting acne with everything under the sun. I finally learned that "less is more" in terms of fighting acne.

Give it 2 months on the regimen I listed above and see what happens, or keep using that drugstore garbage and brace yourself for years of bad skin and lots of dermatologist visits.

Holistic holistic holistic. I know its been said before but I can't emphasize it enough. I started getting whiteheads on my forehead at age 11/12 right before I got my period and now I'm 24, THREE TIME accutane user (among all the other topicals from various derms over the years). My skin is finally clearing and glowing, not because of anything from derms but from lots of diet experimentation. Dairy and sugar cause acne for alot of users here, and also non-organic meat has hormones which definitely can have a negative effect. Alot of people are gluten intolerant and don't know it.

Check out the pinned threads in the holistic, and try cutting way back on sugar and I'll bet her skin will improve drastically within a few weeks. Once whiteheads form they take forever to go away, but at least w/ diet you can possibly prevent more from occuring. Possibly.

Research, experiment, try it and GOOD LUCK.

Thank you!

Hi Stratmom, you are getting alot of advice out there. I agree with White Fox and to try to get the shampoo that was reccommended first and foremost. That makes a big difference, she has to wash her hair more often than twice a week, no doubt. Since it goes to scalp and not going all over, just forehead and nose, wonder if it that is the issue. I would say if you can get her to a derm, please do, and make sure they listen to what you are saying about everything she has used, been prescribed, etc.

Nutrition is an issue, I am sure, no sugar, drink water, etc. Hard to change a 12 yr olds diet! Many try the holistic path - but a combo of the 2 worlds sometimes is best for many.

Good luck!

I'm only 13, so I don't have a ton of experience with acne, but since I'm close to her age I guess I could give some advice.

Cutting out sugar and dairy did nothing for me. I would definitely recommend staying away from sugary drinks. I drink Club Soda - its fizzy like a soda but doesn't have sugar in it. If I'm not drink that I'll drink Orange Juice or Water.

Definitely urge her to shower more often. I shower every morning and then I wash my face at night (I wear makeup so the main purpose is to get rid of the makeup).

Currently I'm taking an oral medication called Doxycycline. I've only been on it for a few days so I can't tell if there is going to be any results.

Topically I'm used Clean & Clear Advantage acne control moisturizer. I like it... it makes my face feel cool and soft.

I am also using Mederma on a scar I just recently got on my chin. I've had success with it on red marks so I'm hoping it works with scars.

I know exactly what your daughter is going through. There aren't words to describe how bad it is. I would recommend NOT giving her makeup. Makeup really made my face worse and once you start using it you can't stop because you develop a fear of being seen without makeup.

I live everyday with this pain and I know how bad it is. I wish I had a mom like you, you seem open and willing to talk about acne. That's exactly what I need right now, but I'm too embarassed to because my mom will make it embarassing. I guess that's why I'm on here. =/

I'm always yelling at her to shower more often (she showers twice a week and is very lazy about it).

Well, there's you problem, ma'am.

:rolleyes:

Ps: That is a little gross.