Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaley

How are you letting acne affect you?

I hate the constant obsession of wanting perfect skin. Completely analyzing eveyone's faces, look for that one little pimple just so you can get pleasure of saying to yourself "ah hah! their face isn't perfect! they are well on their way to being like me!"

Getting depressed when you watch tv because their faces are so flawless.

Reading a book and realizing that could never happen to you because you would never venture out just because of acne.

Afraid to look in mirrors, terrified that your going to go into a mental breakdown of depression.

Or just the opposite, obsessing over looking in the mirror, analyzing every freaking flaw on your face.

I hate acne!

What other ways has it affected you? It seems like everything I do I find a way to relate it to acne... no matter what!

Yep I love looking at other people who have ugly skin. And I hate mirrors as I know one glance could send my mood down in a hurry. White light is dreadful

Although I have definitely moderated my behaviour because of acne, I try not to let it influence me too much. I went out last night to a club even though my skin was bad, but I still had a great time as i had all my friends around me and just got pretty drunk. So long as there are people to support you, i don't think it really matters if you have acne or not, as they see past your skin to the personality that shines through.

Kaley - What you described there, is exactly what I've been doing the past month.

I'm pretty sure if I keep doing this I'm gonna have a mental breakdown or something....

Put it this way, I went on roaccutane, skin cleared up. Got bumped with a mates watch causing a scar on my face and got bitten on the face by a stupid girl. Luck much?

These have caused me a couple scars which I'm really depressed about... From an outgoing confident person 5 weeks ago to a self concious pissed off angry person now.

I have the urge to pick at my skin alot

I worry about my skin alot.

I want it to be clear D:

Other then that when I'm usually out with people I tend not to think about it alot.

I used to have an impeccable confidence before I got acne a few months ago. People liked being around me at work and socially because of my confidence. Everything in my life seemed perfect at almost 30 years old. Now, I don't want to go out. I sit at home and read instead of making plans with friends. I smile less. I feel self conscious when people look at me when I used to love when people looked at me. It makes me irritable and short with people. My sense of adventure is gone. This has been very humbling. I'm sure a few of the envious are glad to see me go through this. Perhaps, it makes me more human to others. But, I think it negatively impacts more than me. People miss the "old me." I had an effect. My optimism was once contagious and now is gone. It's now affecting other sources of my pride too. I am giving up. I'm giving in. I'm letting it defeat me. I was once considered a perfectionist. I am now just letting everything go. I've gained 6 pounds (I've weighed the same for 15 years), I stopped training hard in my sport, I stopped keeping my house orderly, I stopped dressing nice when I leave the house... I keep thinking, how could my face just literally change over night after 29 years? I rememebr the first break out months ago thinking it was just some kind of fluke. I must have eaten something bad or had a an allergic reaction. It will go away. It always goes away. But, for each blemish that goes away another arrives in it's place each leaving behind a nice red mark as a constant reminder of it's existence. I have watched my once flawless cheeks become covered with one red spot after another until my face transformed into something I no longer recognize in the course of 4 months. I try not to let it affect me. I have so many other things to be happy for. But, I've prided myself on flawless skin for so many years. Everything in my life that I did not like, I have changed. I grew up poor and worked really hard to get through school on my own and have a good career. I was an overweight child and began running as a teenager and have continued running for nearly 15 years. I always take charge and I always overcome every obstacle set in front of me. I have always been able to change things. Now, I feel at the mercy of a dermatologist and whatever drugs are prescribed. I can't control it. I feel powerless against it. Powerless is something I have never felt.

I used to have an impeccable confidence before I got acne a few months ago. People liked being around me at work and socially because of my confidence. Everything in my life seemed perfect at almost 30 years old. Now, I don't want to go out. I sit at home and read instead of making plans with friends. I smile less. I feel self conscious when people look at me when I used to love when people looked at me. It makes me irritable and short with people. My sense of adventure is gone. This has been very humbling. I'm sure a few of the envious are glad to see me go through this. Perhaps, it makes me more human to others. But, I think it negatively impacts more than me. People miss the "old me." I had an effect. My optimism was once contagious and now is gone. It's now affecting other sources of my pride too. I am giving up. I'm giving in. I'm letting it defeat me. I was once considered a perfectionist. I am now just letting everything go. I've gained 6 pounds (I've weighed the same for 15 years), I stopped training hard in my sport, I stopped keeping my house orderly, I stopped dressing nice when I leave the house... I keep thinking, how could my face just literally change over night after 29 years? I rememebr the first break out months ago thinking it was just some kind of fluke. I must have eaten something bad or had a an allergic reaction. It will go away. It always goes away. But, for each blemish that goes away another arrives in it's place each leaving behind a nice red mark as a constant reminder of it's existence. I have watched my once flawless cheeks become covered with one red spot after another until my face transformed into something I no longer recognize in the course of 4 months. I try not to let it affect me. I have so many other things to be happy for. But, I've prided myself on flawless skin for so many years. Everything in my life that I did not like, I have changed. I grew up poor and worked really hard to get through school on my own and have a good career. I was an overweight child and began running as a teenager and have continued running for nearly 15 years. I always take charge and I always overcome every obstacle set in front of me. I have always been able to change things. Now, I feel at the mercy of a dermatologist and whatever drugs are prescribed. I can't control it. I feel powerless against it. Powerless is something I have never felt.

Please, do not let acne defeat you. I know it's difficult but truthfully, most of it is in your head. Adult onset acne has the potential to destroy a person's confidence, especially if you've been clear all your life. It can be traumatizing because it comes on so fast and severe. Just hang in there and keep fighting because you'll find something that works and everything will be back to the way it was. And of course make sure you've exhausted all of your options before you even consider giving up.

I've stopped going out without makeup on, unless it's just to run in and grab something at the gas station and even then I wear HUGE sunglasses when I go into the store.

If I am seen without my makeup by people who usually see me with it, I always feel like everyone is looking at me and thinking, "Wow, she looks busted."

I have literally failed classes due to missing school for too many "ugly days." I won't leave my house if I can't successfully cover everything with makeup.

There are times when it's been so bad that I just looked in the mirror and cried for hours because I thought the guy I was dating would break up with me if he saw my skin in such bad shape.

Acne has held me back from a lot of things in life, and the worst thing is, it's only because I let it.

I'm with you guys. My confidence is so low.

I look at models and stunning flawless friends and feel more horrible ...

i cry sometimes...my boyfriend thinks i dont see the "real me"

I just don't know. being ridiculed since elementery school on up; and than dealing w/ it just takes a toll all these years

(jr. in college now)

I used to be like you, obsessing over my skin, but over time I worry about it less and less. Even when I get pimples now (for instance I have one on my temple and one on my jaw line...thanks hormones), I don't let it get to me. No one stares at your face like you do.

My confidence is just not as high as others. Its really hard because I go to a really small high school and most people don't have acne as bad as me. Well, I don't have really really bad acne. I have a lot of red small bumps and whiteheads, but it's mostly the redness on my cheeks that bother me.

But I kinda already accepted the fact that my complextion will never be great. I have a great personality, which is what counts the most. All boys in highschool are immature and only care about looks and stuff and I know that later on in my life, I'll find me a guy that will love me for who I am.

I noticed how much less I care now when I get breakouts - it's kind of like, OH, WELL WHAT DID YOU EXPECT.

That is exactly what's been going through my mind lately - usually my skin is pretty clear, but lately I can't fucking win with it. It gets me down when I'm looking in the mirror, so I've been trying to avoid mirrors for the last few weeks. And when I can't avoid it I just try to roll my eyes and go "You have acne. Yep. Whoopee fucking doo. That's nothing new."

My family hates me now b/c of my obsession with acne. I don't blame them. I used to be beautiful, outgoing, funny, social, and did I mention beautiful? Now I'm this torn, depressed, nobody who can't look in a mirror, take a picture of herself, or go out in public w/o crying her face off. It pains me to see them trying so hard to get me to see the beauty in myself when all I can offer them is excuse after excuse as to why I CANNOT and WILL NOT leave the house. It's just so hard for me to see myself as being beautiful on the inside, when all I can see in the mirror is my ugly, deformed exterior. I keep praying that one day this will all go away, and I'll be back to my old self again. But then a cold realization comes to me as I realize I'll never be the same person I was before I had acne. And I can't get over that fact. I'm going to miss the old me...

I'm glad I made this board. I always feel alone... ALWAYS.

KohKane: I pick too, I'm trying to stop. Its just so damn hard sometimes.

Everyskyisblue__: I was just looking at pictures, I was living my life without makeup. I don't even let my family see me without for long periods of time. I wish I could live my life without being covered up.

Natalie_xoxo: In the morning when I'm putting my makeup on I often just sit down on the ground and cry when I know I can't cover something up.

xXGirlAnachronismXx: My dad is always making comments to me about my face. He knows I'm self-consious about it. My mom hates that she has to drive me home to re-cover it up.

Acne freaking sucks. I'm going on vacation tomorrow. Who knows if I'll be able to enjoy myself like I did before acne. UGHHHHHHHHHHH. This is my first vacation where I've actually had acne to the point where I don't want anyone to see me without makeup. I'm not going to have the time to spend an hour putting makeup on my skin. AH!

I've stopped going out without makeup on, unless it's just to run in and grab something at the gas station and even then I wear HUGE sunglasses when I go into the store.

If I am seen without my makeup by people who usually see me with it, I always feel like everyone is looking at me and thinking, "Wow, she looks busted."

I have literally failed classes due to missing school for too many "ugly days." I won't leave my house if I can't successfully cover everything with makeup.

There are times when it's been so bad that I just looked in the mirror and cried for hours because I thought the guy I was dating would break up with me if he saw my skin in such bad shape.

Acne has held me back from a lot of things in life, and the worst thing is, it's only because I let it.

THAT HOW I FEEL WHEN I HAVE A BF...AND I ALWAYS WEAR POWDER TO COVER IT....AND CONSTANTLY LOOKING AT TEH MIRROR

well usually i am able to suppress it for a few weeks... but it always all comes out in a burst like right now and im so frustrated and angry about it i dont even know what to do. i dont care about perfect skin but why do we have to have some of the worst?

Guest kiwikali

it's strange, before i went on this site, i always thought that i was the only one who felt like this. it's nice to know that i am not alone.

In every way possible. Doing nothing 4 summer because of it. But now finally gonna take time 2 flip it and really fin what worx 4 me.