Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
got2be

Getting a Job

Do you believe that some employers will not hire you because of your acne??

I'm going for a job interview tommorow and i'm afraid that they won't hire me because of it..

But i've decided to go in there confidently and smiling, and pretend that i don't have acne.

Ughhhh. I have to get a job soon, and I'm dreading it. Not just because of the interview, but because having a job means I'll have to be out there... You know... Where everybody will be able to see my acne.

I know I shouldn't care that much... but I do... : (

i thought about this the other day! the job i applied for is like an office junior, filing things away,answering phones,sweeeeeeeet. anyways,on the application thingy it said amongst other things 'the candidate must be of an acceptable level of appearance' and i thought what the hell does that mean! what is considered acceptable and what isnt. i dont really have bad acne anymore at all (thankfully) but what if they say 'nah,you've got an overall bad skintone and some scars up by your hairline..........UNACCEPTABLE!' i'l cry my eyes out! hopefully it means just generally dresses acceptable,doesnt have piercings ALL over the face and tattooes covering theyre entire neck or something..........what if it isnt

Take a look at it from the employer's perspective.

Case #1- Guy or Girl who has little/moderate/severe acne. Amazing resume. Great worker. Great Personality. Employer knows that they can count on you to get the job done despite the fact that the person is suffering from acne.

Case #2- Guy or girl who has the clearest face, acne-free. Face Glowing. Beautiful skin tone. Horrible worker. Worst Personality. Employer knows that they can't count on the person to get...anything done.

Summary - The employer would definitely take the person more suitable (case #1).

Take a look at it from the employer's perspective.

Case #1- Guy or Girl who has little/moderate/severe acne. Amazing resume. Great worker. Great Personality. Employer knows that they can count on you to get the job done despite the fact that the person is suffering from acne.

Case #2- Guy or girl who has the clearest face, acne-free. Face Glowing. Beautiful skin tone. Horrible worker. Worst Personality. Employer knows that they can't count on the person to get...anything done.

Summary - The employer would definitely take the person more suitable (case #1).

Ah...yes. But what if both workers were case #1, good candidates, except one with acne and one without. Then who would they choose?

Unfortunately, I have run into this type of discrimination before. It definitely sucks. The good news is that there are so many jobs out there. If you don't get the job, you just have to keep applying for more until something sticks. It's really not that different then not getting picked for a million other stupid reasons they come up with.