Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cupcake_19

Birth Control.. HOW do you decide?? Please helppp

Hey everyone,

I'm considering going on birth control since I'm breaking out really bad for no reason, I've tried everything and it wont go away, I'm beginning to think it's hormonal since I'm getting cystic pimpes which i rarely ever got before...

anyways I was wondering if you guys can help me decide which pill to go on!! PLEASE...!

I've never been on BC except ONCE. i've tried yasmin last year for about 3 months and it was the WORST thing i've ever done!!! It made me break out abnormally and severely I had to stop. If yasmin didn't work, does anyone know what should be safer to try?

I was thinking of:

-Diane-35 (but i've heard it's dangerous, dont know why...)

-Ortho tricyclen ... (but i dont know if i should go on Ortho LO or not)

-Alesse... ( i know it's not anti androgen but it's approved in canada for acne even tho it's high in androgen and everyone i know is on alesse and have clear skin.. ? hmm)

-or even Yaz (or is this a bad idea since Yasmin did not work on me..?)

PLEASE help, it would really be appreciated since Yasmin totally screwed me and now i'm scared and I dont know what to take.

I would suggest sticking with a birth control pill for more than a couple months before giving up. Pretty much any new birth control will cause your skin to break out during the first few months. I'd try staying on Yasmin until the 5-6 month mark before trying a new one.

I don't know which one you should use, but I used Ortho Tricyclen Lo and it did wonders for my skin. But I agree with peachy, you need to stick with it for more than a few months. I didn't start noticing real results until 5 months after I started taking it.

I third the people who say you need to stick with it at least 6 months. I just went through a period where I had to switch several times and my face looked awful until very recently.

Generally, the lower dose you try, the less likely you are to have some side effects like weight gain. Also, if you tend to get hormonal headaches, lower dose, single phase pills tend to be the best. I think Yaz is great for that because you have less off-pill days. When I took a pill with levonorgestrel, it tended to do less for my acne than what I'm on now. I would actually get breakouts in weird places everytime I started a pack.

Thanks everyone for your input

I tried Yasmin for about 3 months but I knew it just wasn't right for me regardless if i stick with it for 6 months or not. I had mild acne before Yasmin and after Yasmin it turn ugly and severe. I never/rarely ever got cysts on my face and Yasmin made me break out in in a crazy amount of cysts. I started balling my eyes out every day because I was soo upset and depressed, I just couldnt keep doing that to my face.

Anyone else ... Alesse, Ortho-lo ect. advice/recommendations?

Anyone on Diane?

I'm on Yasmin now and I think it'll work for me, hopefully. But if that didn't work I'd say ortho-tricyclin lo. I think when I was on that it made my skin a bit better.. it's hard to know though because I used to get my pills from Planned Parenthood and they would just give me whatever they had usually :doh: so I was never on anything for longer than 3 months.. but it was free and I love them otherwise ;) I have to warn NOT ALESSE. I was on that for a month and around my period got the worse hormonal breakout I'd EVER seen. I'm now going to a new derm who really specializes in acne and has amazing success clearing people's skin and they told me Alesse can actually cause acne. soo I'd say stay away from the low estrogen pills.

I'm on Yasmin now and I think it'll work for me, hopefully. But if that didn't work I'd say ortho-tricyclin lo. I think when I was on that it made my skin a bit better.. it's hard to know though because I used to get my pills from Planned Parenthood and they would just give me whatever they had usually :doh: so I was never on anything for longer than 3 months.. but it was free and I love them otherwise ;) I have to warn NOT ALESSE. I was on that for a month and around my period got the worse hormonal breakout I'd EVER seen. I'm now going to a new derm who really specializes in acne and has amazing success clearing people's skin and they told me Alesse can actually cause acne. soo I'd say stay away from the low estrogen pills.

Actually it's not the dose of estrogen but the type of progesterone. Levonorgestrel is the worst type of acne. I went on the mini-pill for a month and used a regular BCP with it in it and both gave me rather bad breakouts. Low-dose pills can work fine and tend to have fewer side effects overall than higher dose pills.

Actually it's not the dose of estrogen but the type of progesterone. Levonorgestrel is the worst type of acne. I went on the mini-pill for a month and used a regular BCP with it in it and both gave me rather bad breakouts. Low-dose pills can work fine and tend to have fewer side effects overall than higher dose pills.

This is true. They all use the same estrogen, although the amount differs.

And there's a thread in which people have posted lists of BCPs, the estrogen amounts and progestin types and how androgenic/anti-androgenic they might be.

I'll try to find it and bump it again. I don't see why we can't get it pinned so people can refer to it and keep it updated. Do we not have a moderator here?

Hi there ladies

I've been on Diane 35 for about 4 months now - still not seeing any real improvements (but could be a result of IB from retin A). However, the only side effect I've had is enlarged breasts (not really upset about :) and slight weight gain

Diane-35 is a 'strong' contraceptive pill but is supposed to have really good anti-androgenic effects and thus helps a lot of people with acne.

Im not really sure about other BCs but I wouldnt try Yaz if Yasmine hasnt worked for u - they're essentially the same thing

I do agree with everyone else, judge after 6 months or so

Best of luck!