Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ewok

Dealing with emotional stress/pain

Just wondering what methods everybody else is using to deal with emotional pain/stress whether it be from acne or just life in general. I recently started cutting and it does provide some relief. Anyway, just wondering how others cope.

I find that having an animal around to cuddle with, like a cat or a dog, can help a lot. They're none judgmental and will love you no matter what.

I think about how things could be worse for me and I usually find someone to talk to or watch something or listen to music. Normal boring stuff like that.

Just wondering what methods everybody else is using to deal with emotional pain/stress whether it be from acne or just life in general. I recently started cutting and it does provide some relief. Anyway, just wondering how others cope.

I'm seriously unable to see how cutting yourself could benefit or help in any way. In my eyes it's completely retarded, and doesn't make any sense at all. Physical pain > emotional pain? Explain this to me. Please.

If you're cutting yourself, you might want to go see a counselor or something. That's serious stuff.

Please dont cut yourself, it doesnt solve anything.

you could :

- Read self help books, they are so awesome. Try Anthony robbins esp. ( PM me if you need some related stuff seriously)

- Watch Funny videos/movies (I challenge you to watch Funny videos for 1/2 an hour a day and you will cure the depression within two weeks). just click on this link and watch the video. Call me a Liar if it doesnt make you crack a smile. then check out all the related videos the column next to it. half an hour of this and you will be jumping up and down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdh56fShns&NR=1

- Discuss the root cause with other people ( who will understand)

- STOP listening to Depressing songs (no radiohead and other such depressing crap for now)

- Keep a journal about how you are feeling/problems. When you write your problems you kind of dissociate from them. you become more aware of your thought process and how faulty logic is making you feel miserable.

- Exercise 1/2 hour a day- leads to release of feel good chemicals called 'endorphins'

- Try getting some perspective. You could teleport your mind 2 years into the future for eg. From that future reference point think about the thing that is causing you pain. Ask questions about it. Will it matter at that time? Does it even have any effect on 'future you' ? Did it do you some good? Was there some silver lining? You will probably feel a little stupid and smile that you got so hung up on something so trivial (when viewed with a broader/future perspective)

- Try helping someone who is in an even worse condition. Seriously I have personally felt amazing transformation after having helped someone really needy even though I was feeling stuck up.

- Play, Dance, Run without a care ( almost same as Exercise). God only knows why we stop playing when we grow up. Stupid Adults. Children are so wise!

- Get a haircut, do a little shopping, get a pedicure, manicure (I am a male btw :D) change something significant about the way you look. You will feel more confident and less depressed.

- Shun the company of depressing people - you need to do this for your own good temporarily.

- Travel - give yourself a break, go mingle with an entirely different group of people and you will almost forget your troubles.

- Watch Sunrise (not sunset!). Soak the early morning sun (within two hours of sunrise), you will be amazed at how much better you will feel for a long time after this. A sureshot cure for depression. A rising Sun brings a message of hope and optimism.

- Read this post again and take it seriously this time for god's sake. :D It took me 20 friggin minutes to type this shit out and I have an important exam tomorrow. If I dont get an A+ on that I am probably going to have to do a bunch of these things myself. :boohoo:

- Read my signature if you will.

- just embrace your Awesomeness!

I strongly suggest you do the funny video and exercise/activity seriously.

K

PS: I know, I know. I am so kind! . :) Have always been...

Please dont cut yourself, it doesnt solve anything.

you could....

- STOP listening to Depressing songs (no radiohead and other such depressing crap for now)

PS: I know, I know. I am so kind! . :) Have always been...

I agree, alot of very good advice. Apart from the one part; stop listening to Radiohead? :think: Never! Their stuff actually cheers me up ! :dance:

that is so funny i just started listening to radiohead for the first time like 3 days ago, and i have to say that stuff is depressing. but i fully suggest music. ive got 8582 songs on my winamp.

but i fully suggest music. ive got 8582 songs on my winamp.

The RIAA should be knocking at your house any moment now... If I were you, I would watch where you post that kind of information. There's probably some guy on this board who's with the RIAA, and has acne... lol jk

Yea, I just listen to music when I'm feeling down, or I just watch a funny movie.

I have suffered with moderate acne since I was 14.

It might sound weird, but I think the emotional damage & stress of acne has given me enormous drive in life, which I do not think I'd have had if I had clear skin.

I remember just before I went to college, I swore to myself that I would work harder, be more successful and of course date all the pretty girls - regardless of acne.

It started out of spite for all those who looked down on me for my condition, but also part of me could not let something like this ruin my potential. I found that if I go around with a "I don't give a f*** attitude", people have a tendency to look past it. At first I thought I was only fooling myself, but later on I realized that if my opinion of myself is high, other people start to hold me in the same regard.

I've got to tell you, the above mindset has really made a huge difference in my life. Yeah, I have my shitty days, but overall, even though I hate acne - it has made me a much more better and stronger person. I have a better job than my peers, live in a better locale and yes date a pretty gal too :)

Keep your head up and stay strong! Our own worst enemy is often ourselves.

but i fully suggest music. ive got 8582 songs on my winamp.

The RIAA should be knocking at your house any moment now... If I were you, I would watch where you post that kind of information. There's probably some guy on this board who's with the RIAA, and has acne... lol jk

Yea, I just listen to music when I'm feeling down, or I just watch a funny movie.

that would be fucking hilarious, having someone kick down my door with a shitload of acne saying "guess what?" :lol:

To me, cutting is so amateur. This may sound dumb, but as a former cutter, I know that there are better ways to deal with stuff. And actually, after a while I noticed that when I cut, no stress was even relieved, I was just making it all up in my mind.

Try meditating, it's great.

Spoil yourself with all kinds of new clothing, new hairstyle and such. It helps - trust me.

Or go out with your friends for a drink or something. Watch a movie, have fun. It takes your mind off things.

And don't cut yourself. That is serious and dangerous.

Learn something new or take a college course. I like to keep my mind working at all times. Keeps me busy and focused on improving my life rather than dwelling on it.

Whatever you do, DON'T CUT! It is very dangerous. Listen to music, cuddle an animal, spend time with family or friends, watch a funny movie or t.v. show, write in a journal, find a new hobby or interest. There are so many different ways to cope.

to be brutally honest, i cut myself everyday. other than that, music, cigarettes and alcohol...

We're so alike dude. Cept I burn myself instead of cut, is easier and leaves a cooler scar.

Guided meditation (investigate you pain, dont run from it, dont try and mask it) writing, carving wood (i have the coolest walking stick ever), learn to do something new

i dont understand people who cut, i mean, i think its because ive never ever felt like i wanted to cause myself harm, and ive known people who do it, and i dont understand it. i mean, i think i understand the motivation, as an outlet for how you are feeling, and maybe its about control too, but i still dont undestand it. is it a self-loathing issue? or just when you are emotionally hurting, its a way of cutting out the pain?.

anyway, everyone who does should seek help. there's an issue there that needs to be dealed with. there are more effective and safer ways to deal with emotional stress/pain, etc.

anyway, for me, if im feeling stressed emotionally or through stress or am anxious, or feeling generally low, i listen to music, happy postitive music, i turn it up high as it goes, and i dance around in my room singing at the top of my voice lol. it helps my mood most times-obviously short term-but it helps me cope with the pressure i feel. i also will watch a happy movie, sit down and read a book, ring a friend, go out for a walk with the dog, deep breathing, trying to relax. writing everything down that is troubling me-and trying to see how i can change things or solve problems. ive went to self-help before (for anxiety) and it was really helpful. meditation is something that interests me. i want to start doing that often. exercising is also good ive found, makes you feel good after and like you've achieved something.

if there are serious problems, seek professional help and advice. dont suffer in silence

To explain cutting:

I am a recovering SI as well. I started at 13, and my last cut was 6 years ago, at 21. I'm very proud of this, it was not easy to let that behavior go. At 15, in and out of psychiatric wards, I was always the most cut up person on the unit.

1) There is a biological reaction to a wound. Your body immediatly, upon realizing there is an open wound on the body, rushes white and red blood cells to the spot, as well as releasing ADRENALINE, SERATONINE, and small levels of DOPAMINE. These are the body's "naturual pain killers", nature's own optiates. Normally, we are too busy cursing about getting the wound to notice the flood of chemicals. But when the wound is done on purpose, it allows the space to actually sit back and feel the chemicals. This is why so many of us feel calmer after cutting.

This is why, after I stopped cutting, learning how to deal with anger (the emotion that most oft prompted cutting) became an urgent issue, one that I still have difficulty with.

2) It got very difficult to prove to the outside world that I was being abused at home. My parents left no marks, so in a desperate attempt to get someone to listen, I cut. It's very hard to deny that someone is in serious pain if they are willing to wound thier own skin for it.

3) The behavior served it's purpose. It allowed me to get attention and help, and allowed a release of anger that probably saved my life at the time. I don't regret it. I needed a crutch and that was it. I could not - at the risk of worsening the abuse at home - release those emotions any other way.

But it took several years AFTER I was out of the situations that called for such extreme measures before I felt safe enough to give it up. But give it up eventually, I did.

I commend anyone who has fought this and everyday, chooses to experience life in a way that doesn't bleed. We are veterans of sorts. I had to learn that my body was NOT simply a piece of meat (as I had been taught as a child). At first, that was very difficult, too. I was confused as to why people thought cutting was wrong - it's just meat, I'd say. Just skin. Nothing special. Nothing important.

Over the years of therapy, self help, and crying and screaming and unsent letters....eventually, I understood. That skin is ME, and I AM important.

My husband (who is quite normal) is very squeamish about this subject. Weak stomach, I guess. It's nice to hear others talking about it.

I am 27 now, and anymore my reactions to stress include anything from crying to furiously cleaning my house. This isn't to say that the urge to cut doesn't hit once in a while, but anymore, I recognize who I am - and that's a person who doesn't deserve to be hurt - and thus, I find other ways to deal with the pain.

I just find stuff to do. Make graphics, make Sims2 videos. I also do Kung Fu, which is a great stress reliever. Retail therapy is a good quick fix, too. And Prozac.

Umm... Halo 3 (something about letting loose a couple rounds that makes me feel better) and basketball are my main ones. Exhausting myself physically makes me forget about everything else. Reading, movies and music are the others. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't however.

I don't see why people would cut just because of acne. I used to cut, but only because there were really bad things going on in my family. I stopped about 2-3 years ago and would never even consider doing it again just because of acne. Sure acne is something that gets me very upset, but I'm just trying to find something to fix it.