Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SadinChicago

Oily skin caused by harsh cleansers?

I have been using the Neutrogena Extra Sensitive skin cleanser for around 5 months, and my skin responds realy good to it. I wanted to see what would happen if I used a harsher cleanser, so I used a Purpose bar. I noticed right away that my skin felt dry afterwards, but most of the oil on my face was gone. Next morning, I woke up and looked at the mirror, and my face was REAL oily. It hadn't been this oily ever when I was using the Neutrogena Extra Sensitive skin cleanser. So that morning I used the Neutrogena Extra Sensitive skin cleanser, and by the next morning, my skin was back to normal. It was a tad oily, but not a lot.

Now I am thinking that harsh cleansers are what cause oily skin, which leads to acne. My buddy had a body building magazine in his car, and I noticed it had a article on acne. It was writen by some famous DR, who recomended people use the least harsh cleanser they could. One that isn't made for acne prone skin will give better results, according to him. I didn't follow his advice, I was just doing this on my own, and it worked.

Now I know what many of you will think. That I am just bs'ng, and I dont have bad acne if such a mild cleanser can help me this much. Well before this I used to have lots if acne, and still have lots of scars to prove it. I used to use the most extreme of cleaners, and my skin would just get oiler and oiler with the harsh cleansers. I know that the Purpose bar is considered a very mild cleanser, but its still kinda harsh.

I have nothing to gain from this, but am just stating what I think is true. So just try using a very mild cleanser for a week, and see if your skin becomes less oily. The mild cleanser can't wash away all the oil from your face, so it still will be visible for the first couple of days. but your skin overal should be less oily.

I definitely agree with you. I have been using harsh cleansers for most of the duration of my acne in desperation to clear it up, and recently I switched to the Cetaphil cleanser. It has definitely decreased the amount of oil on my face by the end of the day, and I have oily skin. I think it's because these harsh cleansers strip you from all oils on your face, so your skin needs to produce more oil to compensate for the lack of oil. If you use a gentle cleanser that leaves your skin emollient and moisturized, then your skin won't have to produce more oil.

Question. How do you like the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser you're using? I know of one person who swears by it and she used to have moderate acne.

I like the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser alot more than I like the Cetaphyl. I used to use Cetaphyl for a long time. I don't think that Cetaphyl can cleanse the skin enough. It is prety gentle, but cant clean that well. I started using the Extra Gentle cleanser upon recomendation of someone on here, and haven't used anything else since.