Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

While I've read plenty on how acne can form, I cant find much on what happens when the skin naturally heals itself. Im not talking about the small red bumps or tiny pimples... im talking about deeper zits that dont always form a head. When you dont pop or drain them, how does the skin heal itself and expel that bad stuff?

I ask because I think I have what is left over from what could have been a larger & deeper pimple near my jawline. I use Benzoyl Peroxide & Clindamycin regularly and I think it helps for the most part. I may have had a deep zit forming some weeks ago but it never really got big or all that red. However, now I can feel (and slightly see) a bump in this spot. It isnt red, nor does it really hurt but its there and it doesnt seem to be going away with time. Did the pimple just dry out and stay as a bump or something?

And more importantly, how do I get rid of this bump if it doesnt fade away in the next couple of weeks?

the pus fairy sucks it out with a straw while you're sleeping and leaves a dime under your pillow.

I can imagine, that the excess crud gets expelled slowly out of your skin, I could be off base, but I can imagine drinking abundant amounts of water would help speed this up. :-k

I am curious as to what the real answer is though.

Certainly when I leave my zits alone, they inevitably dry up and flake off then leave a red mark and sometimes a small bump(that becomes a new zit later)

I don't know how it heals itself but what I think happened to your pimple is that the pus couldn't be expelled and became trapped so it's now a cyst. If nothing is helping try a cortisone shot, should be gone in a day.

Actually, I think what might happen is your body sends out its little "fighter "cells that help battle the bacteria. This may take awhile in some instances and for some it is a losing battle. But if all goes well and your body fights off the infection in the cyst then the body will just slowly absorb the rest, however, this does not happen over night. Also, if there has been a cyst there for awhile, then some scar tissue may form there also sometimes leaving a little "bump" (for lack of a better term) under your skin.

I think that all depends on your body and its own healing process. I have alot of small indents on my face from cysts but I also have a couple of spots that used to be cysts that have a some unresolved issues under the skin. I have one on my chin that the cyst healed over a year ago but there is still a small bump under the skin. You can't see it but you can feel it.

sickofthis I have the same thing!

It's a cyst that has been sticking around for nearly 2 months now on my chin and it's flattening out but when I feel my skin I can feel something still underneath. It's not visible with make-up and totally painless but I'm now worried that this cyst is like a time-bomb waiting to leave a huge scar!

The derm said that it didn't need a cortisone injection as it's almost flat...I really hope it won't scar. Do these cysts take absolutely ages to heal or what? (I've never known a spot to last longer than a week!!) smile.gif

Do they eventually just get absorbed by the body?

Yes, it may take awhile but it will get absorbed eventually. The one on my cheek took over year!!!!!!!!!! It takes alot of patience that is for sure. Good Luck.

Actually, I think what might happen is your body sends out its little \"fighter \"cells that help battle the bacteria.  This may take awhile in some instances and for some it is a losing battle.  But if all goes well and your body fights off the infection in the cyst then the body will just slowly absorb the rest, however, this does not happen over night.  Also, if there has been a cyst there for awhile, then some scar tissue may form there also sometimes leaving a little \"bump\" (for lack of a better term) under your skin.

The way a cyst usually subsides is through the bacterium being combated by lymphocytes. The thing about the p.acnes bacterium though, is that it reproduces extremely fast, it divides approximately every 20 minutes and so it can take a long time for enough phagocytes to accumulate to be able to destroy it. This agglomeration of exocellular activity results in the local tissue being damaged and so scar tissue will form. This usually only results from an extremely stubborn cyst as it takes a certain amount of cellular aggravation before scar tissue will form. There is no way to combat this unless the bacterium is somehow extracted, as this will allow the remaining bacterium to be easily defeated.