Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucas h

summer plan

I just got out of school and my goal is to completely eliminate my mild/moderate acne over the summer. I definitely don't want to use any harsh chemicals this summer, especially since I'm not in a big hurry for a quick fix. I've tried cutting out dairy entirely and avoiding sugar and eating only fruit and veggies and meat, and I'm pretty sure I can't keep it up for more than a few weeks.

Sooo, I guess I'm looking for a strategy that isn't too intense, especially since I'm going on vacation and won't have a ton of control over what I eat. So far I have:

-drink tons of water (dilute some ACV in a couple times a day)

-keep dairy, sugar, and junk to a minimum

-get on a healthy, 8 or 9 hour sleep schedule

-exercise daily

-stop using BP and SA

As for topical treatment, I was wondering if anyone had used tea tree oil, and what your experience has been with it. I want to just wash my face twice daily, wear a moisurizer, and maybe put something on at night, and I think the tea tree people have some sort of combo regimen that includes all that.

Any suggestions? Maybe supplements, snacks, or products that have worked well for you? I want to keep it simple and easy to follow, or else I'll be tempted to slack.

Thanks a lot

I'm kind of in the same boat as you as far as keeping it simple. I've traded in my old junk food diet and have finally started eating healthy and my skin has definitely reaped the benefits of it.

Good idea to drink lots of water and keep sugar and processed foods to a minimum. I would also try to get your hands on some tasty vegetables as they are huge staple in any healthy diet -- ever since I started juicing I've noticed a huge difference in my complexion.

For face cleansers, stick to anything that is free of chemicals and preferably all natural. I use a baking soda soap and my face responds well to it.

For a moisturizer, I like to use 100% organic coconut oil, as it really smooths your skin and makes for an even complexion. I usually put it on after shaving. I also use Dr. Mercola's Body Butter product, which is a combination of several all natural ingredients that works fantastic not just for your face but your entire body as well.

I've also heard good things for lavender and tea tree oil, just make sure you get a high quality one that is completely organic.

To treat pimples and perhaps leave something on your face at night, check out ActivClear. Like the Body Butter, it is a combo of all natural ingredients that won't dry out your face.

http://products.mercola.com/natural-body-butter/

http://www.activclear.com/

freedomfighter,

I'll definitely make sure I've got veggies around. Coconut oil and ActivClear sound like exactly what I'm looking for. Does coconut oil run or become visible or something with sweating? Because I'm sure to running around in the heat this summer. If not, it sounds perfect. And can I get ActivClear in any stores or is it only sold online? And do you think they'd have 100% organic coconut oil at whole foods or trader joes? If those stores exist somewhere in your vicinity

Thanks so much, this is just what I was looking for!

Coconut oil can tend to have that "greasy" feel to it but if you don't overuse it and let it absorb into your skin well it shouldn't be a problem. I have never noticed it running when I've sweat or anything like that. I got mine at a local organic store, but I'm sure they will carry it at a Trader Joe's, they have them by me as well. Just make sure it's the best quality possible--mine is extra virgin and unrefined. I am fairly light skinned and I like to put it on my face if I'm going to be out in the sun -- it works quite well as a mild sunblock and I like it much better than those toxic sunblocks that I wouldn't dare put on my face.

I'm not sure if you can get ActivClear in stores, but it is available at a bunch of different sites online, including Amazon.

freedomfighter,

I'll definitely make sure I've got veggies around. Coconut oil and ActivClear sound like exactly what I'm looking for. Does coconut oil run or become visible or something with sweating? Because I'm sure to running around in the heat this summer. If not, it sounds perfect. And can I get ActivClear in any stores or is it only sold online? And do you think they'd have 100% organic coconut oil at whole foods or trader joes? If those stores exist somewhere in your vicinity

Thanks so much, this is just what I was looking for!

isn't coconut oil supposed to be extremely pore clogging?

yeah http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acne_dete...le6.htm#inglist gives it a 4/5 for a clogging risk. Maybe you should try high-linoleic safflower oil instead