Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

user posted image

I have pretty mild acne but you can always see red marks on my cheeks and I have the odd whitehead (maybe 1 every 2 weeks) and a rare cyst on my chest or something (that's not really a bother though, they are really minor). I have pretty sensitive skin and, as you can see, my nose and the skin around it is quite red and even has some red dots (the skin is really flaky there, I am constantly picking off dead skin). I use Jergen's lotion everywhere (lightly) and a Vichy moiturizer on the extra dry part around my nose. I lightly use Clearasil w/ 5% BP twice a day everywhere and heavily on active zits. I cleanse with Cetaphil before moisturizing or using the Clearasil.

I am going to the doctor's in 2 weeks and am looking for a prescription that will make my face look as if I never had acne (you know those beautiful people lol). I think that's a realistic goal because it's quite mild and, under good light, you can hardly see anything there.

Could you point me in the right direction as far as prescription medication goes?

How did you get to this page? Go back to acne.org and try Dan's regimen before embarking on prescription stuff (it's why most of us are here).

My face turns very red when using that much BP and I would prefer to use a doctor recommended method, I am just looking for ideas about prescriptions.

Hmm...but have you used a 2.5% concentration of bp before, or are you referring to the 5% you were using? Most of us have had negative experiences with high percentages of bp (red skin, itchiness, flaking), but now are clear because of the regimen.

Have you tried the vinegar recipe, it's working on me and it's only been a day. Clearlight or microdermabrasion? Azelex? These are dermatologist procedures and prescription. As for the scars, they fade away eventually but if you don't mind spending the money, there's the laser treatment. Also you can use a combination of Vitamin C cream and a pigment gel. My dermatologist gave me Physician's choice but there's other ones out there. The azelex should also help with the marks because it says that it can bleach your clothes.

My derm gave me Brevoxyl CREAM (not the gel) cleared me up very quickly. Never had any luck with Retin-A products, very irritating to my skin.

Currently I use Sage skincare which has done wonders for my skin. NO matter what Rx you get make sure you have a really good skincare routine.

dude why are u so obsessed with prescriptions? first off all theyll break u out before they do any good. second of all they have horrible side effects like diarrea 24/7 and shit like that. third of all the doctor isnt gonna prescribe u antibiotics cuz ur acne is very mild, too mild for antibiotics.

I think your acne is mild and more suited to otc products. Most of the sideffects of prescription meds may kill off the remaining acne but will probably worsen your skin condition in the process - particularly as you are already complaining of dryness. Differin, Retin A, Tazorac are the main prescription topicals, they will make you peel and redden. A topical or oral antibiotic might help - unfortunately you become immune to them within a couple of repeats. And no dr in their right mind would put you on accutane.

Can I make a couple of suggestions to your current skincare routine:

- switch from 5-2.5% bp. There is existing research that shows that 2.5 and 5 have the same level of effectiveness but show the 5 is far more drying and irritating. This should help reuce some redness and dryness.

- I'm assuming you are using cetaphil liquid...this is fine it is a good product. Make sure you are cleansing for no more than 10-20 seconds. If you have been cleansing for longer than that tis should also help reduce dryness and any oil spikes.

- Spend some time investigating exfoliants ie: mandelic, lactic, malic etc etc. Products with aha ingredients like I have suggested are pretty effective at evening out the skin tone. Some are very antibacterial also and help supress active acne. I think they would be better than any Retin A type product your dr would prescribe for you. Also look into salicylic acid products, they can clean out the inside of the pore better than an aha and are worth investigating also.

hope this helps.