Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aria H.

I want to eat better...but I'm not sure how to start!

So, whether the better food clears my acne up completely or not, I'd like to improve my eating habits. So, my BMI is 18.9. I'm obviously not looking to lose weight. I just want to be healthier.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

i would research the food pyramid and take notes from that when starting out.

The food pyramid is actually something you'd want to steer clear of unless you want to start eating loads and loads of grains.

To the OP: Just start eating as much whole, fresh foods as possible. Lots of veggies and dark leafy greens, grass-fed meats, wild caught fish, and some fresh fruits.

If all you're looking to do is just eat more healthily, it's pretty simple. No refined stuff, fast-food, and too many refined grains/carbs and you're doing better than a lot of people. Drink a lot of water as well.

However, if you want to get clear from diet, then that requires quite a bit more reading, research, and experimentation.

Which fruits? If I have to cut pineapple out, I'm not so sure I'd be so willing to try this...

How do you figure out which meats are grass fed?

Stick to a traditional diet filled with traditional, natural, can-be-easily-found-in-nature foods.

Stay away from polyunsaturated oils and anything with flour. Don't take synthetic vitamins, and avoid foods that contain said vitamins. Pasteurized fruit juice is worse for you than it is good. Animal fats are not bad, and in fact very beneficial. Focus on getting as many nutrients in as possible with the least number of calories. Eat organic, local-grown food. Eat seasonally, and try to avoid seafood that has been farmed. Stay away from typical feedlot-grown beef, poultry, dairy, or eggs. If you use dairy at all, make sure that it's full-fat, organic, and preferably raw.

Foods to include:

-Organic butter

-Grass-fed meats (the label will indicate; you will have a much easier time finding this in a health food store or a local farm)

-Leafy green vegetables

-Fruits, especially wild berries

-Rice (but try to avoid wheat)

-Coconut oil, olive oil

-Eggs (and don't be scared to eat them raw!)

-Seafood

-Sea vegetables

-Nuts (but you might not be able to tolerate some of them)

-Organ meats (Liver, tongue, heart, brain, whatever)

-Animal bones (an important source of calcium)

-Potatoes and bananas (if you're looking for more starch in your diet)

First don't drink milk. Simple as that. Drink an unsweetened alternative (almond, rice, hemp, ect)

Second, limit carbs. Try to avoid cereals and bread as much as possible.

Third, whenever you eat sugar/a lot of carbs, consider taking fiber with it, whether it be PGX, psyllium, or glucomannan.

And well, get sunlight, and supplement with calcium if you don't get enough, though most teens and older are deficient.

Stick to a traditional diet filled with traditional, natural, can-be-easily-found-in-nature foods.

Stay away from polyunsaturated oils and anything with flour. Don't take synthetic vitamins, and avoid foods that contain said vitamins. Pasteurized fruit juice is worse for you than it is good. Animal fats are not bad, and in fact very beneficial. Focus on getting as many nutrients in as possible with the least number of calories. Eat organic, local-grown food. Eat seasonally, and try to avoid seafood that has been farmed. Stay away from typical feedlot-grown beef, poultry, dairy, or eggs. If you use dairy at all, make sure that it's full-fat, organic, and preferably raw.

Foods to include:

-Organic butter

-Grass-fed meats (the label will indicate; you will have a much easier time finding this in a health food store or a local farm)

-Leafy green vegetables

-Fruits, especially wild berries

-Rice (but try to avoid wheat)

-Coconut oil, olive oil

-Eggs (and don't be scared to eat them raw!)

-Seafood

-Sea vegetables

-Nuts (but you might not be able to tolerate some of them)

-Organ meats (Liver, tongue, heart, brain, whatever)

-Animal bones (an important source of calcium)

-Potatoes and bananas (if you're looking for more starch in your diet)

What are wild berries?

So, whether the better food clears my acne up completely or not, I'd like to improve my eating habits. So, my BMI is 18.9. I'm obviously not looking to lose weight. I just want to be healthier.

I think you need some step by step foundation.

That is you need to focus on a thing at a time till is becomes automatic and you can change things a bit more.

My suggestions is to start your lunch and dinner with a huge salad.

Take a big bowl and fill it with shredded lettuce, aragula, spring mix, cucumbers, grated carrots, baby onions, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, defrosted baby peas, fennel, capers (just use your imagination) and pour a good amount of olive oil or add a sliced haf avocado or toasted sesame seeds or shredded almonds.

Starting with a salad is like programming an alarm clock to remember an appointment.

Once you start with a salad you've reminded to yourself that you're going to eat healthy foods and your next choices will be as good. When you just start your meal with whatever food you're more likely to over eat it and even forget you were supposed to improve your diet.

After your salad is up to you what to eat

You can have a steak, a slice of roast, chicken breast, fish or shellfish.

Or you can choose to have a starch serving like skinned potatoes, wild/brown/basmati rice, quinoa, beans, bean soup, chickpeas.

You can have an extra portion of nuts or avocados

Or you can opt for a fruit salad.

The first step is to change your breakfast

If you're used to have corn flakes, jam, cookies, bread for breakfast ... forget about it.

A better option would be rolled oats with nuts and a piece of fruit

But you can also change your breakfast altogether from sweet to salted.

You can opt for a couple of eggs (buy them high quality) either soft cooked or hard boiled or you can scramble them with stir-fry veggies. In fact if you can't stomach any of these you can start the breakfast too with a salad. Or with a fruit. You can make a green smoothie as well. You can make things simple and have a small cup of defrosted berries and a small cups of almond and cashews.

Some people like to roll half banana in lettuce leaves sprinkling them with almond dust and closing them with a toothpick. You can prepare your breakfast the night before and have it read the next day.

Consider this a sort of skeleton structure that might help you to follow a diet.

Wake up. Think of what you would usually eat for breakfast and what people would usually eat.

Eat the opposite.

Start the meal with a rich fatty enough salad and then choose whatever to have next.

Same thing for evening.

Don't eat if you're not really hungry.

Being really hungry means that you happily crave fresh nourishing food which is the opposite of painfully craving specific foods and feeling lethargic and spacey.

What is berries everone keeps mentioning? Like strawberries, blueberries? What is it that makes these the best of all fruits?

By this do you mean the vitamins heaps of people on here ARE taking, as can be seen in their signatures?

What is berries everone keeps mentioning? Like strawberries, blueberries? What is it that makes these the best of all fruits?

By this do you mean the vitamins heaps of people on here ARE taking, as can be seen in their signatures?

BUMP