Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've had this cyst on my chin for a month and a half now! Unfortunately I picked it initially and the area scabbed but the area it still red and swollen now (no pain at all though!).

Some days it feels flatter, some days it's swollen again...I'm on Roaccutane and when I went to see the dermatologist he said it didn't need a cortisone injection and it should go eventually on its own.

How long do these cysts stick around for? (I've never had one before) I'm really scared that the longer it's there the more likely it's going to scar.

Any advice would be appreciated...

it's easy for him to say that since it will heal on its own as it will with accutane. but the question is the scarring - you should have told him that you didn't want the cyst to scar. the cortisone injection you mentioned will prevent acne scarring. they use steroid injections for lacerations as well - to prevent scar tissue from forming. it will also get rid of the cyst fast.

Thanks JOHNNY11. I really don't want it to scar! I'm terrified that it'll leave a big dent.

How long do these cysts normally stick around for? When is the time that they'll most likely scar?

I'm seeing the dermatologist again but in 3 weeks time. Should I push for a cortisone injection sooner or wait 3 weeks until I see him.

It's not painful or anything and feels quite shallow. Just seems to be filled with fluid.

Yes some of them have but that's because they were painful and I picked. The ones that I got injs in I didn't have scars. I have severe acne and with that it's kind of hard not to have scars. I'll deal with those when I am done with trying to get myself clear.

i would try to push for the appointment sooner since ther's no telling what may happen to the cyst in 3 weeks time. but if there's no appointments available sooner, i guess you'll have to wait.

What kind of scars do cysts leave?

Thanks JOHNNY11! I think I'll call my dermatologist tomorrow. The only thing is that this cyst is almost flat now, completely painless, and the redness is only due to me having picked at it initially. Although when I press it there seems tobe something still under the skin. Does this still mean that I need a cortisone injection or do I only need it when it is very swollen?

Any answers will be much appreciated! biggrin.gif

(PS. I have also posted this query on the General acne notice board)

I would still get the inj. It will make it heal much faster. Since I have all types of scars I'm not sure what casued what. I had some cyts that I had inj. after they gone down and they are much better now.