Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baby pink

Alesse, need help!!!!!!

I'm finishing up my first pack of Alesse (that time of the month right now) and I'm having a TERRIBLE hormonal breakout at the moment. I'll give it one more month but then I want to switch to something else. Problem is... I don't want to gain 20 lbs.. nope.. I'm not looking to be 5'1" and 130.. what should I ask the derm for? She put me on Alesse a month ago and my breakout right now is baaddddd. PM me for pics if you think you can help.

Baby Pink, I would suggest Spironolactone for you. I don't know if you've read any of the threads on it but it is beginning to work wonders on me and has already worked it's magic on so many other women suffering from hormonal acne. I would definitely ask your derm about it. If Alesse doesn't show any improvement by your next appt, then I'd definitely look into it. If I were you, I would just use Cetaphil cleanser. It made my skin baby soft. I was using Neutrogena and I found out that salicylic acid was contributing to my breakouts as well. Also, the Burts Bee's soap may not be the best thing for your skin. I work in retail and sell Burt's Bees products and have had several people tell me that they really disliked that soap. As far as your topicals, they seem to be good ones. Right now I'm using Benzaclin and Finacea. I use everyday mineral makeup which you can find at everydaminerals.com (they have a free sample kit and all you have to pay is shipping). Also, my derm gave me a suggestion to help with hormonal acne during that time of the month. At midcycle, begin taking vit B6. Take it until your period starts and then stop immediately. Do not take it while you're on your period. You pretty much take it two weeks before your period is supposed to start.

I'm finishing up my first pack of Alesse (that time of the month right now) and I'm having a TERRIBLE hormonal breakout at the moment. I'll give it one more month but then I want to switch to something else. Problem is... I don't want to gain 20 lbs.. nope.. I'm not looking to be 5'1" and 130.. what should I ask the derm for? She put me on Alesse a month ago and my breakout right now is baaddddd. PM me for pics if you think you can help.

Baby Pink, I would suggest Spironolactone for you. I don't know if you've read any of the threads on it but it is beginning to work wonders on me and has already worked it's magic on so many other women suffering from hormonal acne. I would definitely ask your derm about it. If Alesse doesn't show any improvement by your next appt, then I'd definitely look into it. If I were you, I would just use Cetaphil cleanser. It made my skin baby soft. I was using Neutrogena and I found out that salicylic acid was contributing to my breakouts as well. Also, the Burts Bee's soap may not be the best thing for your skin. I work in retail and sell Burt's Bees products and have had several people tell me that they really disliked that soap. As far as your topicals, they seem to be good ones. Right now I'm using Benzaclin and Finacea. I use everyday mineral makeup which you can find at everydaminerals.com (they have a free sample kit and all you have to pay is shipping). Also, my derm gave me a suggestion to help with hormonal acne during that time of the month. At midcycle, begin taking vit B6. Take it until your period starts and then stop immediately. Do not take it while you're on your period. You pretty much take it two weeks before your period is supposed to start.

Thank you for the advice! I only use the Burt's Bees as a body wash, and I use a really super gentle soap free cleanser on my face. One question though, isn't Spiro an anti-androgen? I had an FSH and an LH and a DHEA sulfate and all the results came back normal so I don't think I have abnormal androgen levels.. does Spiro help even if androgen levels are fine? My derm is away for the month but I messaged the person filling in for her who may switch me to Yasmin, but do you think Spiro is good for me still? I'm 21 if that helps. I don't just have hormonal acne, I get pimples all over but it's worse on the bottom half of my face. If you think so I'll ask! Thanks :)

Thank you for the advice! I only use the Burt's Bees as a body wash, and I use a really super gentle soap free cleanser on my face. One question though, isn't Spiro an anti-androgen? I had an FSH and an LH and a DHEA sulfate and all the results came back normal so I don't think I have abnormal androgen levels.. does Spiro help even if androgen levels are fine? My derm is away for the month but I messaged the person filling in for her who may switch me to Yasmin, but do you think Spiro is good for me still? I'm 21 if that helps. I don't just have hormonal acne, I get pimples all over but it's worse on the bottom half of my face. If you think so I'll ask! Thanks :)

definitely do spiro. i also had horrrribble luck with allessee. i went from almost clear from spiro to pizza-with-eerything-toppings. spiro is also good for losing wieght if you are worried about that... i dropped abotu 20 pounds on it. my doc wants me to do yaz which is supposed to be good, dbut i think it depends on your chemistry.

definitely do spiro. i also had horrrribble luck with allessee. i went from almost clear from spiro to pizza-with-eerything-toppings. spiro is also good for losing wieght if you are worried about that... i dropped abotu 20 pounds on it. my doc wants me to do yaz which is supposed to be good, dbut i think it depends on your chemistry.

'

thanks! will they give me Spiro even if my androgen levels are normal?

'

thanks! will they give me Spiro even if my androgen levels are normal?

ya, it seems to help , i've heard it has to do with androgen sensitiveity not just levels

Babypink--our acne sounds like it could be the same. Mine has always been on my lower cheeks and jawline. I would definitely give Spiro a shot. Spiro is an androgen blocker. I've never had any problems with hormones either. Needless to say I've never had tests done but I've always had regular periods, etc. I'm just a normal, healthy girl! I'm 21 also and I've always had acne here and there until this past January. Right before my 21st birthday it was like BAM, hello acne! Before, a little store bought spot treatment would clear me up and now nothing will except for SPiro. I'm coming up on the 3 month mark on Spiro. It's been a nasty road but it's finally made a dramatic improvement on my skin. I've also come across blogs where women have had hormone tests come back normal and they still demanded Spiro and it has dramatically helped them too!

As far as Yaz goes, it could slightly help your acne. Yaz contains 25 mg of Spironolactone which is why on the advertisements it says "contains a hormone to help clear skin"...that's the hormone I suspect! Spiro and Yaz are a good combination to take together. If your acne is bad enough you'll need to take more than 25 mg of Spior, I'm up to 100mg. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have anymore question, I'd be glad to help!

thanks!! although I've had acne since I was 11 or so... it went from the T-zone to more on the cheeks and chin and stuff.. now my forehead is breaking out more I think from the differin.. so my face is sooo broken out right now! I'm seeing a dermatologist on the 27th so I'll be a couple weeks into the Yasmin then. I'll ask that dermatologist about Spiro! it does sound promising though I have terrriibbbly hard to treat acne.

I messaged the derm asking for Spiro. They won't give it to me . They said start with Yasmin and Minocin for now. I told them I was worried about starting a new antibiotic after what Doxycycline did to me. The derm said ok, hold off on the antibiotic until you're seen on the 27th.

Thankfully, I'm seeing a different derm on the 27th (although the one I've been messaging has NEVER seen me, she's just filling in for my current dermatologist for prescriptions and stuff) so I'll ask them about my medications. Maybe they'll put me on Spiro.

right now I'm having miserable results. my face looks really, really terrible right now.