Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Results of the Low-Fat, Low-GI Diet After 5 weeks

This thread is not about arguing about whether this diet works... its just about telling you results :).

I've been on this diet 5 weeks --- long enough to tell you my results.

Type of Acne: Extreme oiliness, clogged pores, blackheads, whiteheads, keratinization (an over production of skin... lots of dead skin...)

The diet: VERY low-fat, Low GI. No lean meats, oily fish, egg yolks, nuts, avacados, cheeses, milk, almond milk, oils, chocolate. I keep each meal around under 5 grams of fat. Keep sweets to a minimum and always pick whole grains. You are allowed 20 grams of fat per day.

My results: Before this diet, I had to take 2 pills of 200mg of antibiotics (tetracycline, minocycline...) per day to keep my skin clear. Now, I take 2 pills per week to keep my skin clear. I'm thinking that 1 gram of Vitamin B5 can be substituted for the antibiotics.

For more info on the diet: If you dont mind reading, go to a Borders & Books and ask for "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes" and read the first 10 pages. Its a very easy read and hard to put down. It's all about regaining insulin sensitivity.

No, I dont have before/after pictures. I wouldn't want someone I know to see a pic with me on here. I'm terribly embarassed how bad it was.

Not to go offtopic or anything, but for how long have you been on antibiotics? I've never read about that in any of your threads, only that you were on B5, Cinnamon and other stuff.

Are you sure thats a healthy way to stay clear from acne?

For the last 7 years, I've used antibiotics when I have important events to attend (So..I use them for two weeks twice a year?).

No, they are not healthy. I vomited every morning on tetracycline... it was awful. But what else do you do when you have the most important event of the year...and your face looks like its been run over by a tractor? =P (Healthy image of myself LOL)

Before this diet, I would get around 200 pimples every 3 days (I'm not exagerating). I now get 4 pimples every week.

Before this diet, I would get around 200 pimples every 3 days (I'm not exagerating). I now get 4 pimples every week.

Nice results. I know I was happy when my acne mostly cleared, but going from 200 pimples every 3 days to 2 pimples every three days must feel incredible.

can you PM me with a good list of things you eat for meals? I'm really curious and interested in starting this. I too seem to get like 200 pimples a day, ouch..

I've been eating several "staple" foods until I can branch out more and discover more foods.

Subway veggie sandwhiches (without olives) with mustard (instead of lettuce, have them make it with baby spinach or green bell peppers)

Subway also has "bags of apple slices" which I buy and take with me as a snack

Whole wheat pasta and marinara sauce & steamed mushrooms (do not add any oil to pasta)

Oatmeal & brown sugar

Recipe: Basmati rice. In separate sauce pan, put canned chickpeas & tomato sauce. After 15 minutes, add "Chana Masala spices" (buy at an Indian shop) and then pour the chickpea sauce over the rice. VERY VERY VERY tasty.

Go into the health food section of the grocery store and buy low-fat vegetarian soups (Pea soup, Veggie soup...).

I've discovered dehydrated soups are tasty (look in the health-food aisle)... and low fat. Just try a few and see how you like it =P.

Baked Tostito corn chips and Salsa

Craisins (sweetened dried cranberries)

Fruit popcicles

If I think of more, I'll add them..........

I really want to try this, and plan on it soon, but I have got to find some quality protein sources. It seems like by eating this way you might be able to get like 50-70g a day MAX and all of that would be incomplete protein. Anyone have ideas?

I really want to try this, and plan on it soon, but I have got to find some quality protein sources. It seems like by eating this way you might be able to get like 50-70g a day MAX and all of that would be incomplete protein. Anyone have ideas?

There are quite a few vegan protein powders on the market, such as hemp protein and pea protein. I tried one powder that was a combination of hemp, rice, and pea protein. It was pretty good.

There are quite a few vegan protein powders on the market, such as hemp protein and pea protein. I tried one powder that was a combination of hemp, rice, and pea protein. It was pretty good.

Any protein powder that doesnt have more than 3 grams of fat per serving should be fine =P.

Guest COX-2
Any protein powder that doesnt have more than 3 grams of fat per serving should be fine =P.

Congrats Dotty this diet ALWAYS works for me no matter how stressed etc I am.

Aren't most protein powders derived from dairy and I would think they give a lot of people problems. For me personally I wouldn't take "any protein powder" that has less than 3 grams of fat.

Is there anyone who has tried a very low fat diet while still eating just as many carbs and seen improvement? Dotty, have you ever tried just a low carb diet?

Is there anyone who has tried a very low fat diet while still eating just as many carbs and seen improvement? Dotty, have you ever tried just a low carb diet?

i tried the diet for like four days and it was definately working but my sex drive was gone. i think this diet dramatically reduces testosterone. personally, i'd rather have acne then lose my desire to fuck so i stopped.

You lose the acne to get more sex. But then you lose the acne and you don't even want sex. Oh the irony.

Hmm, this diet was officially studied at the University of Yale on young college students and none reported having bad any side effects. If the guys had really lost their sex drive, it would have been an issue. Many males would have quit the diet =P.

There is even a message board devoted only to people who are on the diet, and there has never been one post about loss of sex drive. In fact, not any side effects have been reported on the message board.... except the problem of staying on the diet.

Oh, and I was just told by an M.D. who works with diabetics on this diet that the diet should not exceed 20 grams of fat per day. That info helps me enormously.

Hmm, this diet was officially studied at the University of Yale on young college students and none reported having bad any side effects. If the guys had really lost their sex drive, it would have been an issue. Many males would have quit the diet =P.

There is even a message board devoted only to people who are on the diet, and there has never been one post about loss of sex drive. In fact, not any side effects have been reported on the message board.... except the problem of staying on the diet.

if we are thinking about the same study it was conducted on only women.

So still clear, but are u still using the antibiotics? Not that I am discrediting you, but they are kinda a big factor if used even semi regularly.

Remedy, nope, we are not thinking of the same study. This diet is based on studies at Yale University and George Washington University which used both genders.

if we are thinking about the same study it was conducted on only women.

There was a study on diet's effect on PMS issues done on PCOS sufferers. The diet used in the study was low carb and low fat.

This study was done in 2005... it was low fat, low GI... on both genders at Yale.

Also, there is a message board devoted to people on this diet and no one says that they lose their sex drive =P.