Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bozeefus

Hydrogen peroxide - cheaper alternative to benzoyl peroxide?

hi there. i will try to apply the organic chemistry i learned in college to benzoyl peroxide.

NOTE: i don't know all the details about reactivity and crap so please correct me if i am wrong; i always enjoying applying what i learn to real life.

------------

hydrogen peroxide and benzoyl peroxide are both organic peroxides in the form of R-O-O-R.

hydrogen peroxide, H-O-O-H, needs to be kept in the dark because sunlight can serve as a catalysis in its decomposition (which explains why hydrogen peroxide is often found in brown bottles; it could be a black bottle, provided it does not let sunlight through).

now, peroxides are generally unstable and decompose down into its radical form. generally speaking, if we are dealing with a peroxide in the form of R-O-O-R, a homolytic cleavage will occur between the O-O bond and result in 2 R-O* radicals (where * will function as an electron). these radicals are highly reactive and are very nucleophillic (meaning they are "nucleus seekers" or "hydrogen" seekers).

what i DON'T get is how oxygen gas is formed which is what kills the acne bacteria (why? i dunno; i always hated biology). can someone provide an explanation as to what the R-O* radicals attack in order for oxygen to be formed? i understand the byproducts are water and benzoic acid for hydrogen peroxide and benzoyl peroxide respectively, but what is the process that produces these byproducts?

anyway, back on topic. if u compare the chemical formula of hydrogen peroxide, H-O-O-H, with benzoyl peroxide (its chemical formula is listed here ), you can see that hydrogen peroxide is more reactive than benzoyl peroxide. in benzoyl peroxide, the carbonyl group, C=O electron-stabilizes the O-O single bond so it is less reactive and thus less readily to undergo homolytic cleavage.

with that said, why not use hydrogen peroxide instead of benzoyl peroxide? hydrogen peroxide is in fact more reactive but one could dilute it with water to create a weaker concentration.

i am only posting this since hydrogen peroxide is dirt cheap. you can buy a large bottle for a dollar and if possible, it may serve as an affordable alternative to expensive benzoyl peroxide. :P

again, please post your opinions, facts, anything to disprove/support what i say. i am eager to learn

hydrogen peroxide and benzoyl peroxide are both organic peroxides in the form of R-O-O-R.

Hydrogen peroxide is not an organic peroxide. It does not even contain carbon. Other than that, I don't know much about it. I suggest you do a research before using it.

hi there. i will try to apply the organic chemistry i learned in college to benzoyl peroxide.

NOTE: i don't know all the details about reactivity and crap so please correct me if i am wrong; i always enjoying applying what i learn to real life.

------------

hydrogen peroxide, H-O-O-H, needs to be kept in the dark because sunlight can serve as a catalysis in its decomposition (which explains why hydrogen peroxide is often found in brown bottles; it could be a black bottle, provided it does not let sunlight through).

now, peroxides are generally unstable and decompose down into its radical form. generally speaking, if we are dealing with a peroxide in the form of R-O-O-R, a homolytic cleavage will occur between the O-O bond and result in 2 R-O* radicals (where * will function as an electron). these radicals are highly reactive and are very nucleophillic (meaning they are "nucleus seekers" or "hydrogen" seekers).

what i DON'T get is how oxygen gas is formed which is what kills the acne bacteria (why? i dunno; i always hated biology). can someone provide an explanation as to what the R-O* radicals attack in order for oxygen to be formed? i understand the byproducts are water and benzoic acid for hydrogen peroxide and benzoyl peroxide respectively, but what is the process that produces these byproducts?

anyway, back on topic. if u compare the chemical formula of hydrogen peroxide, H-O-O-H, with benzoyl peroxide (its chemical formula is listed here ), you can see that hydrogen peroxide is more reactive than benzoyl peroxide. in benzoyl peroxide, the carbonyl group, C=O electron-stabilizes the O-O single bond so it is less reactive and thus less readily to undergo homolytic cleavage.

with that said, why not use hydrogen peroxide instead of benzoyl peroxide? hydrogen peroxide is in fact more reactive but one could dilute it with water to create a weaker concentration.

i am only posting this since hydrogen peroxide is dirt cheap. you can buy a large bottle for a dollar and if possible, it may serve as an affordable alternative to expensive benzoyl peroxide. :P

again, please post your opinions, facts, anything to disprove/support what i say. i am eager to learn

The Clearasil Ultra Pore Cleansing Pads that I am currently using have 1.5% Hydrogen Peroxide in them as well as 2% SA. It doesn't dry out my skin at all and actually seems to be working better than any BP product that I have tried. I'm not sure if I would put HP on my face straight out of the bottle though.

Problem is hydrogen peroxide is too quick to oxide once there is light to cause the reaction providing the energy needed to favor oxidation. You would have to be in a dark room and apply a diluted H2O2 on the affect areas then go to a lighted room for it to work but even then it is also more dangerous to use it so just be careful if you want to save money and best of luck. benzoyl peroxide takes more light to oxidize and therefore it has adequate time to seep into the bacteria infected regions before it oxidizes, delivering a more potent treatment for acne.

=) have fun