Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaybin2

Growing out hair

hey everyone, I always sported a shortish cut, but I decided to grow it out

My hair is incredibly dry and rough and unhealthy, how can I first go about getting it healthy?

So, I have dandruff. I use T-Gel from nuetrogena which gets rid of that crap, but it makes the hair really poofy and dried out, and the conditioner I use doesn't do much

I was wondering if its not that much harder to have long hair w/ or w/out dandruff?

What conditioner can help the extreme dryness that I experience after I wash my hair with anti-dandruff shampioo

any tips would be fine, I never really grew my hair out that long, Im glad I am tho

Ah, memories. I used to have short chin length hair but over the years I've grown mine out to my knees.

Personally, I only wash my hair every 4 days and that's just the scalp. I don't wash the length of my hair except 1 time a month. Depending on how long your hair is now, you could probably skip a day of washing and let it get a little greasy. Whenever my hair is dry for some reason I let it go a day more before washing so it's a little slippery. Remember to brush it a lot, even though it feels gross.

As for the dandruff part, mostly it's caused by just severely dry scalp. So the washing every few days may help. As for conditioners try to find something with a mint extract in it. I don't know where you live but I SWEAR by the brand ABBA. They are a professional haircare line but they aren't horribly expensive. The PURE Moisture Conditioner is great for the flaky scalp. I use it a lot and I love it.

Last I don't know how long your hair is but what helps grow out hair with little breakage is to put your hair in a low pony tale and then braid the length of it. This is how I have my hair when I sleep and most of the day. Very few tangles.

hey everyone, I always sported a shortish cut, but I decided to grow it out

My hair is incredibly dry and rough and unhealthy, how can I first go about getting it healthy?

So, I have dandruff. I use T-Gel from nuetrogena which gets rid of that crap, but it makes the hair really poofy and dried out, and the conditioner I use doesn't do much

I was wondering if its not that much harder to have long hair w/ or w/out dandruff?

What conditioner can help the extreme dryness that I experience after I wash my hair with anti-dandruff shampioo

any tips would be fine, I never really grew my hair out that long, Im glad I am tho

With the dryness any decent protein conditioner is going to help really. Has your hair recently been chemically treated at all? For example; has it been tinted, bleached, permed or chemically straightened? If so i would recommend a herbal anti oxy conditioner. That stuff is awesome if your hair is slightly hammered.

Regards the flaking scalp, if its really bad see your doctor. If its minor, like a few specks or flakes here and there, just get yourself a decent dandruff shampoo. If you find T-Gel helps for that, then stick with it, but get a decent conditioner to counteract the dryness caused to the hair itself. Remember, even though dandruff shampoos always say ''best used with our anti-dandruff conditioner'' on the back of the bottle, don't do it. It'll dry out your hair even more. There's no need to have a medicated shampoo AND a medicated conditioner. Use the shampoo to help with the flakes and get a separate conditioner to bring the moisture back to the hair itself.

I've donated hair to locks of love twice in the past 5 years. My hair grows long, fast, and with few split ends while showering and washing my hair every day. In fact, I just got a hair cut last week and hadn't had one for 11 months. The stylist couldn't believe it since my hair was still in good condition.

However, when I started accutane, I suddenly had dandruff. I tried dandruff shampoo and conditioner and found that neither worked. What did help was putting jojoba oil on my scalp a few times. However, it is a bit messy to get all the way to your scalp. Then again, it also helped my hair a bit. Rather than dandruff shampoo, I used normal stuff (pantene pro v) and scrubbed my scalp hard with shampoo (to loosen the flakes that were already there, I don't know if this was really a good thing but it drove me crazy) and then massaged in the conditioner to my scalp letting it sit for a minute before I rinsed it off.

It could just be that what I did worked because of what brought on the dandruff, but it could work for you as well.

Other things that help keep your hair look and feel healthy are:

Rinse with cool/cold water before leaving shower.

Use a hair serum (even cheap) on wet hair .

Use smoothing cream.

After you blow dry your hair, blow it on the cool setting.

Brush your hair BEFORE the shower since hair is much weaker when wet. You will have less tangles after the shower.

I also found that I can use as much conditioner as I want, I just have to rinse it out well to avoid a greasy look. It does ensure all of my hair gets conditioner.

If your hair is at all curly, do NOT fall asleep with loose wet hair. When I wake up with dried kinky knotted hair I end up breaking a lot of hair.

Don't use a comb, use a squishy brush. It will "give in" instead of tugging through a tough tangle

I am not a hair expert, but I have not found dandruff shampoo or anything super high priced helpful. Also, the braid really does help, especially at night.

Good Luck!

PS - Eryka's hair is a full 2 feet longer than I've had mine. She's truly got stamina and skill to keep it that long (and still healthy!).

Is your hair curly/wavy? The curlier your hair is, the more prone it is to becoming dry (because the natural oils from your scalp take longer time to travel down the hair shaft). Usually, people will extremely dry/frizzy hair can use essence, but in your case, since you also have dandruff, it would be a little bit more tricky.

A good tip when you shower is, when you shampoo your hair, use warm ~ hot water, and using the tips of your fingers (and NOT the fingernails), thoroughly massage your scalp in circles for a while. That really helps a lot. And I wouldn't use hair conditioner until your dandruff gets better. I think Head and Shoulders is very good because not only is it anti-dandruff, it's actually decent at smoothing out the hair, so you can try H&S (but the ingredient in it may be too weak to control your dandruff, I don't know).

Anyhow, there's really no specific way to make your hair grow out faster (you can take some hair growth supplements, but there's no "natural" method to do it, other than just eat healthy and take your vitamins).

Off topic, but don't use Pantene Pro-V. It contains a high amount of silicone (compared to other shampoos on the market) which, over time, will build up on the hair (''adding shine'') and not only act as a barrier to any chemical hair treatment you might be considering, lead to hair damage and breakage, but also if you have a particularly sensitive scalp it can lead to disorders such as dandruff and psoriasis. I've heard it can even cause serious long term skin problems.

That's going on what i've learned in my time in hairdressing so far. I've seen some pretty shocking results from long term use of that stuff. I'd steer well clear.

^ What protein shampoo & conditioner would you recommend?

I was using Kiehl's tea tree shampoo & decided to try their protein concentrate shampoo for oily hair (my roots are oily). I'm not sure how I like it yet. Too soon to tell.

My ends tend to get dry from color processing; they get this "open cuticle" look. My hairdresser says my hair is healthy though, but when the color starts to fade it always looks so ratty to me.

And don't most shine serums have silicone? I thought it was okay as long as you clarified now & then to prevent buildup (?). I use the Paul Mitchell Skinny serum a few times a week when I flat iron and I've wondered if that was dulling my hair in the long run.

^ What protein shampoo & conditioner would you recommend?

Aveda's shampure conditioner is pretty rad. It just depends on how much moisture your hair can take from a conditioner before you find it to be difficult. It's trial and error i guess. With me, i have to use very light surface conditioners (I used one by Green People which is awesome) with my hair as it gets greasy very quickly.

And don't most shine serums have silicone? I thought it was okay as long as you clarified now & then to prevent buildup (?). I use the Paul Mitchell Skinny serum a few times a week when I flat iron and I've wondered if that was dulling my hair in the long run.

I know a lot do, but i'm sure some don't. I must say though i never use ANY shine serums on any of my clients... i wouldn't want to risk the style flopping. I only really use wax, putty, spray, blow dry lotions and heat protection. Most of that is Wella.

Yes, build up removing/clarifying shampoo is always a good move once in a while if you use a lot of products on your hair but always try to avoid products that have HIGH amounts of silicone (pantene) in as that can lead to problems.

And also, regards your hair dulling. You're probably right, the skinny serum probably is dulling your hair. It's quite common with serums. If you only use it when straighting (i assume that's pretty much your whole hair regime) why don't you use a basic heat protection product (just heat protection, no added shine or anything) such as Lee Stafford's poker straight or something a like...

Hope that helps...

I've always used ABBA, my holy grail for my hair. Their Molasses and Baking Soda clarifier 1 or 2 times a month removes ANYTHING

I've always used ABBA, my holy grail for my hair. Their Molasses and Baking Soda clarifier 1 or 2 times a month removes ANYTHING

I used an Abba shampoo a long time ago and I think I liked it.

I used to use something by Aveda too...a wax I think. I used to be close to an aunt who is a hairdresser & I was always getting free stuff then...I miss that, haha.

I'll see about one of those when my Kiehl's runs out. I'll definitely look into heat protection instead of silicone serums too.

Thanks for the help :). Sorry to hi-jack the thread & make it about me :P

well i use all natural hippie stuff, so if you go that route i recomend morocco method, the stuff is dirt, and is one of two shampoos i have ever used that doesn't make my hair feel stripped when i rinse it out. hauschka is really good too. conditioers with shea butter help do a deep condition. i do cold oil for an hour or so a couple of times a week, look for something with herbs to help stimulate growth like burdcok red cloever DO NOT leave it in over night though... oh and if it makes your scalp tingle (mint for instance) blood is circulating in your scalp, feels good and stimulates growht.

nutrition plays a role, make sure you eat well, and that your vitamin has enough niacin biotin and folate.

I have color treated hair and it was dry and frizzy an unmanageable in the winter. I discovered pure virgin coconut oil as a hair and scalp treatment. It works miracles on damaged hair. I just buy a big tub of it from the Health store (Places like Ukrops, trader Joes or other organic grocery stores). What I do is saturate my hair, massage in my scalp and put a shower cap on for about an houror two while I'm doing housework, drinking coffee. Then I wash with a sulfate free shampoo (Sometimes twice, but once is usually enough) then condition with a light conditioner and let air dry. My hair is soft and shiny and no more frizzies. I do it once a week. It smells good too and you can use the coconut oil as a body moisturizer. Just don't use it on your face.

You may want to get your hair trimmed lightly. As little as possible but enough to get off the split ends. I feel your pain on trying to grown hair out. I had chin length hair for a long time and wanted to grow it out, but never made it past a certain point. You have to have willpower. Hair vitamins can help too. Good for your skin as well.

I have color treated hair and it was dry and frizzy an unmanageable in the winter. I discovered pure virgin coconut oil as a hair and scalp treatment. It works miracles on damaged hair. I just buy a big tub of it from the Health store (Places like Ukrops, trader Joes or other organic grocery stores). What I do is saturate my hair, massage in my scalp and put a shower cap on for about an houror two while I'm doing housework, drinking coffee. Then I wash with a sulfate free shampoo (Sometimes twice, but once is usually enough) then condition with a light conditioner and let air dry. My hair is soft and shiny and no more frizzies. I do it once a week. It smells good too and you can use the coconut oil as a body moisturizer. Just don't use it on your face.

You may want to get your hair trimmed lightly. As little as possible but enough to get off the split ends. I feel your pain on trying to grown hair out. I had chin length hair for a long time and wanted to grow it out, but never made it past a certain point. You have to have willpower. Hair vitamins can help too. Good for your skin as well.

Coconut oil is awesome for the frizz! And if you have short frizzy hair some of the harder coconut products can be used as a styling wax too. Rad.

I'm a guy. How often should I wash my hair? The top of my head is straight/wavy and the back is curly/wavy. My hair is pretty fine too but I have a lot thank god. But in the shower if I wash my hair too vigorously, I notice a few strands of hair in my hand. Also, I wash my hair 1-2 times a day and use a conditioner once a month probably when I feel it's getting too tangled or something. Also, I use the Suave shampoo you get at the dollar store :) But my conditioner is Redken which I had for a while now.

Przn, I think you wash WAY too much. I wash 1 in every 4 days, granted I have very long hair but it just takes time for the oil and grime to build up. I would wash only once a day or every other day if you can.

Jojoba oil is wonderful for helping out dryness. I leave it in for 5 minutes then rinse out. A good shampoo and conditioner will do wonders as well.. I use Eufora .. it's 100% vegan.

And the thing that has probably helped out my hair the most is leaving in my conditioner. And no, I don't mean a leave-in-conditioner. I mean literally leaving in my conditioner.. do not rinse! It's wonderful... works better than any leave -in I've ever tried.

I'm a guy. How often should I wash my hair? The top of my head is straight/wavy and the back is curly/wavy. My hair is pretty fine too but I have a lot thank god. But in the shower if I wash my hair too vigorously, I notice a few strands of hair in my hand. Also, I wash my hair 1-2 times a day and use a conditioner once a month probably when I feel it's getting too tangled or something. Also, I use the Suave shampoo you get at the dollar store :) But my conditioner is Redken which I had for a while now.

Yeah, I also think that two times a day with shampoo is a little bit over-stripping on the hair. Once a day with shampoo is good, and conditioner... Well, a lot of guys just don't use one, but I use one every day, and it's okay to do that too (as long as the conditioner isn't making your hair heavy or flaky).

And also, about the mention about the Pantene shampoo up there... I also heard that the Garnier Fructis lines have tons of silicon in it, to the point where my friend who kept on using it went to get a hair cut, and when she asked for a razor cut (where they shagg the hair with a razor instead of cutting it with scissors), the coated silicon started peeling off.

I hope that's an extreme case, because I'm using it... O_O... even though she told me not to, I'm in college, and it's the cheapest brand they sell at the nearby store, lol

:shock:

You should never be washing your hair 1 to 2 times a day :naughty: . You shouldn't even really be washing your hair every day unless you cake it full of products. Id say try to cut down to every other day and use conditioner EVERY time.

But my hair feels all greasy and weird when I wash less than once a day? Conditioner I use rarely because it makes my hair fall out a lot easier and it makes it a lot thinner temporarily.

But my hair feels all greasy and weird when I wash less than once a day? Conditioner I use rarely because it makes my hair fall out a lot easier and it makes it a lot thinner temporarily.

You're using the wrong shampoo and condiioner then. Get lighter ones. Do you have any pictures of your hair?

And regards hair falling out, everyones does when they wash it. It really freaks people out, but seriously, don't worry, its completely natural. Believe me, i've washed a lot of hair!

i use a dandruff shampoo every once in a while if i every see dandruff acting up

but i usually use a lavender and mint shampoo and same conditioner but i put a little bit of jojoba oil in it.

my hair feels a lot healthier and stronger

my hairdresser told me that shampoos like pantene and herbal essences create a waxy buildup in your hair

my hairdresser told me that shampoos like pantene and herbal essences create a waxy buildup in your hair

True words. Makes blow drying a nightmare for us! :wall: