Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Molson_Man

New Facial Cleanser - I Need a Recommendation!

You've probably seen this exact same question hundreds of times, so sorry if it's starting to get old...

I've been using Spectro Jel (the one with the purple label) for probably about 1-2 years now, and have never really liked it that much. It is gentle, and is one of the few cleansers that doesn't dry out my face, but on the flip side, it has never felt like it really cleans deep down or helps keep me clear. So I guess what I'm looking for is a new cleanser that cleans deep down and actually helps keep acne at bay, while leaving my skin as non-irritated as the Spectro Jel does (I know I know, wouldn't everybody like something like this).

I was thinking about ordering some of that Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash, because all the reviews I've read about it say that it is extremely gentle and doesn't strip the face of its natural oils, and also helps clear acne quite well. As well, I've already ordered some of their Oil-Free Formula AHA lotion, and was thinking about switching over to Alpha Hydrox products only. However, sodium chloride and sodium laureth sulfate are listed as ingredients, and I've read that they are both irritating and comedogenic, which makes me weary of trying it out. I once tried Clean and Clear Sensitive Skin foaming cleanser (which has identical ingredients to Purpose Gentle Cleanser, except for C&C contains perfume and sodium chloride), and it really dried out my skin.

Any suggestions? I really need to find a good, non-irritating, deep-cleaning facial cleanser to add to my regimen. Thanks.

go to www.zirh.com and look at their two facial cleansers. I have tried both and they are amazing. They are also mentioned in Men's Health magazine.

How's the Acne.org cleanser that Dan makes? I've been reading up on it, and it seems pretty good. No comedogenic or irritating ingredients as far as I can tell, and it seems like it actually has the proper ingredients to helps keep acne at bay (unlike the Spectro Jel stuff). Not to mention I like the fact that it actually lathers; I can't stand facial cleansers that don't lather, there's something very unsatisfying about it. Any comments?

It's pretty good. If you want a cleanser that lathers without drying, that is the way to go.

If you don't want a lathering cleanser, use CeraVe, because it's super gentle.

You've probably seen this exact same question hundreds of times, so sorry if it's starting to get old...

I've been using Spectro Jel (the one with the purple label) for probably about 1-2 years now, and have never really liked it that much. It is gentle, and is one of the few cleansers that doesn't dry out my face, but on the flip side, it has never felt like it really cleans deep down or helps keep me clear. So I guess what I'm looking for is a new cleanser that cleans deep down and actually helps keep acne at bay, while leaving my skin as non-irritated as the Spectro Jel does (I know I know, wouldn't everybody like something like this).

I was thinking about ordering some of that Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash, because all the reviews I've read about it say that it is extremely gentle and doesn't strip the face of its natural oils, and also helps clear acne quite well. As well, I've already ordered some of their Oil-Free Formula AHA lotion, and was thinking about switching over to Alpha Hydrox products only. However, sodium chloride and sodium laureth sulfate are listed as ingredients, and I've read that they are both irritating and comedogenic, which makes me weary of trying it out. I once tried Clean and Clear Sensitive Skin foaming cleanser (which has identical ingredients to Purpose Gentle Cleanser, except for C&C contains perfume and sodium chloride), and it really dried out my skin.

Any suggestions? I really need to find a good, non-irritating, deep-cleaning facial cleanser to add to my regimen. Thanks.

Oh, geez....I was about to say Clean and Clear Sensitive Skin.....then I noticed you have already tried the product. :doh:

Several years ago, I tried this product called Beauty Naturally Purifying Cleanser. It was gentle on my skin but unfortunately, I had to discontinue it due to nasal allergies. It might work for you. Here's the link: http://www.beautynaturally.com/phloplux1.html#purifycle

I have tried Dan's cleanser and the Zirh "wash" cleaner. The Zirh cleanser lathers very well and leaves the skin feeling much better. Dan's cleanser actually dried me out a little and I have very oily skin.

The Zirh cleaner looks pretty cool, but I really don't think I can afford to make it my daily cleanser (I'm on a college budget, and I tend to use pretty generous amounts of product when I'm washing my face). Same with the Beauty Naturally Products, not really within my budget. That why I was kind of leaning towards Dan's cleanser, it's seems to be a quality product and the price is right. However, I'm still interested in hearing some more suggestions, preferably something that can be found in stores in Canada. Once again, thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

I was trying to find Purpose cleanser a while back, but I found out that they do not sell their products in Canada (it seems like nobody does, except for your extremely basic brands such as Spectro, Neutrogena, and C&C). I tried the C&C Sensitive Skin foaming cleanser a few months ago, because it has identical ingredients to Purpose (except the Canadian version has sodium chloride added to it :dry: ). It really dried my face out after a couple of weeks, and I had to discontinue use. It felt like it completely sucked all oils from my face, including the good ones. Plus Purpose has Sodium Laureth Sulfate in it, which is an ingredient that I'd really like to distance myself from. I've don't understand why so many "gentle" cleansers have so many irritating and comedogenic ingredients in them.

I know I'm making this really hard, my skin is just really stubborn and hates most products. But thanks again for all of the suggestions, keep em' coming.

I was trying to find Purpose cleanser a while back, but I found out that they do not sell their products in Canada (it seems like nobody does, except for your extremely basic brands such as Spectro, Neutrogena, and C&C). I tried the C&C Sensitive Skin foaming cleanser a few months ago, because it has identical ingredients to Purpose (except the Canadian version has sodium chloride added to it :dry: ). It really dried my face out after a couple of weeks, and I had to discontinue use. It felt like it completely sucked all oils from my face, including the good ones. Plus Purpose has Sodium Laureth Sulfate in it, which is an ingredient that I'd really like to distance myself from. I've don't understand why so many "gentle" cleansers have so many irritating and comedogenic ingredients in them.

I know I'm making this really hard, my skin is just really stubborn and hates most products. But thanks again for all of the suggestions, keep em' coming.

there is an alpha hydrox cleanser (not sure if it foams) that does NOT contain SLS. it's from their "original" line and comes in a tall thin bottle. check it out.

I think I know the one you're talking about (there's only one facial cleanser in their Original line), the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Facial Cleanser right? It actually does contain SLS, although probably a small amount, seeing as it is one of the last ingredients listed. I was thinking about buying it because it seems to be highly recommended in the reviews page, but I'm still a little hasty because of the couple of irritating ingredients. I guess I won't really know until I try though, maybe I'll order a couple bottles of it sometime (it's on sale this month, buy one get one half price).

I just bought some Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser based off some good reviews. I'll let you know how it is.

I like Aveeno oatmeal soap. Gentle but seems to really clean well. Be sure to get the oatmeal kind. I accidently got the soy one and didn't like it. It comes in bar form. I also use Kiss my Face olive oil bar soap. There are a bunch of different formulas like tea tree etc, I use the one with honey.