Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There are a lot of people on this site who seem to swear that using baking soda as a face wash has kept their skin clear. While I do not doubt them, this absolutely baffles me. Baking Soda is basic and healthy skin is supposed to be acidic...

So how is it possible that the pH of the skin is disrupted and there is no acne? (pH of Baking Soda is about 8)

The role of pH in Acne

As outlined above, the skin’s pH is important and maintaining a slightly acidic pH of around 5.5 is critical.

The skin’s pH value is one of the major contributors to acne and other skin problems. Propionibacterium acnes is a bacteria that normally lives on the skin and is a normal bacteria found in all persons regardless of the presence or absence of acne.

However, in individuals prone to acne, the number of P. acnes is greatly increased. It has been found that the growth of this bacteria is very much dependent on the pH value of the skin and its growth is at its minimum at the normal skin pH of 5.5. A slight shift towards the alkaline pH would provide a better environment in which it can thrive.

there was a thread a while back that showed that baking soda is bad bad bad for your skin. and i guess just because theres no acne doesnt mean it isnt doing harm. maybe its just the baking soda's exfolation that clears peoples skin?? but in the long run im sure its a bad idea.

Possibly, but Mr. Biochemist 2 posts above, can you offer any reasons as to why it may be working? Do you also think it is exfoliation?

I used it once and found it way too abrasive and drying. Don't use it!

For some people it works and others it doesn't I use it as an exfoliator and it works quite well if you do it right, rubbing hard can do more harm than good, obviously.

After I wash off the baking soda I balance the ph by putting ACV on my face.

Works for me.

Baking soda's active ingredient is actually sodium bicarbonate, this can oxidize things similar to benzoyl peroxide, when it oxidizes the solution that the bacteria sits in, the bacteria can't survive and die off. The problem with baking soda is that it is usually damaging to the skin like peroxide and should be used in small portions with water if at all.

My past experience with this has been a drastic improvement and then with continued use breakouts as the bacteria apparently stopped responding to it. possible resistance it seems.

Stick the benzoyl peroxide for better results.