Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kelsie123

Please give me your advice

Hey all, I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have a good drug store brand powder foundation to recommend? I don't wear makeup too often, but jut want a powder foundation to wear every now and again. The liquid ones make my oily face look not so hot...

2. Has anyone had a perm and what was your experience with it? I have boring straight hair and I've always wanted curly hair but I'm not sure if a perm would get the desired effect...

I would say out of drug store brands neutrogena is the best in my opinion, I didn't break out when I used them. Also for perms I would say dont do it - my cousin had straight hair years ago and wanted curly hair and after a few weeks her hair started falling out and she had to spend so much money on products just to maintain it. She ended up having to cut her hair really short and let it grow out til it was back to her natural straight hair. If you want curly hair just buy some products to scrunch it this way if you get tired of the curly hair you can do it straight and change it up.

I used to get perms regularly for about six years ( back in the mid 80's to early 90's.) Not worth it IMO, but the process may have changed or techniques may have improved since 1991. :lol: If you can get a nice loose wavy look that is in vogue now, though, it may be worth trying. If you hate it, you can always grow it out and it'll fade in the process of doing so.

As for drug store make-up, I have few suggestions since I'm a dept store brand girl myself, ;) Although, Loreal had a decent concealer I tried last summer. It is part of the True Match line, I think. Have you looked at any of Mary Kays' stuff? It is better than drug store brand make up, and the price isn't as bad as the dept store stuff. I also like Clinique's stuff for the price, but their foundations are too yellow for my skin tone. They may work for you though.

If you have really straight hair, perms can be a bit tricky. My sister regularly gets perms now, so I can give you a few tips that she had...

One thing is you have to grow your hair out longer, because the perm will shorten your hair a lot more than you'd expect. Imagine it being shorter by 1/4 or so (depending on how much of a curl you get). I think the best kind of perms on girls nowadays are the long, thick flowy waves (those ones that all of the celebrities are so favoring).

Also, it's good to avoid hair coloring, if you're doing a perm, because I remember my sister did that and she ended up damaging her hair a bit. Also remember that a good haircut for straight hair may not look the same on permed hair.

Don't get a perm. Maybe a body wave, but no perms. It will damage your hair and take years for you to undo the damage. Invest in a good set of Rollers and some setting lotion. I have stick straight hair, I've learned to embrace it by using a flat iron and having layers to give it body. When your hair is straight and fine you have to have the right haircut. It makes the biggest difference in the world. Layers, Layers, Layers, Curling iron or rollers.

Yeah, most people seem to be against the perm idea. I dunno what I'm going to do. I definitely can't spend hours in the mornings getting ready. I also hennaed my hair recently and I think that might affect it. Oh well, thanks for the advice.

I have use Mary Kay. I love the liquid stuff, but the cream to powder stuff is pretty thick and waxy.