Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You know looking back, I find myself angry at how insensitive they were. Their lack of understanding and sympathy to my pain.

I had gone to a Dermatologist who would be in the room less than 2 mins, to look at my back and fill a perscription. I literally had to ask questions on his way out the door to get him to stay longer. I mean I took a shower!

I had gone to two Cosmetic Doctors that featured "laser treatments" as part of their services. Each time when I asked about the SmoothBeam, not only were they discouraging, they made me feel like there was nothing they could do for active acne, and that I was making a big deal over it.

Finally, I think about my family and most of them really didn't help or offered to find a solutions to my condition, which to me had been pretty moderate to serious. You would think if this is someone you love, wouldn't you do all that you could to help them?

I realize now how much this condition prevented me from living my life. It's stopped me from going to the beach, intimacy, allowing someone to touch in fear they would feel it on my back.

Everyone kept telling me "Oh you'll grow out of it when you become an adult." Well here I am at 33yrs old and it's here and making in roads it seems to the rest of my body leaving scares and abused skin in it's wake.

I can't even begin to describe the pain and emotional distress I feel over it. I don't even want to leave my home for anything unless I absolutely need it.

The part that hurts the most is the self inflicted emotional pain I go through the negative self-talk. Throuh counceling I am working through this and I am a lot better that I have in the past.

But why do people who are suppose to help you say the things that will hold you back? When I told my Dermatologist I was going to start exercising, he said that I would sweat and would break out more. Well mybe he was misinformed, but he was down right wrong. It made a huge difference in my mind and body, all good ones.

It just goes to show you that only you can make you happy, you need to make a choice and say "I didn't do anything to deserve this, and I am going to do something about it!" It was nearly impossible to do it alone, I found that I needed to work through the emotional side in therapy to help me really deal with it.

Each day is truly a struggle, and it's all in my mind. I stll have moderate acne scars on my face. I recently got a webcam and it's pretty low end and I saw a picture of myself on the screen and because its low end, and the lighting I saw my face for the first time with out the scares or any acne for the first time. I said to myself "I never truly saw myself before without the scares on my face, I can't believe the difference."

It was so wonderful to see myself without these physical flaws, I actually felt attractive for the first time in my life. I felt happy about my appearance on the web cam, too bad I couldn't look like that in real life. But it gave me hope that one day it would be possible for it to be gone for good. Everyone should experience what it is like to see yourself without all the acne scars and really see who you really are.

No one but you truly knows how it feels to have these problems with your skin, no one who's never had this experience could understand the emotional effects or how it's held you back from living your life.

The day I am free from active acne free is the day I will turly be happy. The day I am also acne scar free is a day I will finally feel like the person I was always meant to be.

I realize now what has been holding me back from living my life, and I can't let it hold me back anymore. Maybe I will actually make it out the door tomorrow.

why dont u go on accutane? at 33 and still nithing working it seems like it would be a good idea..and dont worry about webcams, because that is what you look like, to other people u would be surprised that they can see you and not just the acne scars aswell. anyway, i feel like everything will come your way soon..don't give up just yet.

why dont u go on accutane? at 33 and still nithing working it seems like it would be a good idea..and dont worry about webcams, because that is what you look like, to other people u would be surprised that they can see you and not just the acne scars aswell. anyway, i feel like everything will come your way soon..don't give up just yet.

Scorpious, when did you start having acne? Just wondering. My name's Zul and I suffer from severe acne. I'm 19 at the end of this year and I started having acne at age 15.

If I was a ruler of the world the first thing I would do is kill every single dermotolgist in the nation. These guys are the most under knowledged individuals I have ever witnessed. These guys are not real doctors. They are pathetic. They have no idea how the body works and how acne is developed. All they believe is a couple spot treatments or topicals and infest your body with chemical pills that will only do good for the short term. Moderate to Severe acne is from within the body. Not frrom the surface. It has very little to do with your skin. Your skin just expresses it. ITs a hormonal imbalance and nutrutional defieciencies. Why do you think women break out during there cycles? Hormonal imbalance. No derm is ever going to tell you this. they want your 50 bucks every visit. No pill or cream will solve acne in the long run (minus accutane, but you pay for it severely) Again Derms do not know what acne is nor do they understand the cause.

And really I dont mean to disrespect Dan or anyone here using topicals or really thinking BP is going to be there Savior. I will say keep dreaming. Sorry it is the truth. BP wil help minor to mild sufferes who have a few pimples here and there. It Will NOT do jack for severe nodular cystic acne.

find a new dermatlogist. there are a few dicks out there who seem almost heartless. but there are people who understand. why don't you give antibiotics or accutane a try through another physician. you can also try cortisone injections for instant acne cures. for smoothbeam, i tried it and it made me break out even more. I've got additional scars because of smoothbeam... so ya, at least your doc told you straight-up front about that one.

I live in South Florida as well Scorpious, if you want I can give you the number of the derm that cleared me up. He's probably pretty close to where you live, his office is on Oakland Park Blvd. and University. PM me if you want.

Yes, I have done Accutane twice before, and each time I was taken off because of my liver and the harm Accutane was having in my body before I could complete the full course.

Currently I am doing SmoothBeam laser for my back level 11, had my first treatment on Tuesday. I definitely feel that my skin is smoother, it doesn't seem to be as red as it usually is. It's hard for me to judge it just yet. I need to take some pictures of my back and see if there is any visual progress.

I am going to Dr. Janee Steinberg in Taramac (Fort Lauderdale) and There is a Physician's Assistant who's conducting the treatment for my entire back.

mzbs17 I started having acne around 15-16 years old on the face mainly, it was quite severe and very painful. Around 20 is when it decided to go south to my back and then it spread to the center of my chest.

Now my face is 95% clear but now I am getting some break outs around the mouth (yuk!). I still have all my acne scares to address next.

So I stopped using PanOxyl Bar 10% BP its drying my face too much and making it flake and I believe is the cause of my breakout.

I finally found a laser center that really geniunely cares about their patients. I can't even begin to tell you. When I think about it, I start to tear up. I don't want to give my money to people who don't really care. I really felt strongly about the sincere way they felt when I talked to Gaile about it, shes the PA who I went in for the initial consultation.

She has been doing the laser treatments for years and when smoothbeam came out they were the first to get it. She gave me real hope that this might finally be the end of this horrible condition that's held me as a prisoner.

Just knowing that they really really care and that they have had many successes with other patience made all the difference in the world. I felt so passionate about it, I am even considering making it my career.

I don't want anyone who's gone through what I have to suffer unnecessarily. Life is short enough, I've allow this to take years away from living my life, and I can't let it take another second more.

I remain very bitter towards those doctors who didn't care. I found it to be very cruel. For a doctor who's suppose to care giver, they sucked.

Finch - Yes I will PM you, thanks for the help!! smile.gif And yes it's not that far from me at all!

Thank you all for the feedback, it's so great to be here. I don't feel like I need to face this alone anymore.

Hi Scorpious,

Go out and get some Spironolactone. I know a guy who put up with cysts for 27 years, and was cleared by Spironolactone in 2 weeks.

You know looking back, I find myself angry at how insensitive they were.  Their lack of understanding and sympathy to my pain. 

I had gone to a Dermatologist who would be in the room less than 2 mins, to look at my back and fill a perscription.  I literally had to ask questions on his way out the door to get him to stay longer.  I mean I took a shower! 

I had gone to two Cosmetic Doctors that featured \"laser treatments\" as part of their services.  Each time when I asked about the SmoothBeam, not only were they discouraging, they made me feel like there was nothing they could do for active acne, and that I was making a big deal over it.

Finally, I think about my family and most of them really didn't help or offered to find a solutions to my condition, which to me had been pretty moderate to serious. You would think if this is someone you love, wouldn't you do all that you could to help them?

I realize now how much this condition prevented me from living my life. It's stopped me from going to the beach, intimacy, allowing someone to touch in fear they would feel it on my back. 

Everyone kept telling me \"Oh you'll grow out of it when you become an adult.\"  Well here I am at 33yrs old and it's here and making in roads it seems to the rest of my body leaving scares and abused skin in it's wake.

I can't even begin to describe the pain and emotional distress I feel over it.  I don't even want to leave my home for anything unless I absolutely need it. 

The part that hurts the most is the self inflicted emotional pain I go through the negative self-talk.  Throuh counceling I am working through this and I am a lot better that I have in the past.

But why do people who are suppose to help you say the things that will hold you back?  When I told my Dermatologist I was going to start exercising, he said that I would sweat and would break out more.  Well mybe he was misinformed, but he was down right wrong.  It made a huge difference in my mind and body, all good ones.

It just goes to show you that only you can make you happy, you need to make a choice and say \"I didn't do anything to deserve this, and I am going to do something about it!\"  It was nearly impossible to do it alone, I found that I needed to work through the emotional side in therapy to help me really deal with it.

Each day is truly a struggle, and it's all in my mind.  I stll have moderate acne scars on my face.  I recently got a webcam and it's pretty low end and I saw a picture of myself on the screen and because its low end, and the lighting I saw my face for the first time with out the scares or any acne for the first time.  I said to myself \"I never truly saw myself before without the scares on my face, I can't believe the difference.\"

It was so wonderful to see myself without these physical flaws, I actually felt attractive for the first time in my life. I felt happy about my appearance on the web cam, too bad I couldn't look like that in real life.  But it gave me hope that one day it would be possible for it to be gone for good.  Everyone should experience what it is like to see yourself without all the acne scars and really see who you really are.

No one but you truly knows how it feels to have these problems with your skin, no one who's never had this experience could understand the emotional effects or how it's held you back from living your life.

The day I am free from active acne free is the day I will turly be happy. The day I am also acne scar free is a day I will finally feel like the person I was always meant to be.

I realize now what has been holding me back from living my life, and I can't let it hold me back anymore.  Maybe I will actually make it out the door tomorrow.

what is Spironolactone? Where can I buy some? A lot of dermatologists are asses, I was lucky to find one whose assistants were nice to me and gave me a few free cortisone shots and samples of stuff, I didn't get to met the doctor until the end of my treatment cause he was never around.

Spironolactone actually reduces the amount of testosterone produced at the adrenal gland, and competes with androgen at androgen receptor sites. It is precsibed to men; remember, it is designed to treat high blood pressure in both sexes first and foremost. It does not affect the blood pressure in those whose blood pressure is normal to begin with. Dermatologists usually just give men a lower dose, because it can stunt your sex drive if taken at high doses. It is more effective than Accutane, and probably safer too.

Its a short trip from riding the waves of change to being torn apart by the jaws of defeat.

you know I refuse to go to a dermatologist who treats you so poorly. And the next time I have a bad experience like that, I will tell the docor that I didn't appreciate the way he treated me and will NOT be returning.

You know Doctors are suppose to be caregivers, it's not MY FAULT the HMO's are making their lives difficult. I thuink some Docotors are way over paid for such treatment.

I mean I really want him to explain whats happening to my body.

Half the time he tells me that they don't know why acne happens OR how or why certain tropical creams work. HE COULDN"T TELL ME HOW IT WORKED! I mean what the hell is going on?

I am a firm believer that doctors want you to keep coming back again and again so they can keep making money off of you. If they found a cure for acne they would lose a lot of money, so they put you on things that maintain your condition not eliminate it entirely.

It really makes me mad as hell.

"I am a firm believer that doctors want you to keep coming back again and again so they can keep making money off of you. If they found a cure for acne they would lose a lot of money, so they put you on things that maintain your condition not eliminate it entirely."

This is very true. Some doctors are good and really want to help you. Others are just out for the money, sadly. It's really frustrating. My derm gave me meds that made me worse and THEN prescribed something that just took me back to where I was before! sad.gif

I am a firm believer that doctors want you to keep coming back again and again so they can keep making money off of you.  If they found a cure for acne they would lose a lot of money, so they put you on things that maintain your condition not eliminate it entirely.

It really makes me mad as hell.

Well the good news is that I had my 2nd Laser Treatment.

After my treatment, the PA who was doing the treatment told me next tie to numb the back of my neck (where my hair line is), and a spot on my chest where I am breaing out and she would zap them for me next time on top of the back.

I think it was the first time someone actually cared more about making me feel better about my condition instead of wacking me for more money for every little procedure, but the areas are very smll and would only take her a few mins.

I was driving back about about 45mins from the treatment and I was on the phone with my sister and I started to tear up because it felt so good after soooooo long of feeling like I was being treated like a freak by doctors to finally have someone who not only treated me the SAME the entire time, didnt flinch, or anything and actually cared more about making me feel better! I can't tell you how happy and good that makes me feel.

I did not realize how much it emotionally sensitive I was about it. Why couldn't it had been like this each time I went to other doctors? Maybe I wouldn't of been so bad emotionally for as long as I have if they just did the human thing and care.

Now I got to tell you my friends and family say "it's no big deal" and "oh, its not so bad, it looks better".. well it's been getting "better" for many many years and it only looks worse to me. I feel like they say it just to make you feel better and not tell me the truth in how they feel. It's one thing to give someone hope, but not false hope about something you're going through.

The best thing anyone can do is be truthful (not brutally about it) but honest, because "saying" its looking better doesn't help, it only hurts.