Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
astralsolace

Rosacea less red in morning, worse as day progresses?

Is this common for rosacea sufferers? When I first wake up in the morning, my face is much lighter, barely red. It gets redder as the day progresses--usually after I take my hot shower in the morning, it gets to the "normal" level of redness.

I would think it has something to do with blood flow due to lying down, but if I try lying down and not sleeping, it doesn't lighten up. Maybe it's only when I'm lying for a long time, like sleeping?

Anyway, has anybody else experienced this?

YESSS!!!

that is exactly what happens to me. I used to try different things on my face at night time and because i always woke up with less red skin i used to think everything i used was good for me!

im not sure what it is but check this....recently i broke my wrist and had to sit in hospital for a few days just bored so i jus slept really. Everyday my face got less and less and less red.Now I'm out for about a week its back to normal.

I completely agree with you but I'm not sure how to keep that morning skin!! :wacko:

Me too man me too. Wake up and look in the mirror "wow I look great", go take a piss, eat breakfast, go back to the mirror "wow i look like crap". I think I might know what it is. STRESS, I know its an intangable but honestly the more stressed out I get the worse my skin looks. I think you going to sleep puts you in a state of total relaxation and thus making your face less red. After being up for a bit all the stress of dealing with life comes back and so does the redness.

Now the above statement is just speculation but I have a little bit of in home science to back it up. I take bars (xanax) recreationally every once in a while. /flameshieldon (you can go ahead and do whatever you want, I DON'T CARE). O.K. now for the science. Xanax is used to calm you down. Its an anti anxiety medication. When you take it, frankly you feel great. You get nice and screwed up and all your worries and cares melt away, you also become a bit reckless (be careful you could cause a couple fights telling that jacked guy to feck off ). But in this barred out state you're still very coherent and can tell what is going on. When I look in the mirror BAM no redness. As soon as the bar starts kicking in, the stress melts away and so does the redness. Don't know what the deal is, only that when the stress is gone so is the redness.

my face is also much less red when i first wake up...

i have started taking cooler showers (just warm, really) but invariably my cheeks get red soon after waking up. wish i knew what this meant?

you guys try eucerin redness relief cleanser? i got it a few weeks ago and it's working well so far. perfect for sensitive skin. this site i ran into has some pretty good info. topicboom(dot)com. click on acne. might help!

Me too man me too. Wake up and look in the mirror "wow I look great", go take a piss, eat breakfast, go back to the mirror "wow i look like crap". I think I might know what it is. STRESS, I know its an intangable but honestly the more stressed out I get the worse my skin looks. I think you going to sleep puts you in a state of total relaxation and thus making your face less red. After being up for a bit all the stress of dealing with life comes back and so does the redness.

Now the above statement is just speculation but I have a little bit of in home science to back it up. I take bars (xanax) recreationally every once in a while. /flameshieldon (you can go ahead and do whatever you want, I DON'T CARE). O.K. now for the science. Xanax is used to calm you down. Its an anti anxiety medication. When you take it, frankly you feel great. You get nice and screwed up and all your worries and cares melt away, you also become a bit reckless (be careful you could cause a couple fights telling that jacked guy to feck off ). But in this barred out state you're still very coherent and can tell what is going on. When I look in the mirror BAM no redness. As soon as the bar starts kicking in, the stress melts away and so does the redness. Don't know what the deal is, only that when the stress is gone so is the redness.

I experimented with that too. It really is powerful/amazing. This was before I had acne though. You're absolutely right about it calming you down though.

As I always say, "It's times like these I need a xanax"

I'm a 25 year old woman that has dealt with Rosacea since I was 16, therefore, I'm an anomoly, but I've also had a lot of experience with it.

I've noticed a lot of factors contributing to rosacea getting worse throughout the day. The first thing on the list is hot showers. Any extreme in temperature can make your face turn red quickly and last all day. The next thing on my list is hot coffee. The third is stress.

So, my recommendations are: take a luke warm shower (believe me you get used to it and its better for your skin all around), wait for your coffee to cool down a little before drinking it (I put it in a mug and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes before drinking) or just stop drinking coffee/tea all together, and, lastly, do some yoga or stretches in the morning to get yourself nice and relaxed for the day ahead.

I hope this helps!

Yes I've noticed I wake up in the morning with normal coloring. When your sleeping the blood vessels in your face can't really spasm that much because there is nothing triggering it. I think the hot showers put stress on your skin because of the vast temperature change.

Anyone who either has Rosacea or thinks they do should stop the hot (or cold) showers immediately. Temperature shifts like that are a big no-no. Even if you don't have Rosacea, shifts like that can lead to visible face veins (thread veins).

All my marks/blemishes always look better in the morning. It's most likely due to sleep being the time when our bodies heal up the most and products you use before sleeping can maximize their potential while your sleeping..Also blood flow and circulation balances more while you sleep, so once you wake up and as the day progresses, blood flow to the face will increase again, especially if you have a stressful day or hard labor. Also when I wash my face in the morning and take a shower, a lot of my marks/redness show more so than when I just wake up.

this thread looks pretty inactive but I'm definitely the opposite of you guys...........my face is the WORST in the mornings and gets better as the day progresses! Weird!

When I first wake up in the morning, my face is much lighter, barely red.

This is consistent with the theory (mine) that rosacea and acne are both auto-immune diseases that result from not having a normal melatonin cycle.

Like acne, rosacea is linked to excess superoxide anions. Or, looking at it from the flip side, an insufficient quantity of superoxide dismutase to clean up the superoxide anions. Melatonin upregulates the superoxide dismutase gene. Many patients likely achieve some nocturnal melatonin surge, just not enough to prevent their particular auto-immune disease. Hence, their acne inflammation or rosacea is likely to be dampened first thing in the morning (but not enough superoxide dismutase to last all day).

OTOH, if you've truly screwed your melatonin cycle all to hell (e.g., working a swing shift), it should be possible to have sleep without much melatonin surge at all, and wake up finding your face actually worse in the morning.

Oh that's pretty damn interesting databased............I work straight 12 hours night shifts, and my face is worst when I wake up in the "mornings" aka in my world that means afternoons...........your theory is pretty interesting, thanks for your reply.

Is it possible that facial redness can be triggered by stress?

You are peaceful while asleep, which allows your skin to calm down, but when you get up in the morning, stress builds up throughout the day which causes your face to flush.

Try having an extremely peaceful weekend next weekend, dont let anything stress you out, perhaps do some meditation, and just try and keep yourself as relaxed as possible, and see how your skin looks at the end of the day.