Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reprobate

First time poster: pasty white and burned by BP

Greetings,

I'm a long-time lurker and a first-time poster. I would like to thank Dan for his very informative and useful website. Also, thanks to all the awesome posters who are candid with their own issues. Anyways, I will give you a little background before I proceed with my problem(s).

I started the system several months back. Unfortately, I had to quit more than once due to excessive redness, itching, dryness and soreness. I guess you could say I was burned (in the opinion of my friends it was very bad). I have tried an assorted collection of different variations on Dan's system and have discovered that I cannot use Benzoyl Peroxide in the recommended fashion. This is probably related to my sensitive skin. I should add that I'm very white (pasty white according to a friend) and would like to improve my skin tone as well-if possible.

Even though I poorly tolerate the regimen in general, I have discovered that most of my nose tolerates BP without any redness. Also, if I apply moisturizer before and after applying the BP, I can treat other small areas or individual pimples. My nose is the area of my face w/ the most acne, probably due to my habit of rubbing my nose (allergies).

So the good news is that I can use it with regularity on my nose (I follow the system almost perfectly on my nose). Also, if I'm extremely careful I can treat very small clusters of pimples or bumps as I see them. I wish I could use this as a preventative measure, but my hypersensitivity makes this almost impossible.

I'm wondering if anybody has any alternative ideas besides using a lot of moisturizer before and after applying my BP. It would be ideal to have a solution to cover my entire face. I'm currently using Basis for a cleanser, Cetaphil for a moisturizer, and OnTheSpot 2.5% BP. Also, I taken Flax Seed Oil and a B-complex vitamin. I'm a lacto-vegetarian, and just had extensive blood work (everything in normal range). I have had pretty good results so far with my modified approach. Also, does anybody have any ideas on improving my pasty white skin?

Thank you,

Jeffrey J.

Some people have had alot of luck with SA (Salyic Acid), an alcohol toner found in most medicated acne treatments. It's not near as drying as the BP, and it doesn't make your skin so sensitive to the sunlight.

Some people have had alot of luck with SA (Salyic Acid), an alcohol toner found in most medicated acne treatments. It's not near as drying as the BP, and it doesn't make your skin so sensitive to the sunlight.

Thanks for the feedback. That is precisely what the last dermatologist told me to try next. I suffered more severe acne in my teenage years and younger adult years (I'm 33) when I last tried salicylic acid (Clearasil pads I think). It was an unsuccessful attempt, but then again failed acne treatments were pretty much the norm back then. If I remember correctly, SA is found naturally in willow bark and is much less abrasive.

My spot treatments with BP would be hard to give up given the good success, but this MIGHT be the more 'global' solution I'm looking for. Thanks for the feedback,

Jeffrey