Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelly~~

Detox/ IB from cutting out fat?

Hi everyone.

Over the past few weeks I've been making an effort to eat healthier (I realise that word is highly subjective around here, :-p). I've increased my intake of fruit and vegetables and cut back on red meat, refined crap, sugar etc. [this post isn't about my choices there so please don't try and dissuade or persuade me with that, thanks :) ]

For the past 3 days I've cut way back on my intake of dietary fat and decided to keep it to a minimum (no overt oils or fats). At a guess, I'd say I've been getting around 30g of fat per day.

I think this change in itself is causing some detox symptoms. At first it seemed to calm my acne but now I'm breaking out. Do you think this is normal? How long do you think this will last? Has anyone had experience with cutting back on fat?

Also, please don't reply saying I shouldn't cut back on fat, I'd appreciate responses only from those who have switched to a lower-fat diet and could share their experience of the initial transition phase :)

Thanks!

This is quite normal and happens to most people who switch to this kind of diet. Your body starts tossing the garbage out and that might make a bit of a mess.

Healing and getting clear is a bit like dance. You take two steps forward and one step back. Then again two steps forward and one back.

It's hard to say how long these 'detox breakouts' last. For some people they pass quickly, but for some they stick much longer. But they will pass as long as you keep at it.

But you really need to keep an eye on your fat consumption. For many people mixing fruits with too much fat is the recipe for skin disaster. Exercise can fix things, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

If you haven't go to nutridiary.com and plug in your daily foods. That tells you how much fat you eat. I recommend this, because it's really, really easy to underestimate the fat you eat.

Beyond diet you need to plug in all the other elements also, like exercise, sleep, positive attitude, sunshine and fresh air.

A couple years back I was on a very low fat diet, not because I thought it would help my acne but because I was obsessed with my weight. I had the worst skin back then- it was dull, terribly borken out, and uneven. I cant remember if I had an IB when doing it though.

Most people who found a nutritional cure to acne on this forum did so on High Fat, Low Carb diets. If you take away all dietary fats and only use some vegetable oils you will create higher sugar spikes (in the blood) and probably an imbalance in the omega 6- omega 3 omega 9 levels in your body. I personally tried to "cleanse" from within with lots of fruit, veggies, fibre (mostly from brown rice, pasta etc) and low fat, only using vegetable fats. This made my acne 10 times worse, I kept telling myself my body was cleansing itself and the good old "it gets worse before it gets better". Now I eat lots of meat, fish, poultry, eggs, butter, lard, and some veggies to go with it. The cave man diet has helped many here, try it and you´ll see that your body will respond (it has helped many with diabetes, reumatism, IBS, over/underweight, low energy levels etc!) It´s also called Atkins, Paleo, LCHF (low carb high fat) - all these are similar in that they use natural fats instead of industrial fats (for example margarine). They have some differences, Google them and you´ll see. (there are many articles saying that these diets are very dangerous and that you will DIE from all the fats. I think that´s rubbish, I´ve never felt better and there are lots of people agreeing with me, the only loosers are the food and medicine industries, since most people who follow these diets can stop taking medicins (or at least lower the dosages) and prefer to buy whole foods instead of industrial foods.)

I am on the Low-fat, Low-GI diet.

I saw results at the end of 3 weeks (exactly)... but found I must be VERY strict.

In my diet, I keep each meal less than 4 grams of fat. I always pick whole grains.

I'm not sure what you are eating, but my diet does not allow: lean meats, avacados, nuts, egg yolks, dairy products, almond milk, fried foods, oils...

I did have a few breakouts between week 1 and week 3...which made me lose confidence. But by week three, my problems were considerably lessened.

There is a book out on your diet if you want to read about it and what is happening in your body... which includes GREAT recipes.... if you want the title, message me :).

Most people who found a nutritional cure to acne on this forum did so on High Fat, Low Carb diets. If you take away all dietary fats and only use some vegetable oils you will create higher sugar spikes (in the blood) and probably an imbalance in the omega 6- omega 3 omega 9 levels in your body. I personally tried to "cleanse" from within with lots of fruit, veggies, fibre (mostly from brown rice, pasta etc) and low fat, only using vegetable fats. This made my acne 10 times worse, I kept telling myself my body was cleansing itself and the good old "it gets worse before it gets better". Now I eat lots of meat, fish, poultry, eggs, butter, lard, and some veggies to go with it. The cave man diet has helped many here, try it and you´ll see that your body will respond (it has helped many with diabetes, reumatism, IBS, over/underweight, low energy levels etc!) It´s also called Atkins, Paleo, LCHF (low carb high fat) - all these are similar in that they use natural fats instead of industrial fats (for example margarine). They have some differences, Google them and you´ll see. (there are many articles saying that these diets are very dangerous and that you will DIE from all the fats. I think that´s rubbish, I´ve never felt better and there are lots of people agreeing with me, the only loosers are the food and medicine industries, since most people who follow these diets can stop taking medicins (or at least lower the dosages) and prefer to buy whole foods instead of industrial foods.)

Which would be the best fat sources on a low carb diet? Im not sure i'll go high fat exactly, since im having success with normal fat intake. But im not eating butter or anything like that.

Im thinking about trying out fish again, but that might not be enough though.

Thanks for the answers everyone

sepsi - it's exam time at uni so yes, i do need to work on a few other areas of my health too.. that would probably help. thanks for your response.

0read - thanks for sharing your experiences.

mamita - thanks for the advice but going on a high-fat, high-protein diet is not something i want to do. I'm glad you've found something that works for you tho! although i can't help but notice your response seemed to willfully ignore the requests in my original post, lol.. it's all good though :)

dotty - thanks for the info. at the moment i'm just trying to reduce the fat i have with protein sources and in order to keep fat intake low i have been avoiding avocado or any overt fats, too.. i just might pm you in a while to get those recipes! :)

as it pans out, i have slightly calmed things down by beginning the 'no wash regime'.. this is also a heated topic around here but i haven't washed my face since around 5pm yesterday (it's about 11pm now) and it is a) not oily and b) not nearly as red as normal ... and i haven't gone more than, say, 15 hours, without washing my face (albeit with a very gentle hypoallergenic cleanser) in.. years? i dunno, but a long while.. anyway, that's where i'm at, and still trying to eat [what i see as] healthy :)

Thanks for the answers everyone

sepsi - it's exam time at uni so yes, i do need to work on a few other areas of my health too.. that would probably help. thanks for your response.

0read - thanks for sharing your experiences.

mamita - thanks for the advice but going on a high-fat, high-protein diet is not something i want to do. I'm glad you've found something that works for you tho! although i can't help but notice your response seemed to willfully ignore the requests in my original post, lol.. it's all good though :)

dotty - thanks for the info. at the moment i'm just trying to reduce the fat i have with protein sources and in order to keep fat intake low i have been avoiding avocado or any overt fats, too.. i just might pm you in a while to get those recipes! :)

as it pans out, i have slightly calmed things down by beginning the 'no wash regime'.. this is also a heated topic around here but i haven't washed my face since around 5pm yesterday (it's about 11pm now) and it is a) not oily and b) not nearly as red as normal ... and i haven't gone more than, say, 15 hours, without washing my face (albeit with a very gentle hypoallergenic cleanser) in.. years? i dunno, but a long while.. anyway, that's where i'm at, and still trying to eat [what i see as] healthy :)

part of the reason that people respond differently to different types of diets is that each body has a different metabolic type and can thrive on different types of foods. some people do well with low carb high protein/fat diet, some people do well on a diet low on fats. i have found that it just takes some patience and awareness to figure out what works best for your body and its unique needs. best of luck!

Hi everyone.

Over the past few weeks I've been making an effort to eat healthier (I realise that word is highly subjective around here, :-p). I've increased my intake of fruit and vegetables and cut back on red meat, refined crap, sugar etc. [this post isn't about my choices there so please don't try and dissuade or persuade me with that, thanks :) ]

For the past 3 days I've cut way back on my intake of dietary fat and decided to keep it to a minimum (no overt oils or fats). At a guess, I'd say I've been getting around 30g of fat per day.

I think this change in itself is causing some detox symptoms. At first it seemed to calm my acne but now I'm breaking out. Do you think this is normal? How long do you think this will last? Has anyone had experience with cutting back on fat?

Also, please don't reply saying I shouldn't cut back on fat, I'd appreciate responses only from those who have switched to a lower-fat diet and could share their experience of the initial transition phase :)

Thanks!

i have a very low fat diet and the extra breakouts may be from the detoxing. your body is most likely eliminating the toxins quickly and it should be clearer after this passes.

low fat is good but MAKE SURE you have a good source of omega 3's . I take Neptune krill oil in capsules every morning and it is very good and easy. I have been detoxing for two months and am currently on one now. This should help my hormones get back to balance, but you really do need your omega 3's.. they don't make you fat, they make your skin better and more beautiful and are needed by all the organs in your body.