Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tobias

Which form of calcium & magnesium?

Looking on iHerb the number of different forms of calcium & magnesium is staggering. I'm figuring 95%+ are probably crap, so which one is the best? And daily dosage? As a pertains to calcium seperate from magnesium, not a calcium&magnesium combined supplement (which I know will probably kill 2 birds with one stone but I'd rather know the forms and dosages needed first, before perhaps getting a joint one)

Looking on iHerb the number of different forms of calcium is staggering. I'm figuring 95%+ are probably crap, so which one is the best? And daily dosage?

Dosage 800mg perday. Look for a calcium supplement which includes magnesium and vitamin D, idealy. This will have you covered for the main bone health ingrediants.

I think a combo of Calcium Carbonate and Citrate is the best way too go.

Though Citrate is the best absorbed, I think the byproduct is Citric Acid, and too much that isn't necessarily good, though I forgot the specifics of it.

As for Magnesium, not a clue. Just make sure nothing is in the Oxide form, which is of low quality and I'm pretty sure it needs an anti-oxidant to break the bond.

I think a combo of Calcium Carbonate and Citrate is the best way too go.

Though Citrate is the best absorbed, I think the byproduct is Citric Acid, and too much that isn't necessarily good, though I forgot the specifics of it.

As for Magnesium, not a clue. Just make sure nothing is in the Oxide form, which is of low quality and I'm pretty sure it needs an anti-oxidant to break the bond.

In a comparison of different studies, calcium carbonate was found to be better-absorbed than calcium citrate on average.

Ok so calcium carbonate. 800mg, sounds a bit much?

And magnesium?

Take a 1:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium. So if 800 mg of calcium, match it with 800 mg of magnesium.

hmmm i actually read that the calcium to magnesium should be 2:1....dont quote me on it though, just tossing in my 2 cents.

Anyways, anyone have anything to say about calcium d-glucarate?

The best form of calcium is hydroxyapatite, it is the exact same form your body utilizes. Magnesium malate is a pretty good one as well.

Appreciate that bro! Ur thoughts on dosage? I was gonna go with 500mg for both.

Hey dingo what do you think of this? 3 a day would be the go. But is the malic acid content normal, I can't seem to figure out what it is and how much to get in a day?

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c...id=692&at=0

As for calcium, how about this, is the phosphorus good or bad. I'd be taking 2 a day

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c...id=459&at=0

I think both products are good products. I'm not an expert on what ratios of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus to take per day, but as long as you have adequete amounts of each (like 500mg of each or something) then you're fine. Phosphorus is so abundant in all foods (well, maybe except fruits) that no one should ever need supplements unless they are strictly fruitarian. I take magnesium malate, but not in that brand you listed. But it definitely can't hurt to take magnesium. Oh yeah, just so no one thinks I'm making this up: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/36/3/426 :)

I wouldn't lose any sleep over that! :hand:

Magnesium oxide is ok, provided you take it with a big meal to help ensure proper absorption.

In a comparison of different studies, calcium carbonate was found to be better-absorbed than calcium citrate on average.

Do you have a reference or citation for any "comparison" which claimed to find such a thing??

A lot of people are getting enough calcium in their diet. Like 60% of americans aren't getting enough magnesium. Next time you out shopping, pick up a bottle of Magnesium Oxide. And take 1 in the morning and 1 at night. I was taking 300% of the daily requirement until my magnesium level was normal, and it took about a month.

Do you have a reference or citation for any "comparison" which claimed to find such a thing??

Yes. Granted, it's not the most scientific thing I've ever seen, but I think it's safe enough to assume that calcium citrate isn't THAT much better absorbed than carbonate, and in some situations not at all:

http://www.stonyfieldfarms.com/Wellness/Mo....cfm?moos_id=54

Simply search on a reputable supplement website for bone health supplements. Look in there ingredients for a daily consumption of 800mg of calcium(as recommended daily allowance) magnesium and vitamin d will be dosed accordingly also.

Really no need to purchase them seperately.

Yes. Granted, it's not the most scientific thing I've ever seen, but I think it's safe enough to assume that calcium citrate isn't THAT much better absorbed than carbonate, and in some situations not at all:

http://www.stonyfieldfarms.com/Wellness/Mo....cfm?moos_id=54

Thanks! I appreciate your response.

What I like about that site is that the author cites the relevant medical literature to support her claims, including that first one where she provides a link to the full study. It's going to take me a while to study the whole thing, but I look forward to it. Considering that calcium citrate is known to be more soluble than calcium carbonate, I'll be intrigued to learn how the latter could POSSIBLY be absorbed better than the former! :think: