Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let me start out by saying I am better off than a lot of people who have life threatening illnesses or disabilities and this makes me feel guilty for making this topic but I feel like crap.

I have had acne for a year now and it seems to have faded away with prescription medicine but the red marks left behind are extremely visible and will not go away. It has been at least 3 months and they are still as plain as in the beginning.

Also my teeth seem to becoming very dull and getting a yellow tinge to them. I brush twice a day almost every day, use mouthwash, and try to floss every couple of days.

I also am very skinny and am not able to gain weight. I have actually lost weight over the past couple of months. I am 125 5'11".

The thing that kills me the most is I am doing at least what I have been told are the right things...

I do not drink soda, I eat relatively healthy food, I workout, I do what the dermatologist says. According to the doctor I am 100% healthy.

I have a great life and have a lot of things going for me, it's just that in the past year or so I have been extremely self conscious about my looks and frustrated about what has happened despite my lifestyle.

Does anyone have any words of advice or see anything that I am somehow missing?

If you're stressed your whole body and health will crumble.

As for marks, it's all just a matter of waiting, and not touching your face. I'm still struggling with this and I get new spots weekly because I can't control myself, but I try.

For the teeth thing, I have the same problem. I read that teeth color is partly due to genetics, but I started using Crest White Strips and they seem to be working well.

Weight problem, all it is, is a matter of eating. I used to say the same exact thing as you, but it truly is a matter of just eating more calories than your body burns up.

Only suggestion I have is to use an abrasive toothpaste, something to remove stains (ultrabright cost a dollar or two) and you could alternate that maybe every other day with an enamel building toothpaste (enamelon, if u can find it, or there are others) which will add gloss and shine to your teeth if they look dull.

If you're stressed your whole body and health will crumble.

As for marks, it's all just a matter of waiting, and not touching your face. I'm still struggling with this and I get new spots weekly because I can't control myself, but I try.

For the teeth thing, I have the same problem. I read that teeth color is partly due to genetics, but I started using Crest White Strips and they seem to be working well.

Weight problem, all it is, is a matter of eating. I used to say the same exact thing as you, but it truly is a matter of just eating more calories than your body burns up.

Trust me, you may think you're eating enough but you most likely aren't.

How about this, tomorrow, track the amount of calories and proteins you eat. You need about 25 calories per pound in order to gain weight, so you need to be eating at least 3125 calories to make weight.

Read this article: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/gainingmass.php

Also PM Necromancer, he's got the most amazing Deadlift progress I've ever seen, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help you out.

I'm not sure how old you are but it could just take a few years for you to put on more weight and "fill out" or bulk up. I see this a lot where people are skinny in their late teens and early twenties and a few years later they look really different. Everyones body grows and stops growing at different times. Nonetheless, I would get a different doctors opinion on the situation if you're really concerned about it.

As far as the red marks go they take time...a lot of time, but just keep your skin clear with your prescriptions and they will fade. Don't forget, everyone with acne has them and has to put up with waiting for them to fade. A product containing AHA may speed up the process a bit

Have you ever tried Crest White Strips? I think they work pretty well and although they're a bit pricey you only have to use them once a year I think.

Just look around the boards and maybe you'll find some more answers, good luck to you

How about this, tomorrow, track the amount of calories and proteins you eat. You need about 25 calories per pound in order to gain weight, so you need to be eating at least 3125 calories to make weight.

Also PM Necromancer, he's got the most amazing Deadlift progress I've ever seen, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

One thing I am unsure of is the White Strips, I heard they have been linked to tongue cancer. Is this just a rumor?

Today I ate:

Serving of Tuna

One Egg

One Toast

One Salad

Three handfuls of grapes

A couple of large strawberries

A handful of carrots

A venison hot stick

4 oz chicken breast

Mashed Potatoes

Whole grain bagel with omega 3

Handful of raspberries

Banana

A good portion of baked tostitos with mild salsa

That is not enough?

This is not my usual diet, I made all my food for myself today so I guess I will keep track of how much I eat for a while.

Another thing I forget to mention is that even though I make progress in lifting weights it seems to have no effect on my size. Although I have not been dedicated to lifting for an extremely long amount of time.

I'm not sure how old you are but it could just take a few years for you to put on more weight and "fill out" or bulk up. I see this a lot where people are skinny in their late teens and early twenties and a few years later they look really different. Everyones body grows and stops growing at different times. Nonetheless, I would get a different doctors opinion on the situation if you're really concerned about it.

Red marks: As everyone has said, they will all fade with time. I had this red mark/scar right on the tip of my nose (I think I accidently broke a little bloodartery when squeezing). It didn't go away until about two years passed. Patience!

Teeth: Maybe it's because of your constant snacking and eating that their are changing colour? I remember my dentist once mentioning that it isn't good for your teeth to eat all the time, since the acids/saliva in the mouth can't keep up and clean your mouth properly.

Weight: Well, there really isn't much you can do. Since your uncles did gain more weight at some point in their lives, I can not see why you wouldn't too.

Thanks. I looked at my teeth this morning and they seemed to look a lot less yellow. I have a feeling that you are right. I'm trying to be patient but with the red marks I'm scared that my body will become immune to the antibiotics before they go away. Also I still get some acne here and there which isn't helping. I am hoping to start a very strict diet this summer and get a lot of exercise so hopefully my body can cure it naturally.

Today I ate:

Serving of Tuna

One Egg

One Toast

One Salad

Three handfuls of grapes

A couple of large strawberries

A handful of carrots

A venison hot stick

4 oz chicken breast

Mashed Potatoes

Whole grain bagel with omega 3

Handful of raspberries

Banana

A good portion of baked tostitos with mild salsa

That is not enough?

This is not my usual diet, I made all my food for myself today so I guess I will keep track of how much I eat for a while.

Another thing I forget to mention is that even though I make progress in lifting weights it seems to have no effect on my size. Although I have not been dedicated to lifting for an extremely long amount of time.

While that may seem like a lot you ate, it probably falls short under 2000 calories (this is just a rough guess, keep a food log and add up all the calories and protein you get from eating those). When I was bulking I honestly hated stuffing down food, so get some whey! Nothing too complex or expensive, any cheap whey will do you good. Add in enough stuff and you can make a 1000 calorie drink, and trust me, whey shakes make bulking a lot easier. Another great bulking friend was natural peanut butter. You'll want to consume 2 grams of protein per pound, and natty PB is tasty and has lots of protein and calories per serving.

As far as your workout concerns, the general outline for gaining mass is lifting 5-8 reps. Anything lower is to gain strength, and anything higher is to gain endurance. I seriously recommend you follow this routine: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

It's a proven routine, testimonials can be found on the forum. Simply put, follow that routine, and you WILL grow.

Not even a year ago I weighed 135 at 5'9, and my mom and dad are not exactly big, but eating and lifting hard for over the winter and I gained over 40 pounds. Granted your body does not look its best after a bulk, but thats what a cut is for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Sna...us/DSC02636.jpg

^ Me when I was 135

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Sna...us/DSC03419.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Sna...us/DSC03535.jpg

^ Me at 145, after my bulk to 175. Even though I am only about 10 pounds more than when I started, you can definitely see the difference of what bulking can accomplish.

I don't have a pic of my at 175, but just know that I was very chubby. However my strength did not change, I'm still able to bench two 95 dumbells, the same as what I was lifting at 175.

You can do it man. As Sir Francis Bacon said, "Knowledge is Power". There are so many misconceptions and myths about lifting, so read up on lifting as much as you can. Like I said before, sign up for the forum at wannabebig.com. Add the word 'Applied' to the above quote, and you will gain weight.

But know that happiness cannot be found exclusively on the external. Even though I successfully accomplished my weight-lifting goals, nothing changed in terms of how I was viewed. People honestly only care about personality, if you have a great personality, your physical shortcomings will not matter. If only I knew this one year back, things could've been a lot different for me...

bro red marks can sometimes take atleast 6 months to fade. I had redmarks badly and some of them took a very long time to fade and i was very down about them and felt embarrased.. But over time they faded and now its all completely gone.

Im also around the same weight as you and alil shorter.. My weight sux too i can NEVER gain a pound, but my advice is workout and focus on getting stronger, and over time size will come.

I can't really work out in a gym but I do have an exercise machine at home. Do I have to do the exact exercises or can I do ones that work the same muscle? Also do you know of a good site that has an example of what you would eat in a day while lifting, or suggestions for meals?

Thanks for the help. I understand personality is the most important and thats what I focus on but I just want to be the best I can be.

I can't really work out in a gym but I do have an exercise machine at home. Do I have to do the exact exercises or can I do ones that work the same muscle? Also do you know of a good site that has an example of what you would eat in a day while lifting, or suggestions for meals?

Thanks for the help. I understand personality is the most important and thats what I focus on but I just want to be the best I can be.

Hahaha I know what you mean about working out in a gym. I hate that, I did that last yr, with a friend of course, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be because no1 seemed to pay attention to anything other than themselves so it was good, but usually i feel uncomfortable in a gym, like im going to wanna compete with other people and feel embarrased compared to the bigger guys.

What I do is ONCE a week I workout every muscle group, well the major muscle groups Shoulders (front and middle), Back (lower and middle) Chest (upper, middle, and alil bit of lower) Traps, neck, triceps and biceps. Once a week I spend about an hour- more than an hour working out everything. Then after that at night after work I'll just do what I like to call stress relief sets, where i'll lift the heaviest weight possible of whtver i feel like doin, so its not a set workout, its just kill some stress by doing a really heavy benching set where i can only squeeze out 3-4 reps for 2 or 3 sets, and then a few sets of curling with very heavy weights.

I dont really get bigger, nd 1 problem is i work alot and am usually too busy to stop and eat 6 times a day. But every night before bed i cook 7 liquid egg whites in melted cheese, and the egg whites r great. Its a dense meal, good to have right before bed, and liquid egg whites r the best high source of protein around. I had a BAD tendonitis case in my wrist that would act up so bad my hand would feel like it was broken, this would act up on an off for nearly a yr. I even had 2 get an mri to see if it was a tear requiring surgery. Ever since i started eating egg whites every day before bed, my wrist in 5-6 weeks has been nearly 100% and has yet to act up since..

a good website for exercises you can use to build a good workout routine is shapefit.com Tey hve every muscle group broken down wit seperate exercises, and they have motion pictures to show exactly how t perform each exercise along with instructions.

For eating, try to eat the minimum 3 meals a day, breakfast lunch and dinner, and try cooking egg whites before bed. I usually feel better the next morning, since i've been eating egg whites i feel stronger, my plagued with tendonitis wrist has been better, which is a huge statement because my hand got to the point where it felt broken and i couldn't even open a door without being in pain... and i have much more sex drive for some reason.. its too bad i can't meet a girl rigt now :-(

How often should I do ab exercises? At school they told us to do them twice a week but I don't really put much value into what they say.

For some reason, I feel just like you. I feel like crap, but one difference, I have yet to find something that works, so I'm constantly going "Whats my acne look like?" to my self. Half the time I run to the bathroom just to check it, I always have this feeling it gets worst or something. Strange. And then some times I don't care, mainly with close family. Then I go to school and one idiot kid has the guts to call me "Pizza face". I'm not short either, so they have to find something to pick fun of (Thankfully I'm an easy going kid who doesn't get that ticked off, but I feel like crap every time someone says something like that...).

So, yeah, I feel similar... O_O

How often should I do ab exercises? At school they told us to do them twice a week but I don't really put much value into what they say.

Almost all exercises in general works the core (abs), but I'd say do ab training 3 times a week, especially weighted crunches. But don't think exercise will get you a visible 6/8 pack. In terms of that, it is ALL ABOUT DIET. Every single person has a 6 pack, its just a matter of how much body fat % you have that determines if you can see it or not.

Red marks: Its already been said, but they will fade. Some topical treatments can help - finacea is particularly good at fading redness. Also retinoids and AHAs (glycolic, mandelic, and lactic acid) can help with this.

Teeth: Have you been on the antibiotic minocycline for your acne? One of the side effects of this antibiotic is the yellowing of teeth. If you are on mino and are concerned about your tooth discoloration, there are other antibiotics you can ask the doctor for.

Antibiotics can make you teeth yellow and can also cause a build up of calcium on the backside of your teeth.