Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrznKing

Is sunlight in 55 degree weather same as 100 degree weather?

Well, especially during when I have classes, I get probably 10-15 minutes of sunlight a day max outside which I heard is good so I never wore sunscreen. But now, I still am out 10-15 minutes total in the day but it's direct hard sunlight and 90-100 degrees. Is it still the same thing to not wear sunscreen and get the "healthy" sunlight or the rays are stronger and I should wear sunscreen if more than 5 minutes?

Yeah, you should definitely wear some type of sunscreen because UV rays are stronger in 100 degree weather. Sun exposure causes skin damage and premature aging over time unless you wear a sunscreen protectant. In fact, it would probably be better to wear sunscreen on your face everyday, even when its cloudy, because UV rays travel through clouds. You will still get vitamin D from sunlight even if you wear sunscreen, it just protects from burns.

...because UV rays travel through clouds. You will...

Wow I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info!

OK, awesome. That's what I needed to know. So I definately have to put some on. And I didn't know they go through clouds so that's another thing I learned :)

Um, it's not the temperature, it's the angle in the sky and how cloudy it is that matters.

When the sun is low in the sky then there's less UV-B, but UV-A is about the same. When it's high in the sky there's lots of UV-B (it's because the atmosphere is more transparent to UV-A than UV-B and the light has to go through more air to get to you when it's low down.)

Also when it's cloudy, there's less UV all round, but you can often still burn, there's still a fair amount.

p.s. it's not true about vitamin D and sunscreen- it's the UV-B that makes the vitamin D- if you're fully protected with sunscreen you don't make much vitamin D (specifically you make it 15x more slowly if you're wearing an SPF of 15).

(FWIW UV-B is the one that gives you a tan, UV-A brings out the tan you may have developed before, UV-B gives you cancer although UV-A can as well, UV-A ages you much more quickly than UV-B, UV-A and UV-B kill P.Acnes)

well temp does make a hugh diff, there is generally more uv's, which damage skin, when it is cloudy. watch your local uv numbers and check it up.

It's not the temp, it's the angle in the sky and how clear the air is.

Of course it's unlikely to be very cold with the sun out and high in the sky, but that's not why.